Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-03-2015, 02:11 PM

Default Any Wild Boar Problems?

Looking to see if there are any farmers or ranchers that would let me come out and try to help rid them of their Boar problems?
I am in medicine hat but will gladly drive a fair ways to put some meat in my freezer.

please pm me if you have any info, thanks in advance.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:20 PM

Good luck
Old 02-03-2015, 06:11 PM
Banned

Ahhhhhhhhh...... the mythical alberta wild boar. Been a long time since someone posted getting one.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:35 PM

They arent a problem out here like they are in the southern states.
Chances of an average man coming across one in the bush is incredibly low.
Good luck!
Old 02-03-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scourge18a View Post
Looking to see if there are any farmers or ranchers that would let me come out and try to help rid them of their Boar problems?
I am in medicine hat but will gladly drive a fair ways to put some meat in my freezer.

please pm me if you have any info, thanks in advance.
Pretty sure anyone with a wild boar "problem" is more than happy to look after it themselves

LC
Old 02-04-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Pretty sure anyone with a wild boar "problem" is more than happy to look after it themselves

LC
Yeah this is a HUNTING forum and all. Lots of us farm too, but I'll take care of "problem" animals myself. Thanks for the offer lol
Old 02-04-2015, 09:53 AM

Ive got an area, have permission and all. seen them in the summer, and a lot of dammage from them in the fall. Gonna go this set of days off and place a couple of cameras and some bait and try to see if there still around. Hopefully get one at least on camera. I'll post pics if iam succsesful.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:45 PM

Sounds fun, paintchips. Hope you are.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:14 PM

I have been out in Alberta for the last 20 years or so and have seen a total of five, three up in the Joussard area about 15 years ago and two North of Peace River,

I spend a lot of time traveling the back roads and all over the North, I talk to a lot of people and anyone who knows about them is keeping it pretty quiet,

My read is that there are likely pockets here and there but they are very few and far between
Old 02-11-2015, 10:23 AM

Default camera is out

I placed a camera out in my area that I have seen them. When I get out on days off I'am gonna check it out and add more bait. hopefully Ï can get some pics up, to give us verification that there is still some out there.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:50 PM

They are in the background
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (25.8 KB, 944 views)
Old 02-11-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
They are in the background
Very cool picture, they were just going down the side of a road?
Old 02-11-2015, 10:08 PM

West YellowHead County has a Bounty on Wild Pigs

http://www.producer.com/2012/11/albe...r-eradication/

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/03/26...p-exterminator

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/03/23...wild-boar-woes

David
Old 02-11-2015, 11:01 PM

Default Boars

And here's the keys to my new truck and house my family farm is 127 yrs old and I'm the only pig hunter on it. Hahahahaha we usually take couple
Every second year. True albertan privilege. Hahaha
Old 02-11-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintchips View Post
Ive got an area, have permission and all. seen them in the summer, and a lot of dammage from them in the fall. Gonna go this set of days off and place a couple of cameras and some bait and try to see if there still around. Hopefully get one at least on camera. I'll post pics if iam succsesful.
Sounds to me with your agenda mabey the land owner needs to inquire on somebody a little more serious given your commitment stated on your effectiveness as culling vermin and the damage taking place because of your own agenda,mabey MR from med hat can make your promised landowner that you've blown smoke to,just may be able to handle a true problem that very few fortunately half to deal with.just sayin not tryin to ruffle anybody, but i do realize by numerous threads just how many people are or want to help others out for there own personal agendas given nothing goin on this time of year to have a 1% chance at a hog
Old 02-12-2015, 06:27 AM

