Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-02-2015, 08:43 PM

Default 2015 draws???

Anyone else getting heartburn on what tag to pull this year?

I hate the strategizing. I like the planning part but hate trying to figure out where to put in.

I have a very nice offer from a member here to help me get a bull moose. Very nice! Thanks again by the way. And a very nice offer from a former member for bull moose as well.

Then there's Mule buck. I have enough points to pull in almost all zones. I have a real good idea which zone I want but I get all nervous when it comes time to commit.

And now Turkeys. Do I want to kill a turkey? I think so. I know nothing about them though. I have never hunted that area either so that's another stresser for me.

Am I the only one that actually worries about this stuff? Gawd I'm a wuss for this.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:04 PM

The only thing I won't be 999'ing will be bull moose in my home zone. It's pretty much a guarantee I won't get it anyways. I guess mule doe will be getting drawn too lol. Other than that it's all 9's for me.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:08 PM

Well I won't get bull moose cause I got mine last year. Antlerless elk I'm a 5 and same with mule buck and antelope. I know where I can get a antler less elk with a P5 and know I won't be drawn for antelope. Not sure where to go for a descent mule buck with only a P5.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:42 PM

Hoping for that 438 sheep tag. Only chance I'll get at shooting a ram this year. Although I'll take the goat or bison also. No where close to enough points on the other animals.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:44 PM

Can't wait for the draw booklet to come out. with all the possible changes with archery it is pretty much impossible to make a plan. I will have some pretty hard decisions to make either way.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lr1000 View Post
Hoping for that 438 sheep tag. Only chance I'll get at shooting a ram this year.
Pretty sure that won't work for you.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter View Post
Can't wait for the draw booklet to come out. with all the possible changes with archery it is pretty much impossible to make a plan. I will have some pretty hard decisions to make either way.
I heard the wildlife act changes are not going through this year due to time....I wonder what that translates to in the regulations?

LC
Old 04-02-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Well I won't get bull moose cause I got mine last year. Antlerless elk I'm a 5 and same with mule buck and antelope. I know where I can get a antler less elk with a P5 and know I won't be drawn for antelope. Not sure where to go for a descent mule buck with only a P5.
P5 should be enough in most decent muley zones. You have to decide are you hunting close to home, or are you going to try a 100 or 200 zone. Scouting etc are a little bit more of a commitment. Put in your time and with a little bit of luck you can get a good one.

Do you know anyone who has land in the south?
Old 04-03-2015, 08:44 AM

I have some great priorities just don’t think Ill have time to draw for them this year. I’m going on a 10 day hunt into the Wilmore. I have a Priority 9 for Bull Moose priority 12 for trophy antelope and a priority 8 for archery antelope. Should be a bust next couple yrs. have an Idea where to draw for moose but that could change come next year.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:04 AM

Whats the trick to get my priority points on alberta relm ,just shows last years draws with no prior years ? thanks
Old 04-03-2015, 09:06 AM

I am a 6 priority for mule deer, 11 for trophy antelope, 10 for archery antelope and low priorities for everything else. I personally have not seen enough antelope to warrant drawing for it. Still trying to decide if I'm going to draw for my mule deer, I saw some good size animals last season in a zone I was thinking about changing to.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Whats the trick to get my priority points on alberta relm ,just shows last years draws with no prior years ? thanks
Not sure whats going on with relm I cant access my priorites aswell just says "Your request cannot be completed

Our apologies. We are experiencing some difficulties."
Old 04-03-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
Not sure whats going on with relm I cant access my priorites aswell just says "Your request cannot be completed

Our apologies. We are experiencing some difficulties."
Same thing is happening to me! I'm not sure about everyone else's opinions, but personally, I found that the IBM site they used to have was much easier to navigate, and had fewer problems than the current website! I miss the old site!
Old 04-03-2015, 11:41 AM

Default Draws

I'm sitting pretty with a p11 for antlered moose, saw a monster while Muley hunting last year! I also have a p12 for antlered elk so I will watching what comes of the suffeild hunt. That would be a lot of meat for one year but we have a house full of teenagers most times, not all ours, but we seem to feed them all the time! Also long shot at bison, that would make for a busy year!
Old 04-03-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I heard the wildlife act changes are not going through this year due to time....I wonder what that translates to in the regulations?

