Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-01-2010, 03:37 AM
Banned

Default WOW i have been using pickerel rigs wrong

I never use pickerel rigs because i thought that the sinker had to be floating off the bottom. So i thought you had to keep adjusting the stopper bead so the weight wouldnt touch the bottom. I JUST found out that the weight is supposed to be on the bottom but the hooks shouldnt be. Lol im so dumb well ill use it next time ill go.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:28 PM

not really fishnut,the way you used it could be more productive rather than what is pickerel rig intended to.it's trial and error isn't it while we try to find pattern.was it productive though?
Old 05-01-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
not really fishnut,the way you used it could be more productive rather than what is pickerel rig intended to.it's trial and error isn't it while we try to find pattern.was it productive though?
Agreed. U can change up the rig in many different ways. Generally yes, the weight is meant to sit on the bottom, with the yummy bait sitting 1 and 2 ft off bottom. Can definently mix it up though....ie...change weight set up to above hook, change hooks, add whatever "eyepleasers" u like (beads), adjust current beads, add a hook, take off a hook....
For sure, trial n error. Depends what ur fishn for?
Old 05-01-2010, 04:09 PM

There are no right ways to use p.rigs! They are
Old 05-01-2010, 10:25 PM

Fishnut...

Ignore the P-rig haters. There is a time and place for P-rigs and they work gr8! Jus a different style of fishn. I like to use when settin' up camp or startin' a fire, or tossing the stick around to keep the dawgs entertained. Gives me a chance to walk away from the rod for a bit, but not to far, and generally not for to long either. And despite what many will say, they do not harm fish any more than any other rig
My 2 sense.
Cheers n GL!
Old 05-02-2010, 02:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
Fishnut...

Ignore the P-rig haters. There is a time and place for P-rigs and they work gr8! Jus a different style of fishn. I like to use when settin' up camp or startin' a fire, or tossing the stick around to keep the dawgs entertained. Gives me a chance to walk away from the rod for a bit, but not to far, and generally not for to long either. And despite what many will say, they do not harm fish any more than any other rig
My 2 sense.
Cheers n GL!
Dont mean to sound like a sadistic ***** here but it doesnt matter to me if the fish is mortally injured or not. I am neutral if my hook doesnt injure the fish yay i let it go and catch it again some day. If the fish is mortally wounded more food for me.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnut9 View Post
Dont mean to sound like a sadistic ***** here but it doesnt matter to me if the fish is mortally injured or not. I am neutral if my hook doesnt injure the fish yay i let it go and catch it again some day. If the fish is mortally wounded more food for me.
Not really what I was implying. My thoughts on my xp is all. I am not one to say "you" but I will here. "you" SHOULD CARE about the mortality of fish u wrangle. Regardless of if u plan to eat em er not.

B good to nature. Nature will B good to u.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
Not really what I was implying. My thoughts on my xp is all. I am not one to say "you" but I will here. "you" SHOULD CARE about the mortality of fish u wrangle. Regardless of if u plan to eat em er not.

B good to nature. Nature will B good to u.
Its not like im intending to kill the fish. I dont get why it matters considering im catch and release unless i see blood coming out of their gills then i keep and eat. I mean if the fish is fine im not gonna kill it for no reason. I just dont get the point of people on this board that put p rigs down because it kills fish yet 50% of the people here kill the fish for food anyways. Its just kinda redundant being so careful with something that you will put to use. Its not like im killing the fish and letting it rot. And you misread my post. I said i dont care about their mortality from the hook. I care alot about handling them with care once the hook is out though. 2 totally different things.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:28 AM

pickeral rigs are the ****!!!!!!! when i go fish the rivers I have a p- rig out ,
and cast lures with another rod
and 9 times out of ten that pickeral rig will catch more than what im casting
Old 05-05-2010, 12:38 AM

^^^ Well lets just hope the CO confiscates both rods when he catches ya.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxxtonn View Post
pickeral rigs are the ****!!!!!!! when i go fish the rivers I have a p- rig out ,
Come on now i dont agree with all the rules but thats just wrong. Although i have always wondered why you can use 2 rods in ice fishing but only 1 in normal fishing.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:13 AM

I used to use p-rigs all the time. I got tired of the tangly mess they frequently end up in. For bottom fishing I now only use one hook on a 10" line. I attach that to a leader or swivel and put the weight there. Very simple, cheap, effective, with none of the tangles and knots. When trout fishing I can use the same type of bait as the next guy with a p-rig and catch more fish. I laugh at the guys who put the third hook off of where the weight at the bottom is attached. half the time they are messing with knots. plus when you catch a fish all of the bait on the other hooks are usually lost so you go through more bait.