would ya mind sending a pm, if not an overly far distance I would love to come take a couple my self. I would have no problem coming and meeting ya first and shaking hands and introdicing myself to be able to hunt them if that would be alright. I have every second weekend off. If not bud I completely understand. Great pic though. I hope to get some on my trail cam, I will be hopefully seeing pics in a week.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret coulee View Post
Sounds to me with your agenda mabey the land owner needs to inquire on somebody a little more serious given your commitment stated on your effectiveness as culling vermin and the damage taking place because of your own agenda,mabey MR from med hat can make your promised landowner that you've blown smoke to,just may be able to handle a true problem that very few fortunately half to deal with.just sayin not tryin to ruffle anybody, but i do realize by numerous threads just how many people are or want to help others out for there own personal agendas given nothing goin on this time of year to have a 1% chance at a hog
I have no problem taking someone with me to help out for sure. When they were spotted it was early fall and we were in equipment in the field, no rifle. As for the blownin smoke Im not sure what yer meaning there. I get out as much as I, work away and only a few days off at a time, with his prperty over an hour away from where I live. With setting up the camera im just trying to see if they are still there. if they are then i'll put more effort in for sure, as well as be willing to take somone along to help out.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:30 AM

Sounds like you got a dang good thing goin there.most people dont have a lead like that to have an opportunity on any wild hog.i hope you get em,I'll be chearin you on.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:36 PM

I for one wish we had a feral hog problem. Probably most on here secretly do too. Certainly would trade the feral horses for feral hogs.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
I for one wish we had a feral hog problem. Probably most on here secretly do too. Certainly would trade the feral horses for feral hogs.
No, I've seen what even a few of those buggers on the loose can do. The horses have nothing on them.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingaddict View Post
And here's the keys to my new truck and house my family farm is 127 yrs old and I'm the only pig hunter on it. Hahahahaha we usually take couple
Every second year. True albertan privilege. Hahaha
I've been looking for them few years, no luck so far. Wonder if possbile I can have to the opportunity hunt those boar on your land. In term of time, I can be totally flexible, up to your schedule.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:26 AM

Default Wild Pigs

I posted earlier this year on this thread that I had a camera out, and if I had pics of any pigs that came in I would post them. Well my hard work of hauling bait out to them has paid off. I checked my camera sunday and have got over 300 pics of pigs at various dates. Now i know some of you will look at the dates on the pic and see that there wrong, but thats only because I never set the date and time when I first got the camera. These are within the last month. I'll also be realistic and let you know that I will not give up the place or area as I have spent a lot of time knocking on doors and gaining access to be able to hunt the land. These are only some of the pics, the most pigs I have in one pic is a count of 10. If anyone has questions feel free to pm me. All the bait I hauled in was by hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STC_0154.jpg (53.8 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg STC_0179.jpg (51.5 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg STC_0189.jpg (64.7 KB, 463 views)
File Type: jpg STC_0197.jpg (60.7 KB, 390 views)
File Type: jpg STC_0490.jpg (50.0 KB, 363 views)
Old 05-05-2015, 08:07 AM

Thats wicked. Just because most people have never seen them don't mean they are not around. I have seen them and a friend of mine has shot 2 in mid-day just driving down the road.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:09 AM
Banned

Thats great Paintchips. Hope to see a pic. of you with one of those pests. Are you going after them with a rifle, and have you gotten any pics. of them in the daytime? Good luck.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:39 AM

Im goin after them with a rifle for now, although I'd like to buy a bow. The farmers in the area have seen them during the day, late afternoon early evening, but all the pics on my camera are at night. Because the time is wrong on the trail cam I had to do some math back at the computer for time of day and month and day. Next camera I get i'm gonna read a little more and set it up ahead of time.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:51 AM

Default pics

good luck
Old 05-05-2015, 01:32 PM

Thanks guys/gals. i'll for sure post pics if iam able to harvest one or two for sure.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:01 PM

For every actual situation where wild boars are a problem, there are hundreds of people looking to hunt them.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:48 AM

Looks like your hard work is paying off, nice!
Old 05-11-2015, 07:10 AM
Banned

There is very low chances of seeing one..been long i heard about someone hit one.