Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-17-2008, 10:10 AM

Default Bearspaw Reservoir

Has anyone fished Bearspaw Reservoir in the summer? I would like to try and catch a trout up there but I'm not really sure where to access it and what types of lures to use. Is a boat necessary/ legal or is shore fishing good?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Old 07-17-2008, 12:44 PM

This is a pet peeve of mine. The Public access to the little water we do have in Calgary seems to be restricted for the benefit of a few, rich, individuals. Why is this public resource a virtual private lake? There should be a public boat launch on Bearspaw! And why don't they also relax the elitist restrictions on Glenmore while they are at it. We should be able to (at the very least) use sealed battery, electric motors on this lake as well as belly boats. The water supply issue seems to be an excuse to make this resource into a private club because sail boats and canoes are allowed and people tip then all the time causing people to go for a swim. How often does that happen in a fishing boat?
Old 07-17-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
This is a pet peeve of mine. The Public access to the little water we do have in Calgary seems to be restricted for the benefit of a few, rich, individuals. Why is this public resource a virtual private lake? There should be a public boat launch on Bearspaw! And why don't they also relax the elitist restrictions on Glenmore while they are at it. We should be able to (at the very least) use sealed battery, electric motors on this lake as well as belly boats. The water supply issue seems to be an excuse to make this resource into a private club because sail boats and canoes are allowed and people tip then all the time causing people to go for a swim. How often does that happen in a fishing boat?
x2 - very little access on bearspaw...

you can walk up to the dam from the end of Bearspaw Dam Rd - access through Bowness
Old 07-17-2008, 05:39 PM

Boy this sure does open up an old can of Worms. Back when I was Fish Chairman with Calgary F&G, this a hot topic of discussion for quite some time... An answer to many of the posted questions is " Politics"
Surounding property around the Reservoir is mainly private property. There is a couple of sub-divisions which one can buy a lot at a healthy price and access to a private Marina......Property Owners, Sub-divisions pay their shares to Rockyview Municipal which happens to be a very rich and powerful Organization with many connections higher up.
City of Calgary draws water from Bearspaw Reservoir which primarily supply water to the Northern part of Calgary. Somewhere amongst the Red tape you might discover that city of Calgary has to deal with Rockyview Municipal inorder to get the water....
At that time, we discussed that the City of Calgary draws water from the Reservoir. Surrounding Ranchers should not be able to have their Cattle free roam to the Reservoir as they would Urinate and leave Feces into the Water Source.
Long story short, it only ended up so high before the Red Tape sunk in.. Think of this while drinking your next glass of water......LOL

As for Public Access and Launches for a boat....Good luck, unless you own Property that has Water access or know someone who has. Years ago I did get on to Bearspaw with a Tinney. My friend went to school at Springbank and he had a friend who's father owned property on Bearspaw. They had their own Launch and had a souped up Speed boat.
You can walk up from the gate about 2 kms from the Dam. Years ago, one could drive, park their vehicle right at the base of the Dam and fish. Or drive up and park at the Dam. Gates were courtesy of too many yahoos partying it up at the base and up at Dam. At that time, RCMP and "Rockyview" shut that down.......
You can shore-fish at the Reservoir providing you're within the High water mark. Otherwise, could be Trespassing on Private Property. So, with all this hassle just to go fish there, I'd rather just go somewhere else where you don't have to deal with this Bull...
As for Glenmore Reservoir, that a whole new ball of Wax...... LOL
Old 05-15-2010, 10:31 PM

Default Bearspaw water access!!!!

The access point is from Emerald bay,,, the residents sometimes put a lock on it but it is PUBLIC , you can cut lock off if you find one. The sign says property of rockyview no44 so it is PUBLIC,,, good boat launch, and incredible fishing in front of homes,, 17 inch rainbow sound good! git r dun. dont let the residents fool you, they dont own it!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:27 AM

Going back to the Glenmore Reservoir topic; we have had a canoe at Heritage park for years. The rules are pretty simple no gas motors and no inflatables! We have had electric motors withe sealed batteries! We were even stopped by the patrol boat, they said it was fine!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodybutz View Post
We have had electric motors withe sealed batteries! We were even stopped by the patrol boat, they said it was fine!
Not sure how you pulled that off....many tickets for electric motors have been handed out...the rules are no motors whatsoever.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:56 PM

I'm curious to where the patrol boat is on glenmore, when all those people swim in the reservoir on the south side. I went there one weekend and some guy was basically washing his kid's ass in the reservoir. Disgusting. I couldn't believe those 20-30 people got away with that but they'd lynch us for using an electric motor.