LC
If you read it on the net it must be true.

Still waiting for some answers as to regulation changes....

It is still possible that the priority cap will be instituted this year, P10 for everything.... that would effect a lot of "guaranteed" tags and plans....

And still waiting to hear how taxidermied waterfowl are considered part of a possession limit.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-03-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
And still waiting to hear how taxidermied waterfowl are considered part of a possession limit.
Where did that come from? I missed that somewhere. That's ridiculous.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Where did that come from? I missed that somewhere. That's ridiculous.
Lefty C said so in the fishing forum. I am still waiting for him to clarify. I have never heard of such a law....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-03-2015, 12:48 PM

No wonder I didn't see it. I very rarely go to the fishing forum.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:21 PM

Sitting on a p11 for elk, and wondering if recent culls have had much effect on the trophy quality where I'd like to use it.

Other than that, it's a year or two before I can pull the draws I want for other species.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Sitting on a p11 for elk, and wondering if recent culls have had much effect on the trophy quality where I'd like to use it.

Other than that, it's a year or two before I can pull the draws I want for other species.
Those culls are are not going to stop. the situation on the base is just going to get worse IMO. If your after a base hunt I would apply now.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
It is still possible that the priority cap will be instituted this year, P10 for everything.... that would effect a lot of "guaranteed" tags and plans....
Is this actually a real thing? I understand it would be to prevent hoarding, but technically on a popular draw and some crappy luck you could never be drawn.. if the number of new 10's is more then the drawn applicants.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:23 AM
Banned

Smile

Hop full il be drawing a mule tag in drum area and chasing a monster mule on land that hasn't been hunted in a decade
Old 04-04-2015, 08:46 AM

not sure i like the cap thing, in the tougher zones it will just turn into a lottery with all the 10's. Wait 10 years and could never get drawn...
Old 04-04-2015, 09:03 AM

Elk and maybe antelope for me! Plus my daughter will get her landowner cow elk. Should be a great season! With work slowing down life will be good!!!

Not too optimistic about deer as our area has taken a heating over the last couple, but a couple good winters like this will go a long ways to improving things!!
Old 04-04-2015, 11:27 AM

I should be able to draw cow elk, antlered moose and muley buck this year.
Haven't decided if I am going to 999 the moose or elk, don't need that much meat.

Curious as well with the proposed regulation changes, priority cap., split draws, landowner tags changing to antlerless. Kind of hard to make plans without knowing. Any other possible changes that I have missed that will effect draws?
Old 04-04-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Curious as well with the proposed regulation changes, priority cap., split draws, landowner tags changing to antlerless. Kind of hard to make plans without knowing. Any other possible changes that I have missed that will effect draws?
Landowner tags changing to anterless is another new one I haven't heard of! Will definitely change how I allow access to my property, out of spite.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:40 AM

I'm going to be puling me Antlered Moose tag for sure,just narrowing down the exact wmu i want to burn my P10 in.
With the forecast of a very slow year as a business owner in the oil patch i am thinking of burning my p7 & my bro P9 for mule deer.
So many decisions moose is 100% though.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:51 PM

Albertarelm won't let me check my priority points, says having technical difficulties, rest of the site works fine for me anyone else having the same problem?
Old 04-04-2015, 09:46 PM

No worries for me, yet. I need a few more years for that.
I'm looking forward to those concerns!
Old 04-04-2015, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednuck View Post
Landowner tags changing to anterless is another new one I haven't heard of! Will definitely change how I allow access to my property, out of spite.
Landowners have been spoiled all these years. Out of spite, I hope the urine of 1000 deer infest you haystack.