Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-08-2014, 07:05 PM

CONGRATULATIONS! “Double_A_Ron”. Happy to hear you decided to appeal and even happier you were successful. To steal from “Hunted on another thread” Common sense is still alive!
Old 11-08-2014, 09:02 PM

Good to hear Ron. BS charge in the first place.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:18 PM

Great news! Glad judge had more common sense than CO.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:30 PM

excellent news to hear, the judge made a good decision, that co really needs to know what a cleaning station is for and to have common sense, because he already said it was at legal size. This still bothers me but glad you won
Old 11-11-2014, 08:31 PM

posted without finishing the thread - doh!
Old 11-12-2014, 05:29 AM

The CO probably had done this to many people and the judge and prosicutor new this. Too bad it didn't make it to court cause then the CO would have had to listen to the tongue lashing that the judge would have given him. I have seen many co's over the years, most were great and more than willing to be helpfull in any way that they could. A few have been DICK's, Too bad that the later ones are who they are and around.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_A_Ron View Post
Today my girlfriend and I went fishing to Touchwood lake near Lac La Biche, was a bit slow but managed to catch one keeper jack fish of 73cm. When we finished loading the boat we decided to clean the fish at the cleaning station in the camp ground. Upon finishing cleaning the fish a parks officer came and measured the skeleton of the fish confirming it was legal size and checked our licenses, then we headed for our truck to head home.

This is where the day went south.

Once we got to our truck and were just about ready to leave, the parks officer ran over from the cleaning station and asked where we were going, I honestly told him we were heading back to town. He then goes on to explain that it is against the regulations to clean a fish at anywhere but your primary residence and then transport it. I then asked how is that against regulation when he had already measured and confirmed my fish's species and size. He then asked me for my drivers license and explained he would go to his truck and see what his options were, taking the fillets of the jack with him. He then proceeded to measure and confiscate the fillets (writing me a receipt) and a ticket for $172 for "Posses game fish other than at permanent residence so that species cannot be readily identified".

Now, I'm not a poacher, I wasn't trying to hide anything, was open and honest with the officer the entire time, and to my credit I wasn't going to completely clean the fish until the officer showed up at the cleaning station.

The biggest shame is that the fish is now going to go to waste, which is what the parks and fish/game officers should be concerned with. The fish's life is lost but the parks officer got $172 and a ticket dispensed on his record. Good job officer Jordan Baier no.7377 you made a big difference today. It may be in the regulations not to clean and transport a fish, but when the fish has been confirmed legal prior to transport how is that an offense....
Fight the ticket, I would. I am very familiar with the courts. If you need or want some pointers or advice feel free to PM me.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Fight the ticket, I would. I am very familiar with the courts. If you need or want some pointers or advice feel free to PM me.
Wanna bet Talking moose that this doesn't even make it to court? A friendly farmers bet? Good kick in the arse? Lolp
Old 11-12-2014, 09:53 AM

It would have been nice for him to let you go on your way with a warning that if stopped again on the way, you could end up in trouble. Like someone else said previously, the law is supposed to stop poachers and he already verified that you weren't poaching.

edit: Just read that you fought and won. Good for you!
Old 11-12-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Wanna bet Talking moose that this doesn't even make it to court? A friendly farmers bet? Good kick in the arse? Lolp
Hits thinks that someone did not read the
Entire thread.. Lol.. Cough.. Cough.. Edmhunter..
Old 11-12-2014, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Exactly , why have a cleaning station .. officer is a loser . He knew the fish was legal , grasping at straws to get a chance to write somebody up .. I don't bash officers for no reason ,they have a tough job to do and for the most part do it well . However this guy went too far . As some one said , if he wanted to be picky he could have let the OP GO ROAST IT OVER A CAMPFIRE .. BUT NOPE ,STRAIGHT FOR THE TICKETBOOK .
Exactly H380

Anyhoooooooooooooooo....I would definately go to court and fight the ticket, but thats just me.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Exactly H380

Anyhoooooooooooooooo....I would definately go to court and fight the ticket, but thats just me.
Read above.
OP fought ticket in court and won....as he should have.
Good job Ron.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
Read above.
OP fought ticket in court and won....as he should have.
Good job Ron.
No he just mailed it in...no court required.

LC
Old 11-12-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
No he just mailed it in...no court required.

LC
Haha oops...typolol