Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2019, 03:11 PM

Default Seattle Mariners/Seattle trip

Hey fellas, this June the lady and I are driving through BC for a week long holiday. Going to visit family, tour around, and decided to drive a little South to watch a Seattle Mariners game. Neither of us have ever been to an MLB game before. Any general tips, suggestions, or info about going to the game I might want to know of, or about Seattle in general? Not planning to stay long, possibly not even one night if we decide to drive back into BC later that night.

Last edited by A Sittn Duck; 03-12-2019 at 03:14 PM. Reason: clarified Title
Old 03-12-2019, 03:14 PM

Yeah you 1000% need to hit up the tailgating that happens pregame. The food and atmosphere is amazing. There's vendors selling all sorts of merchandise. Food. Drink. Seattle might have the best fans in the MLB. The venue is second to none. Enjoy!

ps if you catch the Jays playing there it's like a home game- for them! Unreal
Old 03-12-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Sittn Duck View Post
Hey fellas, this June the lady and I are driving through BC for a week long holiday. Going to visit family, tour around, and decided to drive a little South to watch a Seattle Mariners game. Neither of us have ever been to an MLB game before. Any general tips, suggestions, or info about going to the game I might want to know of, or about Seattle in general? Not planning to stay long, possibly not even one night if we decide to drive back into BC later that night.
I've been to a couple games with my wife and absolutely loved it. Make sure that when you buy tickets you have a view of the downtown skyline. I think that would mean sitting on the south end of the stadium, but check to be sure. The view is absolutely stunning (assuming the dome is open)! This is an absolute must.

Pike Place Market is also fun. You can burn a few hours walking around before taking a short cab ride (or walk) to Safeco.

If you're not walking to the stadium, I'd recommend parking as far away as possible. The second time we went we parked in an underground garage close to the stadium and spent 45 minutes to an hour waiting to get out of it.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:36 PM

If you can, plan it for when the Jays are playing. The experience and atmosphere is outstanding. Great ballpark to watch a game. If you can afford it stay somewhere within walking distance. Prices jump in Seattle for everything when the Jays are in town so just a thought
Old 03-12-2019, 03:39 PM

All good tips so far, keep em coming!

We havent decided what we are going to do about parking yet and we've already bought the tickets. Section 120 which is on the South side and facing North. about halfway up the lowest section so probably too low to see much skyline
Old 03-12-2019, 03:40 PM

Theyre playing Kansas City and its an afternoon game
Old 03-12-2019, 03:47 PM

I'm actually wearing a Mariners hat I got when I went to a Mariners game at Safeco field last summer (although I guess it has been renamed T-Mobile Park).

Lots of ways to get tickets, we bought some randomly from a guy outside the stadium. Don't be afraid to barter and walk away, tons around who are willing to deal on 'em.

I'm only in my 20s so when my buddy and I went, we stayed at an AirBnB and took public transit around, which worked real well for us but perhaps not what you'd be into if you're older. Still, it's a cheap, efficient and surprisingly easy way to do it. We stayed in the West Seattle/Delridge area, and I believe it was one 20 min bus ride that got us to a few blocks from the field. The AirBnB was real nice and only $60/night + the host provided snacks.

Outside of that, downtown Seattle is pretty nice just to walk around in and take in some cool architecture. Pike Place Market is super cool and touristy. A lot of other great places around also--Discovery Park, Woodland Zoo, Alki Beach, etc. I'd recommend doing a one night thing--get there early in the morning, check out the city, go to the game and have a few wobbly pops and spitz, go out on the town a bit more after the game, then go back to wherever you choose to stay, and then get up in the morning and check out a few more things then head back up into BC.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:42 PM

Went to my first MLB game at Seattle last year , great stadium, public transit is very good around the city , lots of great places to eat. Great experience
Old 03-12-2019, 05:53 PM
Banned

http://www.thecrabpotseattle.com

Dinner here. Spend the night.

ENJOY! Boeing tour is supposed to be great.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:03 PM

We were there for the Jays game last Aug.
Pretty pricey to stay close to downtown.
We stayed at a cheaper motel..think it was in Renton, and we took a lyft to downtown..
It was around 30 bucks each way but easy in and out.
Lots of fun wandering around before and after the game.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:12 PM

It's baseball which is just a beautiful way to spend an evening. Get some beers, a foot long hotdog, and some peanuts. Relax. Enjoy. I just love MLB games in person.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:28 PM

take the stadium tour if you have time
Old 03-12-2019, 08:47 PM

It’s been 13 years since I’ve been to a ball game! I sure do miss it!
Old 03-12-2019, 10:20 PM

Can easily do two days or more Seattle, Boeing plant was good tour, the market also
Old 03-13-2019, 05:27 AM

All great suggestions! Definitely going to hit some of these places up if time permits
Old 03-13-2019, 03:38 PM

I live in the Seattle suburbs and go to as many as 20 games in a season.

A few things I'd recommend:

Get there when the gates open (2 hours before first pitch) if you want to interact with the players. The beer garden in center field butts right up to the Mariners bullpen, so it will be a good opportunity to get close to the pitchers and catchers specifically. Lots of home runs going out there too so you will have a decent chance at taking a ball home. Beers are a few bucks off down there until an hour before first pitch.

Edgar's Cantina is right there in "The Pen" and has some real good Mexican food. If that's not your thing, Jack's BBQ (one of the top BBQ joints in Seattle), a burger place, pizza and more are all on that same lower level also.

If you're a bird nerd like me, be sure to take a walk through the University of Washington Arboretum. By June, much the waterfowl will likely be gone, but there will still be lots of cool stuff to look at.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:56 PM

I drove to Seattle from Pincher with my son for a football game. (Apparently the NFL is a big deal or something!)

We stayed right downtown, because we could walk everywhere. Pike Place Market is cool, and there were plenty of people fishing by the dock. We did the aquarium which was super worth it. And of course, the Ferris wheel and an all-you-can-eat seafood supper.

At the football game they had these AMAZING garlic fries which I highly recommend - unless you’re planning to get intimate in the next week or so. 😂

Funny story, there was a ton of security before the game and we had our pocketknives on us. We had to hide them in a shrub before going to the game because of the metal detectors. Oops!

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 03-14-2019, 02:50 PM

If going for a Jays game, make sure to go down at least a day early. It took us the whole day to cross the boarder!