Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-23-2008, 10:44 PM

Default Best Place to Buy - Deep Cycle Marine Batteries

As the title suggests - where have you / would you purchase a deep cycle marine battery. I have found this one from Can Tire

NAUTILUS

Any experience with these ones?

Where else would I be able to peruse online? - anyone have handy links to share?
Old 06-23-2008, 11:05 PM

Default I have two of these

both are reliable on the Minn Kota and the RV
Old 06-23-2008, 11:19 PM

Default batteries

What are u going to be using them for?

If using for a RV, go with 2 6 volt Trojan batteries. Battery World sells them. This is ur best setup for a 12 volt rig. Expensive but will last longer than anything else.

If just using for boat, as I imagine from the post, cant beat the group 27 Kirkland brand from Costco. Get the biggest u can find and it will still be like $75 or so. These are truly the best batteries in my opinion for the price out there.

Good luck.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:31 AM

costco for sure, best prices and awesome batteries!!!
Old 06-24-2008, 08:15 AM

Go to Interstate batteries in SE Calgary. $40 for a reconditioned Megatron with a 6 month warranty. They told me that they run the batteries through a series of tests and if the pass, they are sold as reconditioned but are essentially as new. I would imagine that there is an interstate depot in Edmonton as well.

Trev
Old 06-24-2008, 08:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredeb View Post
Go to Interstate batteries in SE Calgary. $40 for a reconditioned Megatron with a 6 month warranty. They told me that they run the batteries through a series of tests and if the pass, they are sold as reconditioned but are essentially as new. I would imagine that there is an interstate depot in Edmonton as well.

Trev
I thought this was a great deal too, unfortunately, the battery gave it up on me in 6 months and two days. I won't be buying another one.

I've been hearing nothing but good things about the Costco batteries, so I think I'll give them a shot next time around for the boat.

For the RV, I've been hearing the dual 6V system is the way to go.

Sorry I can't add much in terms of where to go for a good deal.

Waxy
Old 06-24-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
I thought this was a great deal too, unfortunately, the battery gave it up on me in 6 months and two days. I won't be buying another one.

I've been hearing nothing but good things about the Costco batteries, so I think I'll give them a shot next time around for the boat.

For the RV, I've been hearing the dual 6V system is the way to go.

Sorry I can't add much in terms of where to go for a good deal.

Waxy
That sucks that it didn't last. My father in law just purchased one, so we will see how his works. My batteries should be good for a while so I can wait to see how his pans out.

I can't speak on the Costco batteries, but I could have purchased 2 or 3 reconditioned ones for the price I just paid for the battery in my wife's car. My line of thinking is that out of the three, I would be bound to get a good one that would last a few years, so it would be a wash aside from the grief of changing them. I guess you just have to assess whether you are willing to take the risk of a battery failing.

I too have heard that dual 6 volts is the way to go. Unfotunately, my RV would need adjustments to the battery storage compartment before I would be able to use them.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredeb View Post
That sucks that it didn't last. My father in law just purchased one, so we will see how his works. My batteries should be good for a while so I can wait to see how his pans out.

I can't speak on the Costco batteries, but I could have purchased 2 or 3 reconditioned ones for the price I just paid for the battery in my wife's car. My line of thinking is that out of the three, I would be bound to get a good one that would last a few years, so it would be a wash aside from the grief of changing them. I guess you just have to assess whether you are willing to take the risk of a battery failing.

I too have heard that dual 6 volts is the way to go. Unfotunately, my RV would need adjustments to the battery storage compartment before I would be able to use them.
You are right about the cost of the reconditioned ones, I guess all things considered, I could go buy another one, or maybe two, and still only be at the cost of an average battery.

It's just a pain when they quit working, you have to swap them out and then find a way to dispose of them.

Waxy
Old 06-24-2008, 05:03 PM

Just a note on ordering batteries online...unless you order the unfilled ones i think they are dangerous goods and that extra cost for shipping would easily eat up and savings
Old 06-24-2008, 07:31 PM

Kirkland at Costco. Deep cycle marine for 70.00 with 3 year warrenty.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:04 PM

Costco Kirkland's ....especially when they go on sale.
Apparently around March they go for about $58.
May not be the best but you don't have to spend >200 either which is around the cost for the best.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:41 PM

Twas for pushin a small boat. Guess I'll be finding a friend with a Costco card. Thanks all
Old 06-25-2008, 11:33 AM

Default Batteries

I bought a Costco Kirkland automotive battery for my truck for $80.00 over a year ago and so far so good. The same factory battery from Delco ran upwards of $170.00 and had less cold cranking amps then the Costco Kirkland. The warrenty on the Costco Kirkland is 100% over three years and then is pro-rated for the next 3 years I believe. Pretty sweet deal in my books even if the Costco battery only last half as long. I can buy two and still end up ahead.