Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantonsen View Post
i think people get alittle far ahead of themselves thinking our industry contributes alot to canada, forestry is a larger employer and stretches country wide...

As a whole natural resources only contribute something like 17% of our national GDP,it's a surpringly small amount contrary to popular belief in this province.
Why is it that Alberta sends so much East in transfer payments then ?
Old 05-19-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
i think people get alittle far ahead of themselves thinking our industry contributes alot to canada, forestry is a larger employer and stretches country wide...

As a whole natural resources only contribute something like 17% of our national GDP,it's a surpringly small amount contrary to popular belief in this province.
If Natural Resources is on 17% of GDP where does the other 83% come from?
Old 05-19-2012, 12:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
Lol a disgrace? Should a wife let her Husband cheat on her and treat her like garbage so she doesn't seem Immoral by getting a divorce?
Many women cheat on their husbands too, but when it comes to divorce, she will be awarded for cheating and the husband will suffer for it.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:40 AM
Banned

Quote:

I think you're just making up random "facts".
Old 05-19-2012, 05:54 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Canada
Old 05-19-2012, 07:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
There was a time when school children out east in places like Nova Scotia sold pencils to earn money to top up people in the west.
It was a long time ago but...don't think for a minute that it could never happen again.

Fortunes change.

At various times in our history... beaver pelys, cod and industry have fueled the ecconomy.

The fur trade is all but dead, the cod are gone and manufacturing is down.

Anyone that thinks that oil and gas will last forever or that we can rely upon that alone to keep us on top is short sighted and supporting the same short term pedestrian thought that will in the end doom us to the same fate as Ontario and the east coast at some point in the future.

What would happen to Alberta if tomorrow someone discovered an economical way of turning water into energy and we went through another period when nobody wanted cattle from here?

Last edited by Big Daddy Badger; 05-19-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:19 AM

Can we just build a high, water tight wall around Ontario and Quebec with a bridge between Manitoba and NB? We'll call that Canada from now on and pray for rain! LoL

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Banned

It's interesting that if you get out of the "golden triangle" of Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal, that many of the attitudes people have is not much different then many westerners.

Go to rural Quebec, the heart of Separatist country, and if you could speak french, you would hear the same complaints that many here have.

Go to the country north of Ottawa towards Pembroke, and listen to the attitudes and tell me how they are different from those in Penhold, Alberta?

If you take away Vancouver, the golden triangle, and a few mislead souls in some parts of the Maritimes, the attitude of many Canadians are remarkably similar.

At least that is my experience.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:33 AM

Default Remember there are 2 cycles boom and bust

We are in a boom. Wait for the bust. Any country that doesn't have a diversified economy is in a bad spot.

I am reminded of a bumper sticker I saw 10 years ago.

"please god let there be another Alberta oil boom, I promise I won't pis$ it all away AGAIN"

It was on an old beat up civic. What do you think the bumper sticker says on his new Dodge?

And what will it say on his car 3-5-10 years from now.
My 2c
Old 05-19-2012, 11:16 AM

Default We would not have to pay for this.

http://mikespry.org/2012/05/08/quebe...e-should-want/
Old 05-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Banned

pesky;
Fortunes change.

At various times in our history... beaver pelys, cod and industry have fueled the ecconomy.

The fur trade is all but dead, the cod are gone and manufacturing is down.

Anyone that thinks that oil and gas will last forever or that we can rely upon that alone to keep us on top is short sighted and supporting the same short term pedestrian thought that will in the end doom us to the same fate as Ontario and the east coast at some point in the future.

What would happen to Alberta if tomorrow someone discovered an economical way of turning water into energy and we went through another period when nobody wanted cattle from here?

I've asked this before on the forums whether people remember the 80's in Alberta,,, but I guess most were elsewhere in the country to remember this time.

avb3;

It's interesting that if you get out of the "golden triangle" of Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal, that many of the attitudes people have is not much different then many westerners.

Go to rural Quebec, the heart of Separatist country, and if you could speak french, you would hear the same complaints that many here have.

Go to the country north of Ottawa towards Pembroke, and listen to the attitudes and tell me how they are different from those in Penhold, Alberta?

If you take away Vancouver, the golden triangle, and a few mislead souls in some parts of the Maritimes, the attitude of many Canadians are remarkably similar.

My experience too.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
check this out, www.fin.gc.ca/fedprov/mtp-eng.asp

alberta recieves more transfer payments than any province in Canada besides BC, ontario and Quebec..... newfoundland only takes in a half billion compared to albertas 3.9 billion
Old 05-19-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
check this out, www.fin.gc.ca/fedprov/mtp-eng.asp

alberta recieves more transfer payments than any province in Canada besides BC, ontario and Quebec..... newfoundland only takes in a half billion compared to albertas 3.9 billion
All you need to look at is the per capita allocation at the bottom of each of those charts. now you can be quiet.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
All you need to look at is the per capita allocation at the bottom of each of those charts. now you can be quiet.
this goes back to the other point... remember alberta in the eighty's? Natural gas is at a 10 year low allready, if oil gets kicked in the gut too it'll be pretty rough.

50 years from now all those mines in fortmac will be played out and most sagd in production today will be done.... what then? If I live near what my great granparents have I'll probably see the end of tarsands extraction
Old 05-19-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Well said!
Old 05-19-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
X2....

It is truly amazing how people can twist cold hard stats to suit any cause...

Alberta receives the least "per capita" and we have no where near the amount of people here as in Ontario and Quebec....

Do the math....dantonsen....

