Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-22-2016, 09:14 PM

Default Shimano crucial

Ok so I've had one of these rods for prob 3-4 years, the first one was pretty descent lasting a few years- then snapped.
( by the way love the rod, action, sensitivity) amazing.. Had life time warranty ok so got my new rod back and instead of having the lifetime warranty sticker the new ones have a printed version that only gives you limited warranty. ****ed me off those arnt cheap rods.
So snapped another one within 6 months got another now... First time out snap..
I've had it with these rods and am ready to move on. 3 rods later Any suggestions on calling the rep and explaining what's going on? Getting a diff one sent? Any experience with these? After the second one I thought I was bein hard on my rods.. Nope
Old 08-22-2016, 10:31 PM

Perhaps an Ugly Stik would suit your durability needs a bit better.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
Tough rods to break...
Old 08-23-2016, 02:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
Tough rods to break...
Not really, then they want to charge $40 shipping and handling to send a new one out!!!

I went to pop a deep six diver and snapped the rod, fluffy white fiberglass floating everywhere, and it was a heavy action model.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:20 PM

Had the same thing happen with a Crucial, as well as a Cumara. Cabelas was good enough to provide a refund of the purchase price on both. I had Clarus with lifetime warranty snap as well. Contacted Shimano and they wouldn't cover it but would provide a discounted price on a new rod. I had a lengthy back and forth with them. Asked for the rod to be shipped back after we couldn't get resolution and they replied that they had disposed of it.

I was a lifelong Shimano user (and still use some of their reels) but I will never buy another Shimano rod. That includes new G. Loomis rods too.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 08-23-2016, 02:38 PM

I had the same experience with a G Loomis salmon rod which broke fighting its first fish. I don't buy their rods anymore.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:54 PM

I think that once the amount of graphite gets too high rods become prone to snapping. Sure they are light and sensitive but they are also brittle. Fenwick HMG rods seem to have it figured out. I have two of them that are about 8 years old and I have heaped abuse on them and they are still going strong. Interestingly, I also have a Shimano Compre that is about 8 years old that is also still working great. Does anyone have some sort of graph that shows graphite content vs breaking strength?
Old 08-23-2016, 03:16 PM

I'm surprised at some of these posts. It seems strange to me that people are having so much trouble with faulty rods, especially repeatedly.

I've had dozens of different rods of all kinds of different powers and actions for years and years, and I've broken exactly two. One was a Shimano Compre baitcaster, broke on the first cast right at the tip, it was replaced free of charge no questions asked. I still have the replacement and it's a great rod. The other one I broke was a G. Loomis, and it broke because I snapped if off in the box of my truck. Totally my fault.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:17 PM

Just curious but are you guys all using braid on your reels mounted to these rods that are breaking?
Old 08-23-2016, 04:22 PM

A search online shows that the problem seems to be common with Shimano Cumara rods and some of the other models. They will break on hook set etc. Probably also why they dropped their standard lifetime warranty and changed it to 1 year. Forums on the net are littered with stories of broken Shimano rods like you mention Kevin. Tips are brittle and snap off etc. I would try something else I think until they solve their issues
Old 08-23-2016, 10:35 PM

I am pretty sure internet forums are littered with posts of broken rods from all brands. Higher end rods are by no means more durable in fact they are even less so then cheaper models.

How many people have broken TFO fly rods? yet for some reason people keep shelling out money for those POS

I have never really had problems with any particular brand as I can count on one finger the number of rods I have broken and it wasn't on a fish. I am pretty sure though if I do break a rod on a fish it will be soon as I recently switched my walleye rod over to braid and definitely have noticed a difference in the amount of pressure that is directly on the rod as there is no longer any line stretch.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:41 PM

All I can say is I haven't broken a rod that wasn't a Shimano. The Clarus and Cumara were with mono line on hook sets with moderately sized pike (3lbs or so). The Crucial was broken when I opened my rod locker upon getting to the lake. Interestingly, all three of these were in one summer with rods purchased within months of each other.

