Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-04-2008, 10:04 AM

Question Fishing in Canmore/ Kananaskis Areas - Recommendations needed

Hello

I'm in the Canmore/ Kananaskis area for a couple of weeks and looking for some good spots to go fishing.

Any good suggestions welcome

Thanks in advance
Ian
Old 09-04-2008, 01:00 PM

What kind of fishing do you want to do? Shore, boat, float tube?

If you don't mind a bit of hike, Rawson Lake is a nice cuttie lake. Pickle Jar Lakes is also a nice place, although the fish aren't as big. Here's one of the Pickle Jar Lakes earlier this summer, the scenery is very nice:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-04-2008, 01:03 PM

Really looking for some places where we can shore fish, as we don't have a boat or float tunes (yet)

Thanks!
Ian
Old 09-04-2008, 01:14 PM

You can fish from shore from most of the small lakes in Kananaskis, and I think that you would want a boat fishing the larger ones like Upper / Lower Kananaskis Lake, Spray Lake, etc.

Rawson and Pickle Jar Lakes are both about a 5 km hike. Elbow Lake is shorter, about 1.5 or 2 kms if my memory is correct. Wedge Pond is stocked with Arctic Grayling and it's right off of HW 40. Chester Lake is another one that used to fish good, but I haven't been there for a number of years. There are a lot of choices actually, but you might have to hike for a few kms.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:35 AM

Scott, thanks for the suggestions - really useful to know - my problem is that i'll be fishing with my dad/ uncle, and they do not really want to have to hike 5km before reaching some good fishing spots

If you (or anyone else) have any further suggestions for lakes/ ponds which are easily acccesible please post!

Thanks again - much appreciated!
Old 09-05-2008, 09:59 AM

It sounds like maybe the Upper / Lower Kananaskis Lakes might be what you want to try. I've never had much luck on the upper lake, but I've got some nice bulls on the lower lake the odd time. They are a bit of a drive from Canmore though. Quarry Pond might be worth trying as it is right in Canmore, but I haven't fished it for a few years. Plus there is always the Bow River.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:45 AM

As mention previously wedge is easily accessible and I would add Gap lake (on the 1a between Canmore and Exshaw)
Old 09-05-2008, 11:05 AM

thanks guys

Any hints/ tips on fishing methods? We fly fish and spin - is bait fishing allowed/ effective?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:21 PM

I usually fly fish, and usually small (14 or 16) nymphs and dries work pretty good. I've also had some luck spin fishing with small Len Thompson spoons and spinners. Be careful about bait though as a lot of lakes (including both Kananaskis Lakes) have bait bans. Are you from out of province?

Here is a link to the fishing regs, you should read through them carefully if you aren't familiar with fishing in Alberta.

Good luck,

Scott