As for bearspaw, it's a nice walk up from the railroad tracks so I don't have a problem with it really, but it does **** me off all the rich ppl only generally have access to it.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:30 AM

Hey everyone,

New to the site as well as fishing. Was just there last night. Like others have stated its a short walk going west along the rail road tracks. Got skunked last night but was only there for an hr. Only fish i have caught this year was at PCR which doesnt say much for my skills lol.

Anyways planning on going back this weekend with a inflatable if we can find some kind of dolly to haul it up the path. Would be really tiring to have to carry it the whole way inflated.

Anyways just saying hi and its a nice place to fish me thinks.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:07 AM

Used to fish here quite a bit , at the rez and the outflow pool below damn. A Couple of years ago they fenced it all off and basically stopped people from parking at the rail road crossing. Ive only been a few times since then but on a good day you can hook into a few big browns here and there. Ive pulled a few Lakers in the 2 pound range from shore at the rez. Also been skunked on a few trips...
Old 08-20-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitslayer View Post
The access point is from Emerald bay,,, the residents sometimes put a lock on it but it is PUBLIC , you can cut lock off if you find one. The sign says property of rockyview no44 so it is PUBLIC,,, good boat launch, and incredible fishing in front of homes,, 17 inch rainbow sound good! git r dun. dont let the residents fool you, they dont own it!
I was there this spring to see if I can launch my boat and there is a sign on the gate that read: PRIVATE PROPERTY. I hope you are right about it being public. I was going to launch my jet boat in cochrane and jet downstream to the reservoir.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:39 PM

Just noticed the dates on the previous posts. I just replied to a 3 year old post!
Old 02-17-2016, 01:50 AM

Quote:
You can shore-fish at the Reservoir providing you're within the High water mark. Otherwise, could be Trespassing on Private Property.
Thought it was 2' or 4' from high water mark is provincial land.
I must have got that wrong.

I seem to not be able to copy and paste previous posters comment.
I never understood why posting to an old thread was/is a problem. If its still relevant its still relevant. It must be courtesy or an online forum etiquette thing.
BTW - I found a boat launch on Google Maps, but that must be for the community, its at the end of a culda-sac on W side. All million dollar flood zone houses!
Old 04-26-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
Thought it was 2' or 4' from high water mark is provincial land.
I must have got that wrong.

I seem to not be able to copy and paste previous posters comment.
I never understood why posting to an old thread was/is a problem. If its still relevant its still relevant. It must be courtesy or an online forum etiquette thing.
BTW - I found a boat launch on Google Maps, but that must be for the community, its at the end of a culda-sac on W side. All million dollar flood zone houses!
Apologies for resurrecting an ancient thread, but the Bearspaw Res is sort of my Great White Buffalo. I'm always trying to plot ways to access it.

Can anyone conclusively confirm or deny whether the boat launch is private or not? I mean, it may have a sign on it, but does the sign have legal standing or is it just something a resident put up to try and dissuade the plebs? Is the gate locked? Could I park my vehicle and carry my canoe down to the boat launch?

The boat launch is here: https://goo.gl/maps/Uf8XDP8yigP2

It looks like there's a gate along the road blocking access. Nice.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:53 PM

As I understand it the city of Calgary has some land owned and marked as future park

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1285...8SjjiVOueYhMF0
Old 04-26-2016, 01:59 PM

So in the future I can wear my speedo while standing on the bow of my boat trolling with the ipilot on so all the rich folks have to watch me?
Old 04-26-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
As I understand it the city of Calgary has some land owned and marked as future park

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haskayne Park. South end of the lake. Just have to lobby them to include a boat launch.

http://www.o2design.com/bearspaw-dig...in-modelling-1
Old 04-26-2016, 03:17 PM

There is a launch right at the dam but they closed the gate to that one years ago. I've used it to pull out when canoeing down from up river and heading for Calgary.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:19 PM

This whole thing stinks. Isn't it legislated somewhere that public access to waterways can't be blocked? This might only be in BC... Then again, there is "public access", but it's pretty token at that. Just a tiny little path leading to a sharp drop-off.