LC
Old 05-19-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
this goes back to the other point... remember alberta in the eighty's? Natural gas is at a 10 year low allready, if oil gets kicked in the gut too it'll be pretty rough.

50 years from now all those mines in fortmac will be played out and most sagd in production today will be done.... what then? If I live near what my great granparents have I'll probably see the end of tarsands extraction
The bs in the 80s was brought on by the NEP wasnt it ?
I remember them well,friends lost their homes due to eastern Canada politicians trying to nationalize our natural resources.

If we need to ship oil money east,how about they ship some of their hydro money back in return ?

Its been way to 1 sided for too long,when the manufactoring sector does well,they dont worry or think of us,when it isnt all of a sudden the politicians make it our fault
Old 05-19-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
X2....

It is truly amazing how people can twist cold hard stats to suit any cause...

Alberta receives the least "per capita" and we have no where near the amount of people here as in Ontario and Quebec....

Do the math....dantonsen....

LC
strip out non- renewable resource revenues and alberta would need a whole tonne more

key word- NON- renewable, in my life time or my generations childrens life time they will see the end of this revenue stream,, thats not very far off
Old 05-19-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
strip out non- renewable resource revenues and alberta would need a whole tonne more

key word- NON- renewable, in my life time or my generations childrens life time they will see the end of this revenue stream,, thats not very far off
forestry ,farming both are renewable
Old 05-19-2012, 02:16 PM

Default Flood Quebec!

http://www.freealberta.com/transfer_payments.html

We have been doing the heavy lifting for a long time. Those who crap on us get a free ride, cut them adrift!

Quebec is a welfare state and it is paid for by our labour and our resources.

Set them free if they need money to pay for their programs let them flood the rest of their province and sell the power to the US!

Why should we fund programs that no one else could afford? Why do we have the lowest per capita representation in Ottawa. We are paying everyone's way and being refused proportionate representation in Ottawa.

Alberta welcome to Confederation, we got the dirty end of the stick in this deal.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyelk View Post
http://www.freealberta.com/transfer_payments.html

We have been doing the heavy lifting for a long time. Those who crap on us get a free ride, cut them adrift!

Quebec is a welfare state and it is paid for by our labour and our resources.

Set them free if they need money to pay for their programs let them flood the rest of their province and sell the power to the US!

Why should we fund programs that no one else could afford? Why do we have the lowest per capita representation in Ottawa. We are paying everyone's way and being refused proportionate representation in Ottawa.

Alberta welcome to Confederation, we got the dirty end of the stick in this deal.
Good points,why are we funding programs in another province we cant afford ourselfs ?
We should have a country wide referendum,question being Does Quebec stay or go,that would shut them up,maybe their students should take a long hard look at the cost of tuition in other provinces,day care subsidies ect aqll are robbing from our children/grandchildren
Old 05-19-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

So your saying if we remove 30 to 40 percent of the population most people would see the world the same way. yeah remove the left and your mostly left with right leaning folk.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
maybe their students should take a long hard look at the cost of tuition in other provinces,day care subsidies ect aqll are robbing from our children/grandchildren
Maybe it's just time for some boots on the ground, we've had to go in before to restore order in this province.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:15 PM

I just find it hard to comprehend that we are subsidizing their education,when I cant afford to send my own son.
Yup boots on the ground and up a few butts may be just what the spoiled kids need to grow up.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
maybe their students should take a long hard look at the cost of tuition in other provinces,day care subsidies ect aqll are robbing from our children/grandchildren
Their students don't care about the people here in Alberta. They have been raised to believe that they are better/more deserving than the people here.

I have a younger (21 yr. old) cousin in Ontario who believes that Alberta's oil money should be used to make college & university eduction free across Canada. When I questioned her on the morality of this, her response was: "Who cares? The real power in Canada is here in Ontario. Alberta is ours to do what we want with. Get over it." When I told her that it may not always be this way, that Alberta may eventually get tired of it and leave, she laughed & said: "Do you really think that we would allow that?! We would send the army in to crush any uprising & kill those who where causing the trouble. No, Alberta is ours and always will be".

This is the attitude of many of her college classmates as well. I wonder how many others out east think like this as well?

Last edited by Hagalaz; 05-19-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-19-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagalaz View Post
Their students don't care about the people here in Alberta. They have been raised to believe that they are better/more deserving than the people here.

I have a younger (21 yr. old) cousin in Ontario who believes that Alberta's oil money should be used to make college & university eduction free across Canada. When I questioned her on the morality of this, her response was: "Who cares? The real power in Canada is here in Ontario. Alberta is ours to do what we want with. Get over it." When I told her that it may not always be this way, that Alberta may eventually get tired of it and leave, she laughed & said: "Do you really think that we would allow that?! We would send the army in to crush any uprising & kill those who where causing the trouble. No, Alberta is ours and always will be".

This is the attitude of many of her college classmates as well. I wonder how many others out east think like this as well?
Well lets shut the taps off,and send the oil else where,that and have our own vote on getting a distinct society clause like Quebec or ba seperation vote,that may wake a few up
Old 05-19-2012, 03:58 PM

Take a page out of the Quebec playbook, separate and offer all military folks stationed Alberta citizenship and annex the bases and equipment. Fair exchange for transfer of payments our own army and air force. Sadly the resupply of munitions and equipment is all in central Canada. Guess we can trade oil or beef for it.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:

Yeah, and if you keep electing PC governments that money will be gone before you're wearing diapers.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

Very true.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Banned

Why not let the U of A students riot demanding equality with Quebec.

This province is getting cleaned out and cleaned out fast, with nothing for Albertans.