Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
I agree with some things he said but I do not agree about dismissing outfishing 40-50 anglers by large margin in Sundance during horrible conditions as inferior comparing to wild open lake.
By the way I asked doubters few times here already to meet on the lake and learn from each other.. I could show how to use marmish properly, you could show me something I may want to learn...... so far do not see any invitations to see superior perch fishing with UL and spring bobbers...?
well we have some fine perch lakes here mayatan, lake isles? elinore, beaver ,lac la biche and lesser slave
Old 10-28-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
well we have some fine perch lakes here mayatan, lake isles? elinore, beaver ,lac la biche and lesser slave
I would have to go back to the data...but from memory...out of 100 fishermen trying for perch on Sundance...1 would catch 100, 2 would catch 50, 3 would catch 20, and 30 would catch 2-5 and the rest 0 or 1.

What I am saying is that for all things considered there are lots of fish but not near as many as before. 3 years ago...drop a camera down for a look see and spin it around and see 100 plus perch every hole. Now...1 or 2...rarely 10. Perch are a schooling fish but the numbers show...just because there are perch...regardless of the lake does not mean it is a guaranteed catch. I have had many AOF friends out and handily out fished them. Some days I can catch 100 on my panfish popper...other days the marmish works better.

You like your ultralight...it works for you so great. I don't think that is a bad thing. I just believe having more skills under your belt is not bad. Still it is about having fun...not how many you catch for most people.

Cheers
Old 10-28-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Great, I haven't been to any of these except lac isles...let me know whenever ice is good enough to go.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:22 PM

Thumbs up

This discussion makes me want to do just ONE thing ... CATCH PERCH!!! Bring on the cold and freeze the lakes quick. I am chompin' at the bit!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Great, I haven't been to any of these except lac isles...let me know whenever ice is good enough to go.
will look forward to it
Old 10-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry B View Post
This discussion makes me want to do just ONE thing ... CATCH PERCH!!! Bring on the cold and freeze the lakes quick. I am chompin' at the bit!
It wont be long now Garry have to get the sled waxed up ...lol
Old 10-28-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
It wont be long now Garry have to get the sled waxed up ...lol
.....to get the sled waxed up or gassed up?
Old 10-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
.....to get the sled waxed up or gassed up?
WAXED special sled
Old 10-29-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
WAXED special sled
Badback put some special strips under his sled and it slides like a dream. Not sure what it was again.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Badback put some special strips under his sled and it slides like a dream. Not sure what it was again.
LOL Was just joking about WAX Garry and his brothers made up this sled to carry him out on the ice. It is made from a black plastic like material it is amazing stuff slides across the ice and snow with little to no resistance. If you invite him down there this winter to help you get rid of your perch you not only will get a chance to see it in action you will get to meet an fantastic person a dang good angler and for sure have a few laughs. And thanks for the tip on sled strips.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
LOL Was just joking about WAX Garry and his brothers made up this sled to carry him out on the ice. It is made from a black plastic like material it is amazing stuff slides across the ice and snow with little to no resistance. If you invite him down there this winter to help you get rid of your perch you not only will get a chance to see it in action you will get to meet an fantastic person a dang good angler and for sure have a few laughs. And thanks for the tip on sled strips.
Oh...he IS coming down. I heard his perch skills are second to none and wow...he has made some amazing hooks.

Any it is okay if he makes me look bad. His punishment will be to have as many perch cleaned as possible within 24 hours More in his fridge...less in the lake.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Oh...he IS coming down. I heard his perch skills are second to none and wow...he has made some amazing hooks.

Any it is okay if he makes me look bad. His punishment will be to have as many perch cleaned as possible within 24 hours More in his fridge...less in the lake.
Good to hear ........it will be a great season.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:04 AM

The whole Marmish rod thing is intriguing to me, I almost bought one last season. I have trouble with a couple things though; first I catch perch right now on an ultra light setup & some of those jumbos bend my rod in half so I have a hard time visualizing how you could fight a big perch on a palm rod! Secondly what happens when you accidently hook a 4lb walleye on one of those things??
Old 10-29-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikester View Post
The whole Marmish rod thing is intriguing to me, I almost bought one last season. I have trouble with a couple things though; first I catch perch right now on an ultra light setup & some of those jumbos bend my rod in half so I have a hard time visualizing how you could fight a big perch on a palm rod! Secondly what happens when you accidently hook a 4lb walleye on one of those things??
best way to explain the marmish is that you don't reel or fight a fish on it...you hand line it. I hand line more perch unless it is cold. That way my depth is always the same and you don't risk getting weeded.