I've moved to St Croix, Okuma, and Fenwick and have had zero issues since. My pre Shimano G Loomis rods are still good too.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-23-2016, 10:59 PM
Banned

I've never broken a rod.

Have a crucial and have had no problems with it.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
I've never broken a rod.

Have a crucial and have had no problems with it.

Cork grip or EVA foam? Mine was cork. They seemed to have changed composition when they changed handles.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Just curious but are you guys all using braid on your reels mounted to these rods that are breaking?
I think that's a big factor.

You have to adjust your hookset and the way you fish when using braid. I've gone to more ML actions, decreased my drag pressure, and learned that you don't need the big "Bob Izumi hookset" - slow and deliberate is far more effective. You're also far less likely to break a rod apparently.

I've got several Shimano Crucials and Compres with the full cork handles that are well over 10 years old. Knock on wood, but I've had zero issues with them and I hope I never do, a couple of them rank right up there as my favourite rods.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:26 AM
Banned

I have an older (about 10-12yrs) Crucial rod and I like it, I've looked the newer ones over and wasn't too impressed with them. I also have a few G Loomis rods which I like, but none of the new E-X series. So far I haven't broken any of them, and I hope it stays that way 🙂

Like a lot of other products theses days, they have a great reputation of being quality built but always trying to cut corners for just a little bit more profit.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Cork grip or EVA foam? Mine was cork. They seemed to have changed composition when they changed handles.

Foam
Old 08-24-2016, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
I am not being sarcastic to the OP at all when i say that an ugly stick was the first thing that came to my mind also. Or Cabella's answer to Ugly Stick, the "Whuppin Stick". One thing I really don't like about the new 2 piece rods lately is that one piece is longer then the other.
There is very little that a 30-50 dollar rod won't do that a 150-300 dollar rod will.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:30 AM
Banned

I have three crucial rods, and bought them the year them came out probably 10+ years ago. One spinning and two baitcast, all three have stood up well. Newer ones maybe of different quality?
Old 08-25-2016, 08:34 AM
Banned

I have three crucial rods, and bought them the year they came out probably 10+ years ago. One spinning and two baitcast, all three have stood up well. Newer ones maybe of different quality?
Old 08-25-2016, 12:40 PM

Doesn't seem to be a problem with the older ones but the ones made since 2014 or so appear to be experiencing the most breakage issues from what I can gather on the net. Nothing wrong with the Ugly Sticks, I don't have one but they are all that my buddy ever uses. Actually the new ones out are super nice from what I've seen in the stores recently. next rod purchase will probably try one out myself. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2016, 09:46 PM

For the guys with the older Crucials you probably won't experience issues, as I'm referring more to the newer crap pushing down the line. Perch buster is bang on, the foam style handles (old style)were indestructable, heck even looked way better. Once they changed to cork those ones are garbage and they dropped the lifetime hmm wonder why "Shimano"? Abuse on warranty yes, but not the same rod.
I do use braid- which imo might help with the wear of rods for sure.
I'm really not that hard on rods so don't think I'll go as far as a ugly stick- might be deadly on the river 😎
Great comments.! Lots of good info- my buddy swears by these rods and said his is indestructable. Like the rest.
There's obviously a manufacturing issue here
Old 08-26-2016, 01:18 AM

Every rod I've broken was totally on me; in door ways, dropping something on them etc...

Pretty much every rod I've used, ever since they came out are Shakespeare Ugly Stick.

I got drunk one time and did the stupid, 'Bend it from butt to tip' thing and didn't break that rod.

Good enough rods.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 08-26-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
Every rod I've broken was totally on me; in door ways, dropping something on them etc...

Pretty much every rod I've used, ever since they came out are Shakespeare Ugly Stick.

I got drunk one time and did the stupid, 'Bend it from butt to tip' thing and didn't break that rod.

Good enough rods.
Good luck with them rods.
I've Never had rod issues till these.
Maybe I fish too much