Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-19-2015, 09:48 PM

Turkey and non-trophy sheep this year. will definitely draw both. I have priority for archery antelope and wainwright deer but waiting on a few successive easy winters to bring up the population a bit first.

The priority 10 cap is yet another idiotic idea by our incompetent F&W. A fair system that doesn't become on impossible pyramid with new applicants having to wait for 100s of others to either die or quit applying like wmu 437 sheep is to enter a priority 1 hunter once in the draw, priority 2 2x and so on. the first time applicant has a chance of drawing but the 20x applicant has a far better chance and everyone has a chance to draw a premium sheep tag before they are 80 and crippled.

This idea is so simple and fair that there is no way that our restrictive and antiquated F&W would ever consider it. Better to restrict people further than to open things up for all in their eyes.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
Whoa, where on earth does it say that an Alberta resident is prohibited from purchasing the service of a guide? I'm new to hunting so I have no idea how that would work, would be great if someone could clarify thanks
An Alberta resident can hire an outfitter, but he can't use an outfitters non resident allocations, because he is not a non resident.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
An Alberta resident can hire an outfitter, but he can't use an outfitters non resident allocations, because he is not a non resident.
Much appreciated
Old 05-19-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
Alberta relm says that big game draw applications will be available on June 2! Anytime that they want to release the new draw booklet ( yea, yea, I know it's online only) is fine by me. Priority caps? Split seasons? New separate seasons? Come what may, just bring it on already!

There is a very strong possibility that all proposed regulation amendments for the 2015 season (Suffleld bull elk, archery draw seasons, new archery seasons, priority cap, etc.) will not happen due to the timing and results of the election.

Without a legislature sitting the regulation changes cannot be made. If the amendments cannot be approved by the gov. in time for the draw application period then the 2014 regulations will be extended for the 2015 season.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-19-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
There is a very strong possibility that all proposed regulation amendments for the 2015 season (Suffleld bull elk, archery draw seasons, new archery seasons, priority cap, etc.) will not happen due to the timing and results of the election.

Without a legislature sitting the regulation changes cannot be made. If the amendments cannot be approved by the gov. in time for the draw application period then the 2014 regulations will be extended for the 2015 season.
Yup this is very likely....I had heard something to this effect at least a month ago, possibly longer that things did not progress with the changes the way they were expected to....even before the election was called.

LC
Old 05-19-2015, 11:21 PM

I'm anxious aswell for the draw book to come out.....is it not usally out by now?
Old 05-20-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
I'm anxious aswell for the draw book to come out.....is it not usally out by now?
All the info you need.

http://www.mywildalberta.com/hunting...Timetable.aspx
Old 05-20-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Yup this is very likely....I had heard something to this effect at least a month ago, possibly longer that things did not progress with the changes the way they were expected to....even before the election was called.

LC
If the legislature was not suspended for the election we would have had some version of a 2015 Regulation amendment with or without some of the more contentious changes. The Wildlife Act renewal/amendments for 2015 was suspended due to difficulties incurred by some of the proposed changes, not the election.

But for sure there is a huge backlog of work within F&W. It is time to get re-organized, starting at the beginning, not the end. Much of the policy guidelines directed to be completed back in the late 80's has yet to be written. As a result we are working with an ad hoc playbook running on whims. I can't help but be reminded of my elementary school flag football days....

I am happy to say there are individuals within F&W that are working tirelessly to get the system back on track. I hope they get to stick around to finish the job.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-20-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

Boy I hope this is the case. Ive waited seven years to get my mule deer draw and I'm hoping I can scout/bow hunt.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:39 PM

AO Twitter account just announced the Draw Book is off the press!

Alberta Outdoorsmen ‏@ABOutdoorsmen 7m7 minutes ago
The 2015 Alberta Hunting Draws booklet is off the press! Will be at F&W offices and licence issuers soon.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnage View Post
AO Twitter account just announced the Draw Book is off the press!

Alberta Outdoorsmen ‏@ABOutdoorsmen 7m7 minutes ago
The 2015 Alberta Hunting Draws booklet is off the press! Will be at F&W offices and licence issuers soon.
it's not even online yet (i did a furious scramble to see)
Old 05-20-2015, 08:01 PM

Default Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondhitch View Post
" All the info you needed last year"!
Old 05-20-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
" All the info you needed last year"!
and the year before and the year before that and the year before that. The dates are fixed.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:53 PM

im only p1 on everything, so itll be general WT and the 2 supplemental tags for me. maybe do general elk too.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:57 PM

Default Fixed dates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondhitch View Post
and the year before and the year before that and the year before that. The dates are fixed.
Last years application dates started June 3 and this years start on June 2, does that sound like a fixed date to you?
Old 05-20-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Last years application dates started June 3 and this years start on June 2, does that sound like a fixed date to you?
Nope ! YES DEAR taking Redfrog out for Icecream after his vasectomy sounds like a fixed date!!!!

Sorry Froggy couldn't help myself lol!!
Old 05-21-2015, 07:44 AM

Still waiting on my elk(priority 6) in 102 and antelope(priority 8) in 102. My muley is a 4 this year. Brother and hunting buddy are both 5's in that zone. May "9" all 3 as I still have a pipe dream of harvesting WT, Mule, Antelope, and Elk in one zone in one season. But patience is a virtue that I don't have. Plus, the processing and possible taxidermy bill would be out of this world! Would be a cool story though. I'm calling it my "Pinhorn Slam" if it ever comes to fruition. Just need to wait I guess. See how itchy the trigger finger gets once the draws open up!
Old 05-21-2015, 07:53 AM

Good luck with the draws everybody. I'll be in trade school hopefully this fall so that's gonna cut into my hunting quite a bit. Ah well 999 for me
Old 05-22-2015, 02:31 PM

Default Got mine figured out

I got my Bull Moose draw 2 years in a row hope to get it again. Mulie Buck and Cow Elk should also be drawn for me. Whatever I don't get though, I will try and knock one down in the Bow Zone.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:35 PM

Where the heck is the new draw Book!!!!!
Old 05-25-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Ya it does.

First Monday in June genius, every single year. Just like so many other easy to remember, and predict, dates.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:09 PM

End of the month, now settle down or Santa(ESRD Minister) will give you all a lump of coal.

I've seen 3 yr olds in my wife's day home show more restraint!

It's the same every year, and no matter if your draws go in on day 1 or at the last hour, the outcome will be the outcome.

Go have a tot, and chill.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-26-2015, 09:41 AM

Default Draws are out

The draw booklets are out now! Thanks to the all knowing Diamondhitch for his contributions to this thread!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:48 AM

And it looks like not a whole lot has changed.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-26-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
The draw booklets are out now! Thanks to the all knowing Diamondhitch for his contributions to this thread!
Where?
Old 05-26-2015, 10:03 AM

Here's the link

http://albertaregulations.ca

Hopefully this works
Old 05-26-2015, 10:04 AM

http://albertaregulations.ca/hunting-draws-2015.html
Old 05-26-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
Thanks.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:27 AM

500 zone archery moose hunters won't be happy

Things did not get resolved in time to change....now with a new Government who knows what's gonna happen!

LC
Old 05-26-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
500 zone archery moose hunters won't be happy

Things did not get resolved in time to change....now with a new Government who knows what's gonna happen!

LC

Perhaps a bright light in all the NDP darkness.....we may have an opening to have some input into future changes as it looks like many things were put on hold by previous govt.