The tip on the marmish and the shortness of the rod let's you apply a different action to the hook and the tip is way more sensitive than an ultra light and even the spring on my panfish popper.

I have hooked 10 lb rainbows...and hand lined it no problem.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:12 PM

Hey, what's this talk about? Some sound like fish stories again to me - always exaggeration. Buy I really do want to get to Sundance and meet a lot of AO members and catch perch!

Anyway, the true part is my brothers did make a sled out of a combination of HMW and UHMW plastic that folds flat for storage and transportation. It is incredibly slick and tough. Almost makes you think of wax when you drill or shave it. Got it from Redwood Plastics in Edmonton. Dawson there was excellent helping me choose the right stuff. Anyone needs wear strips for the bottom of their sled just give him a call (1-888-554-7700).

Horse knows about how the sled works because he and some other super guys and gals take me and my family out for great times. It takes a lot of effort to get a disabled person out fishing but I see nothing but smiles on these people's faces as they are helping me (even when we get stuck out in the middle of the lake in -30C and they have already pulled me for almost a kilometer!) I've been really fortunate to meet these great people.

Now back to the Marmish discussion and educating ourselves about multiple fishing techniques! I've learned a lot from this thread already.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Sundance already explained - you use your hands not rod to bring it on ice. It does happen when using ultralight line you hook into pike, walleye or trout - usually in my experience it means broken line and lost jig. So there lies problem - lets say you use 0.10mm line and you catch perch non stop on it but occasional bigger fish will snap it.... or you use 0.15-0.17mm line which gives you chance to land 5-6lbs fish but your perch action slows down by 70-80%. Chose your poison. To me marmish/palm rods are designed to catch small fish up to 2lbs, if you targeting anything bigger get different rod.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:57 PM

I see, so the marmish rod is just used to hook the fish then you drop it & do the hand line thing to land them? Don't know if that would work for me. I cut my teeth ice fishing for perch with a hand line & bobber but basically quit ice fishing for decades because of the frustration of dealing with 20+ ft of frozen, tangled line on the ice; we didn't have access to small ultra light rods in those days yet. I was spending more time untangling line than fishing Also fighting fish by hand doesn't feel right to me, not as fun or sporting I guess?
Old 10-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
I see, so the marmish rod is just used to hook the fish then you drop it & do the hand line thing to land them? Don't know if that would work for me. I cut my teeth ice fishing for perch with a hand line & bobber but basically quit ice fishing for decades because of the frustration of dealing with 20+ ft of frozen, tangled line on the ice; we didn't have access to small ultra light rods in those days yet. I was spending more time untangling line than fishing Also fighting fish by hand doesn't feel right to me, not as fun or sporting I guess?
A lot of improvements have been made to iceline in the last decade ...lol
You will find that your not fighting with wire stiff frozen line a lot of the line now remains just as soft and flexible as light line summer fishing. Welcome back to the hard side.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
not a big fan of the marmish. for guys that can't watch their line. jay if you want a sweet perch set up look at the HT ice blue ultra light rods. team it with a nice little ul reel and 2lb test and your good to go. anything bigger than perch though, you'll need something heavier. medium action works for most. look at HT, or St. Croix. i would stay away from combos.

Dace
I haven't read through the entire thread yet, so forgive me if it's already been covered.

I've got an HT Ice Blues UL rod and love it for perch and little stocked trout. I looked all over locally last year for another one but couldn't track one down anywhere locally. I've got a Diawa Sweepfire on it and for the money it's a pretty good little combo. Wrangled in a surprise 8lb pike on it last season as well.

I also picked up a Marmish rod last season but I'm just not a huge fan

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 10-29-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
I haven't read through the entire thread yet, so forgive me if it's already been covered.

I've got an HT Ice Blues UL rod and love it for perch and little stocked trout. I looked all over locally last year for another one but couldn't track one down anywhere locally. I've got a Diawa Sweepfire on it and for the money it's a pretty good little combo. Wrangled in a surprise 8lb pike on it last season as well.

I also picked up a Marmish rod last season but I'm just not a huge fan
I was not a marmish rod fan either at first...but like anything new...this took time to get the various ways to fish it...now...my panfish popper catches loads...then nothing...I switch to the marmish...and I am catching more and more.

Just another tool in the fishing chest.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post

I've got an HT Ice Blues UL rod and love it for perch and little stocked trout. I looked all over locally last year for another one but couldn't track one down anywhere locally.

check with the boys at the hole. they usually have them in this time of the season. early. i'm the guy that would buy the rack out of every store if i found them. can never have too many. tips get broke off easy. i have a few that i dead stick with that have the first eyelet or two gone. i'm sure that hole will bring them in for you, hit them up now they'll be ordering for the ice season.

