Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-15-2015, 01:54 PM
Banned

Default is this an AO member trappers cabin?

North side of WMU 504

i remember my dad showing it to me first 10 years ago it was in a real remote location & you could go inside if need be and there was a log book. but due to new development its location isnt so remote or hard access anymore & the cabin now has a private property sign & saying its under surveillance & please use respect. I can only imagine some people finding it and wrecking it or stealing things led the owner to put up the signs, kind of sad whenever i went to its location i treated it with respect because it's not my property.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:57 PM

yes .. that was a heavy sigh of envy ....
i like it
Old 01-15-2015, 03:27 PM

Today's age you lock things up and you get vandilism. If you don't lock it up it still gets vandalism. You can't win. This is the biggest worry on my line is someone coming and doing damage at the cabin. I would be livid if I caught someone and I don't think it would be pretty. I have a couple camera hidden on mine and hope for the best. I like the one that I get a download as soon as a pic is taken. Problem is they can be hard on batteries and I got to waste time putting new batteries in them and also keep them hidden so the vandals don't see them. I also am lucky where I am I keep the local oil guys happy and they watch out for the cabin as well and tell me who is coming and going. That works real well also
Old 01-15-2015, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Today's age you lock things up and you get vandilism. If you don't lock it up it still gets vandalism. You can't win. This is the biggest worry on my line is someone coming and doing damage at the cabin. I would be livid if I caught someone and I don't think it would be pretty. I have a couple camera hidden on mine and hope for the best. I like the one that I get a download as soon as a pic is taken. Problem is they can be hard on batteries and I got to waste time putting new batteries in them and also keep them hidden so the vandals don't see them. I also am lucky where I am I keep the local oil guys happy and they watch out for the cabin as well and tell me who is coming and going. That works real well also
yeah i agree with what your saying, hard to trust people to respect it now-a-days. Ive always wondered how does a trappers cabin work even tho its on crown land?
Old 01-15-2015, 04:36 PM

I have rode my sled all over and come across working trappers cabins and old run/fallen down ones from years gone by. I also wonder if it is someone from AO. When we come up to a cabin that is obviously a active trappers, we stop, have a look to see if someone is around as we would like to say hi. Most are sled access but a couple have had a trail plowed in. Might as well introduce yourself and show your not out to cause trouble is my way of thinking. If no one is around we keep on trucking. We don't go looking for them but when your riding cutlines, you come across a few. I love coming across them as they are an unexpected surprise.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:14 PM

Have come across some old cabin ruins in my travels... I always find them fascinating.

It definitely stirs the imagination - Wondering what life would have been like when the original owner built it, etc.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Have come across some old cabin ruins in my travels... I always find them fascinating.

It definitely stirs the imagination - Wondering what life would have been like when the original owner built it, etc.
i think the exact same things, the cabin must be 50+ years old. & would have been so remote back then, the amount of game around back then too in that area. it would be cool to go back in time and experience it
Old 01-19-2015, 07:18 PM

old ones are time machines to me, even if in ruins.