Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-20-2019, 02:44 AM

Default Hoping to catch a Cutthroat Trout

I would like to knock a species off my list. Are there any Lakes/ streams accessible by road that contain cutthroat trout? Also, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
(P.S I live in Calgary, so a location within 2 hours would be nice!)
Old 08-20-2019, 04:57 AM

Depending on how far you're willing to hike, Rawson Lake is the closest place to Calgary that I can think of that has really good cuttie fishing. It's roughly a 3 km hike from the parking lot of Upper Kananaskis Lake, and if you have a float tube, it really increases your odds. It's one of the prettier lakes you can fish, so it's win / win, even if it happens to be a slow day fishing. I doubt there's a place closer to Calgary that has good cuttie fishing.

You could literally drive to Upper Kananaskis Lake and fish from shore, but it's a big, deep lake, and having a boat would help. About 1.5 hours from Calgary.

Pickle Jar Lakes is another good spot that involves hiking, a bit harder hike than Rawson, plus it's about an hour farther down Hwy 40 to the trailhead.

If you wanted to try stream / river fishing, the Old Man system is tough to beat, or the Livingston.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:06 AM

Castle or crowsnest river. Crowsnest above Lundbreck Falls has more cutties than beneath it.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:14 AM

Most of rivers/creeks along the slopes in ES1 contain cutties. The Crowsnest/ Castle/West Castle is outside of your two hour range by about 30 minutes or more, depending on where you live in Calgary.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:11 PM

Upper and Lower K both have cutties, however in my experience they are hard to fish this time of year.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:29 PM

3 hr drive & a BC licence required but the Palliser river system north of Radium can have some insane action. Logging roads get you close to the creeks. Good luck!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King