Dace
Old 10-30-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Just another tool in the fishing chest.
This is pretty much how I look at it, which is why I don't understand why people make such a big deal about it. Part of my problem may have been my line last year as well. I spooled my marmish with Vanish and got wicked coils coming off of it. Could be why I lost interest so quick!

That being said, I'll probably give it another shot with some decent mono early this season before I start getting into the big ol' pike

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 10-30-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
check with the boys at the hole. they usually have them in this time of the season. early. i'm the guy that would buy the rack out of every store if i found them. can never have too many. tips get broke off easy. i have a few that i dead stick with that have the first eyelet or two gone. i'm sure that hole will bring them in for you, hit them up now they'll be ordering for the ice season.

Dace
I honestly never even though about asking them to bring one in for me, though I'm sure they would do it. I frequent the North and South stores here in Edmonton and neither of those stores got any of the UL's in last season.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 10-31-2011, 02:19 PM

If you can't find them in stock at a store they do have on-line ordering:
https://www.marmish.ca/
Old 10-31-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
A lot of improvements have been made to iceline in the last decade ...lol
You will find that your not fighting with wire stiff frozen line a lot of the line now remains just as soft and flexible as light line summer fishing. Welcome back to the hard side.
Lol ya I guess I sound like I haven't been out since the Ice Age but it's actually only been about 2 years since I started getting back into icing perch & for sure it's evolved a lot since the "good ol' days". Maybe I should get a Marmish rod to experiment with on those days when the perch are being difficult on my usual rigs.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:52 AM

I fish with a UL now but used to fish with line wraped around a stick. LOL Still to this day I think the stick and line I would catch more fish as I could look at the kink in the line from when it was wraped around the stick. It would either str8ten or get slack and is even better than a marmish imo. On my rod I often bend the line and put a kink in it and watch the line. The reason I use a rod now is for those pesky pike and loosing hooks. A spring bobber on a rod just turns the ul into a marmish rod with a drag. LOL. I have fished with a buddy for years and one time we were fishing together, same hook, same line and less than 3 ft apart. I got three and he got 27. LOL The next time we went out same thing but I got the 27 and he got 3. All depends on how you wiggle your jig. Most times I fish with my hook about 2" off the bottom and the perch will lift the hook and not pull. Hmmm might have to pull out the old sticks again and re line them. I would bet that hand lining with a stick and line watching, would out perform a marmish rod on any given day.

Last edited by Kim473; 11-02-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
I fish with a UL now but used to fish with line wraped around a stick. LOL Still to this day I think the stick and line I would catch more fish as I could look at the kink in the line from when it was wraped around the stick. It would either str8ten or get slack and is even better than a marmish imo. On my rod I often bend the line and put a kink in it and watch the line. The reason I use a rod now is for those pesky pike and loosing hooks. A spring bobber on a rod just turns the ul into a marmish rod with a drag. LOL. I have fished with a buddy for years and one time we were fishing together, same hook, same line and less than 3 ft apart. I got three and he got 27. LOL The next time we went out same thing but I got the 27 and he got 3. All depends on how you wiggle your jig. Most times I fish with my hook about 2" off the bottom and the perch will lift the hook and not pull. Hmmm might have to pull out the old sticks again and re line them. I would bet that hand lining with a stick and line watching, would out perform a marmish rod on any given day.

Kim, there is no doubt in my mind you know what you're doing and put a lot of perch on the ice. great post.

Dace
Old 11-02-2011, 07:39 PM

AK47 told me all about the Marmish last year. Picked one up, then two, then three...... I carry four of them now (gotta have spares). I was so impressed. I will always have an assortment of gear with me for all typs of fish on every trip out, you never know what will change during a day and need to be prepared, but the Marmish will be right there at the top of the box. My Dad on the other hand hasen't quite learned to love it yet (old dog....new tricks ya know! ha ha!), don't think he will either. To each their own, whatever you feel comfortable with.......thats what you should stick with. Cant wait to get out on the hard water!!!
Old 11-02-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
I would bet that hand lining with a stick and line watching, would out perform a marmish rod on any given day.
OK, so another brave soul for a challenge? I would pay to see stick outperforming marmish.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
OK, so another brave soul for a challenge? I would pay to see stick outperforming marmish.
Don't forget the stick was used LONG before the marmish