Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-30-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpac View Post
To better answer your questions and get more of my opinions. If a beer keg is made with aluminum it can't be a stove. The keg size you state would be a big size stove, I think a 5 gallon pail is a large stove.

If you burn your keg vertical you will have a hot cook top and can use rocket stove features. I have not built a large stove with my new inside feed tube idea but there is no reason it would not work as good as my #10 can size stove.

Do not pick a plan for a stove that runs a hot chimney and needs a spark arrestor.

Why do some hot tenters go camping? answer, to keep the tent hot.
Like why have an army? answer to keep the barracks clean
I'm pretty sure it's Stainless Steel, so that shouldn't be a problem, and I was thinking of adding a flat top to it for a kettle.

I should probably spend more time looking at plans before I jump in.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:08 AM

make sure your stove can is big enough to hold wood for the night . put a damper on the pipe

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 04-30-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
We use this stove. There are a couple of different sizes. Bigger is better. If you load it up with the biggest pieces of wood that will fit in it and damp it right off it will burn 8 hours. Also install a damper in the stove pipe and damp it off.
X3,
for 25+ years now.

It is lightweight, the legs are a bit flimsy, other than that use it as described above and it will serve its purpose.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
make sure your stove can is big enough to hold wood for the night . put a damper on the pipe
Schedule 2, 3 or however many hours out of your camping day hauling, cutting wood.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpac View Post
Schedule 2, 3 or however many hours out of your camping day hauling, cutting wood.
Maybe a hour at most .

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 05-02-2015, 11:37 AM

Default stove

Just to set record straight, we spend about 1 hour cutting dry popular/aspen wood end up with almost a cord of wood, hunt all fall until December, then usually leave a good pile of wood. My father had a general store in Peace country and sold hundreds of the airtight heaters same design over 60 years ago to homestead farmers. They raised families of over 10 children in quite large poorly insulated homes and never froze in -50oC weather. Your hunting tent will be toasty warm all night.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:03 PM
Banned

You can cut the heat lost out the chimney like keep the heat in the tent by running the chimney (riser pipe) from any stove up inside a 5 gallon pail then letting out the smoke at the bottom into a chimney to outside.
No sparks no super hot chimney.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:28 PM

So, I picked up a stove off kijiji for 20$. It's a home-made jobby out of 1/8" steel, it'll do the job no problem, lots of space, comes with a grate and everything.

My only question, what do you guys use for vent/chimney, I was thinking I'd use 28ga single wall ducting, we used to call it c-vent when I was working in HVAC, is this the correct stuff to use?
Old 05-20-2015, 07:14 AM
Banned

Default chimney

I am sure that the ducting would work fine just be careful not to breathe any fumes from the galvanized pipe when the zinc coating gets hot the first time.

I was camping last weekend with my tarp wood stove/chimney in the cool wet weather. Most people in the camp ground slept in big shinny motor homes Everyone spent some time sitting around an open fire in the wind and sometimes rain.
My opinion is that a stove should be in the center of your tent so all can sit around the fire and enjoy the radiant heat like the sun from the fire.
If the stove is in the center the chimney has to go through the roof. You then have to fix the hot spark burning holes in your tent problem.
The best way to stop the sparks and nearly double the heat output of your stove is to run the chimney as a riser pipe up inside to near the top of a 5 gallon pail and take the smoke out the bottom of the pail.
If you go with straight pipe ,no elbows you can use tapered pipe that nests one section inside the other for storage.

Last edited by chimpac; 05-20-2015 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:19 AM

I've got a hard time visioning this pail Chimpac. Have you got a picture?
Old 05-20-2015, 10:33 PM
Banned

Default picture

I have not yet fitted a regular stove with a rocket type 5 gallon heat exchanger so I do not have a picture.
It would be easy to make. Turn the 5 gallon can upside down and cut a hole in the lid for the entrance of the stove chimney (riser pipe). Let the can rest on the top of the stove and cut the chimney off about 1.5" from the inside of the inverted now can top.
For the chimney taking the smoke out of the can use an elbow on lower side of the can to connect the stove pipe to take the smoke out straight up through the roof.
The chimney will run much cooler so you can use a simple 2 piece metal stove jack that is easy to make if anyone is interested.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...pac+stove+jack
post 12

Last edited by chimpac; 05-20-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:00 PM

Default Temperature Control

I have a 14x12 wall tent with from Deluxe, use a 5 dog stove with a Camfro Ecofon to circulate the air. Stays pretty warm during the night. Someone always had to get up and fill it up during the night plus depending on the wood would run hot and cook us out of the tent. So this fall I built a temperature controller that measures the tent internal temperature and runs a 12 v fan to modulate the air into the stove. Basically I use a small micro processor, switches, lcd display, temperature probe and I built an adapter to position the fan over the air holes on the stove door. Ran it all during hunting season last fall and it worked great. I would set the temperature around 13 C and it held all night long. It maximized the burn time on the wood. I have attached a few pictures. I have extra parts and was considering building more if there were any interested guys out there. Electronics and fan would be the same would just need to build an adapter for other stoves. It all ran on a 12 v car battery that I kept topped up with a solar panel. Let me know what you think. I have more pictures, PM me and I can email them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1665.jpg (14.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1526.jpg (27.7 KB, 58 views)
Old 06-24-2015, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQGuru123 View Post
I have a 14x12 wall tent with from Deluxe, use a 5 dog stove with a Camfro Ecofon to circulate the air. Stays pretty warm during the night. Someone always had to get up and fill it up during the night plus depending on the wood would run hot and cook us out of the tent. So this fall I built a temperature controller that measures the tent internal temperature and runs a 12 v fan to modulate the air into the stove. Basically I use a small micro processor, switches, lcd display, temperature probe and I built an adapter to position the fan over the air holes on the stove door. Ran it all during hunting season last fall and it worked great. I would set the temperature around 13 C and it held all night long. It maximized the burn time on the wood. I have attached a few pictures. I have extra parts and was considering building more if there were any interested guys out there. Electronics and fan would be the same would just need to build an adapter for other stoves. It all ran on a 12 v car battery that I kept topped up with a solar panel. Let me know what you think. I have more pictures, PM me and I can email them.
That is genius!

I built a bigger stove because most wood stoves made for tents were too small to stack up for the night.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang_on_sk View Post
So, I picked up a stove off kijiji for 20$. It's a home-made jobby out of 1/8" steel, it'll do the job no problem, lots of space, comes with a grate and everything.

My only question, what do you guys use for vent/chimney, I was thinking I'd use 28ga single wall ducting, we used to call it c-vent when I was working in HVAC, is this the correct stuff to use?
So I got tired of the seems leaking creosote and re burning inside the tent. Smoky at times and smelly. So I got some 4 ft sections of galvanized stove pipe, tuned it upside down so the seems drip back into each other. Cut the crimped end off the bottom so it is flat to the air tight. Welded the diameter seem and tack welded the heck out of the vertical seem.

I now have one solid 8 ft piece of pipe with a damper. It goes from the stove right out of the tent. I kept one section of black pipe that I screw into the top and it has a rain cover. Creosote now drips back into the stove or out the top of the pipe but it is so high that it cools off fast and don't drip down the outside very far. Absolutely have to do a real hot burn in your driveway or back yard first to knock off the galvanized coating. 3 yrs of use, works slick, no issues. No problem to haul on my 4 ft tub trailer as moose camp is 12 km from the truck.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:27 AM

nice stoves