to each his own though, use them if ya want.

oh yeah, Braxxtonn... pretty dumb comment. its guys like you and the guy I reported last weekend that pi$$ me off. I bet you are one of those who go out and keep your limit every day. Many don't realize that your daily limit is also your possession limit. If you keep 5 fish friday and eat one that night, the next day you can only keep 1 trout.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
I used to use p-rigs all the time. I got tired of the tangly mess they frequently end up in. For bottom fishing I now only use one hook on a 10" line. I attach that to a leader or swivel and put the weight there. Very simple, cheap, effective, with none of the tangles and knots. When trout fishing I can use the same type of bait as the next guy with a p-rig and catch more fish. I laugh at the guys who put the third hook off of where the weight at the bottom is attached. half the time they are messing with knots. plus when you catch a fish all of the bait on the other hooks are usually lost so you go through more bait.

oh yeah, Braxxtonn... pretty dumb comment. its guys like you and the guy I reported last weekend that pi$$ me off. I bet you are one of those who go out and keep your limit every day. Many don't realize that your daily limit is also your possession limit. If you keep 5 fish friday and eat one that night, the next day you can only keep 1 trout.
Are talking about like a prig design except with 1 hook only. I cant picture what you say. Your right though i dont like how many worms you can go through.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:56 AM

Wink Beer is at fault

Quote:
I never use pickerel rigs because i thought that the sinker had to be floating off the bottom. So i thought you had to keep adjusting the stopper bead so the weight wouldnt touch the bottom. I JUST found out that the weight is supposed to be on the bottom but the hooks shouldnt be. Lol im so dumb well ill use it next time ill go.
I would blame the beer for this mess or baileys in coffee.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Good points. Will give ur riv technique a try next time out. Cheers

And Braxton,....Shame On You.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:12 PM

lol sorry guys i knew i would get some sh it for posting that comment , but when i go fishing i uasully have my 4 year old boy with me and it's his rod that i use the pickerall rig on and he does a good job of watching the rod
I was just playing , I like to follow all the rules cause i love fishing!!
Old 05-05-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:

I don't like trout so i don't keep em
Old 05-05-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Are talking about like a prig design except with 1 hook only. I cant picture what you say. Your right though i dont like how many worms you can go through.
Pretty much. Like I said I hate the tangle mess and extra bait waisted. I have found I still catch as much with one less hook. I usually have a leader on the line and attach a wieght and a single snelled hook(the ones you buy with the line already attached to the plain hook) to the leader. another issue with the P-rigs you buy is their hooks are garbage. I have lost several fish because the hook breaks or bends.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Pretty much. Like I said I hate the tangle mess and extra bait waisted. I have found I still catch as much with one less hook. I usually have a leader on the line and attach a wieght and a single snelled hook(the ones you buy with the line already attached to the plain hook) to the leader. another issue with the P-rigs you buy is their hooks are garbage. I have lost several fish because the hook breaks or bends.
So you put the weight on the end of the metal leader and put the snelled hook on the same end the line is on? Or is the snelled hook put on the same end the weight is on.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:24 PM

since you are allowed to run up to 3 hooks in alberta, i generally run a jig head with a rubber or bait at the bottom point, it adds weight and a bit of a different presentation... just make sure to take the snap off and tie on direct so you get a horizontal appearance. might as well go all out if your heavin that sh!t out there. tight lines y'all
Old 05-05-2010, 11:50 PM

hmmmm didn't know u couldony have 3hooks in the water sometimes i put 2 pickeral rigs together and have 4 or 5 minnows on there,,, that work pretty good to to dial in the big ones
Old 05-06-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
hmmmm didn't know u couldony have 3hooks in the water sometimes i put 2 pickeral rigs together and have 4 or 5 minnows on there,,, that work pretty good to to dial in the big ones
Would you like a shovel to help you dig that hole?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 05-06-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I think your just up to no good here.Maybe your just doin a bit a trolin. Pretty funny though!lol
Old 05-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
lol i would like to introduce you to the 2010 alberta fishing regulations
Old 05-06-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
lol i would like to introduce you to the 2010 alberta fishing regulations
hahaha just playing
Old 05-07-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
try a third or forth line out with a bobber & worms .