Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-15-2011, 07:37 PM

Default stocked ponds near calgary

Hi there,

I am looking for a stocked pond to fish for trout from shore with younger children (accompanying me, not as bait). Either a private stocked pond or public one is fine. As this will be the kids first fishing trip, smaller trout are great. Catching fish is probably the most important. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 AM

There is Spruce Meadows Pond. This pond has BIG Rainbows in it. Try using spinners, and slip bobbering with worms and powerbait. It actually has been getting harder to catch them, but there are lots in there. This pond is Catch and Release.

There is also Airdrie Pond. This pond has around 500-1,000 stocked catchable sized Rainbows in it. They will hardly ever bite in the day, you could try in the morning unless it's cloudy, thats good.you could also try in the morning. i've been there twice for two hours each time in the day and nothing... BUT, in the night at around 8:30-9:30, or you could try in the morning, there jumping and everything! The thing they will bite on is Slip bobber and powerbait, and i guess worms. or i have caught one on a panther martin spinner, but small hooks. I dont know if you can keep fish from here.

A great Kids fishing pond is an hour away, in Sibbald. SIBBALD MEADOWS POND! great fishing pond, the first time i went here i caught around 15 rainbows! there is a few brookies too. Use powerbait under a bobber and salmon eggs and worms, too. Or use small spinners, i caught alot on spinners. The only downside is it might have gotten fished out, it usually does quickly, you can keep i think... 2-3.

I HOPE THIS HELPS, AND GOOD LUCK!
MAV
Old 08-16-2011, 01:42 PM

thanks for the great info - does calgary have any private stocked ponds where one can pay to fish there (I saw them all over the states)?
Old 08-16-2011, 02:22 PM

+1 for Sibbald, although it's most likely near fished out. Got stocked about a month and a half ago. Gets lots of pressure and the limit is 5. Go during the weekday if you can., worms and powerbait have caught me the most there.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgall View Post
thanks for the great info - does calgary have any private stocked ponds where one can pay to fish there (I saw them all over the states)?
Some of the "lakes" in the lake communities around the city are stocked, but you need to know a resident who has lake privileges.

No one mentioned Carburn Park Pond. How is the fishing there this year? Tried it once a couple months ago with no success.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
No one mentioned Carburn Park Pond. How is the fishing there this year? Tried it once a couple months ago with no success.
All it has had for years now are small pike....the pike introduction destroyed the trout fishery, so they stopped stocking the pond about 7 years ago.

Also of note in the Calgary area is Dewitt Pond, just north of the city limits (or alternatively, just West of Airdrie's south end)....stocked twice yearly, small trout, easy access.....busy on weekends.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:42 PM

There used to be two stocked ponds behind the Bow River Inn in Cochrane, at least they were when I lived there. They had some nice trout in there. Stocked by the merchants of Cochrane I believe.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgall View Post
There used to be a couple on local u-pick farms, but they seem to no longer be in business.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Some of the "lakes" in the lake communities around the city are stocked, but you need to know a resident who has lake privileges.

same i tried carburn a couple a months ago, with no luck, is there even pike in there. what about the perch population, how is that going?
Old 08-16-2011, 05:22 PM

Drove by that Langdon pond/reservoir on 22x just east of Calgary yesterday and saw a guy with a rod by the ducks unlimited sign. Any fish in that body? If so what?
Old 08-16-2011, 05:25 PM

pike in weed lake or langdon slough off 22x . Fishing was sketchy the last few times I tried . Used to do alright in the spring
Old 08-17-2011, 12:04 PM

Default dewitt's pond

I am venturing out with a young girl that desparately wants to catch a fish for the first time. It looks like we will try dewitt's on Friday - any advice (where, bait, etc) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Old 08-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
pike in weed lake or langdon slough off 22x . Fishing was sketchy the last few times I tried . Used to do alright in the spring
Well go to the north end. Take glenmore Past langdon to Boundry road south. then go about 4 KM and your there. I caught a 12lb Pike 3 weeks ago.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Banned

Arbour Lake NW Calgary Private. You need to know someone or sneak in

When I was there couple of years ago I caught 12 trout. 1 monster 7 lb I ate it.

Limit 4 per day any size.
They stock this lake 3 times a year.
When you go swiming there you can see them come right upto you.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2097 View Post
There is Spruce Meadows Pond. This pond has BIG Rainbows in it. Try using spinners, and slip bobbering with worms and powerbait. It actually has been getting harder to catch them, but there are lots in there. This pond is Catch and Release.
Probably harder to catch because the guys using powerbait have gut hooked them all to death.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:44 PM

hello if going to dewitts, fish along the east side or the north end, i took my son to nght ago caught around 20 rainbows, released all of them the smallest was around 10 inchs biggest around 14 inches, was casting out velveta cheese and letting it sit on the bottom. i find the best times around lunch or between 3 and 7 at night, also there is the airdrie pond, my son just kills them there, fish right off the wood platform, let a piece of cheese sit about 18-24 inches in the water and hold on , litteraly get hundreds of bites, it is important to use a very small hook and a tiny piece of cheese. good luck i hope you guys have a blast/
Old 08-17-2011, 10:00 PM

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/FishWildli...ockingMap.aspx

Just use this map to find a lake near you and what was stocked.

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing...Jul12-2011.pdf

Stocking report 2011
Old 08-17-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Probably harder to catch because the guys using powerbait have gut hooked them all to death.
Trout don't move much in the heat of the summer. As the nights and days get colder...the trout fishing gets hotter.

It is true however...bait kills far to many trout to ever be a good fishing method when planning to release. Kill what you want when regulations allow but then stop fishing...or switch to a non bait fishing method...

Cheers

Sun
Old 08-18-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Drove by that Langdon pond/reservoir on 22x just east of Calgary yesterday and saw a guy with a rod by the ducks unlimited sign. Any fish in that body? If so what?
I fished there 3 times during last winter and three times this spring and ended up with one little pike so I'm going to wait a year or two until I try again.

Tags
calgary, kids, pond, stocked, trout