I worry that the parks the city is putting in will take forever and likely be bogged down by the power that the landowning elite of the area has to stall processes and bog down progress.

So for options we have:

1) Ask Trans-Alta if you can use their right of ways (not sure how successful this will be, as I have no experience doing it).

2) Try to protest the situation.

3) Email wards, the mayor and the press.

4) Trespass and hope for the best.

Pretty infuriating. I mean, you think Calgarians of all stripes would be ticked off about this. Imagine if access to Glenmore was suddenly shut down.

I'm not sure how shallow the river is, but is it possible to launch a boat with an outboard at Cochrane and sail down to Bearspaw? I feel like it might be too shallow.

For my part I'd just be happy to have access to ice fish in the winter closer to the dam where the water is deeper or launch a canoe/kayak.

Sigh. I'll probably give all 4 options a shot. This bothers me in my bones.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
And regarding the South Side City of Calgary Public Land / Park, get this.
We don't have access, but the people owning land around it do. Boats can be launched there, so...

It's a public park, used solely by the private residents for boat launching. I.E. A currently private use park bought and paid for with your tax dollar. Think that's wrong?
Can you point out on a map where this is? Or is it the same launch I pointed out? If so, I had no idea there was a park there... Argh.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:45 PM

You could access it from Glenbow Ranch parking lot https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Gle...978217a25901a7 but you won't like the hike. It's a couple km from parking lot to rivers edge. My son says there's quit a nut buster of a hill between A and B as well...

Point being, Bears Paw Lake is federal water... we should have reasonable access to it!!!
Old 04-26-2016, 09:48 PM

So for options we have:

1) Ask Trans-Alta if you can use their right of ways (not sure how successful this will be, as I have no experience doing it).

2) Try to protest the situation.

3) Email wards, the mayor and the press.

4) Trespass and hope for the best.

That's a thought. How about if we, the general public, cannot have access to Bearspaw then maybe a petition to have the reservoir shut down to all motors and boating. After all we do use it for drinking water. Wonder what the area residents would think of that? Just my thought!! Oh and yes I've been ticked with the lack of access for years. We use to be able to put our small tinner in there years ago. Was great fishing
Old 04-26-2016, 09:57 PM

http://www.calgary.ca/Mayor/Document..._park_topo.pdf

A link to a map of the 2 parks in discussion.

Good Luck!!
Old 04-26-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemoredog View Post
Apologies for resurrecting an ancient thread, but the Bearspaw Res is sort of my Great White Buffalo. I'm always trying to plot ways to access it.

Can anyone conclusively confirm or deny whether the boat launch is private or not? I mean, it may have a sign on it, but does the sign have legal standing or is it just something a resident put up to try and dissuade the plebs? Is the gate locked? Could I park my vehicle and carry my canoe down to the boat launch?

The boat launch is here: https://goo.gl/maps/Uf8XDP8yigP2

It looks like there's a gate along the road blocking access. Nice.
If you travel further up bearspaw dam rd nw . theres a lafarge pit . Ive seen guys in their 4x4s go down the hill to the dam . Just don't get caught.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:50 AM

What about this?
http://m.imgur.com/HhRP9NT

That road is a township road, so it should be public. In which case it should be OK to park your vehicle along the side of the road.

Then I would suggest taking one of the two squiggly red paths to get access to the water. This would only really be viable for someone with a light water craft (canoe, kayak, tube, pontoon, raft, etc.).

The areas where I have drawn the squiggly red lines s/b land that was donated to the city by the Haskayne family.
http://www.calgary.ca/Mayor/Document..._park_topo.pdf

It looks like the immediate shoreline is still private land. That or it is crown land and falls under the "high water mark" rule. I honestly don't have the legal expertise to clarify this though.

As well, it looks like that township road where I drew the red lateral line has a gate, but I'm sure it can be opened for access since it is a public road. I can't get a good picture of it on google street view to confirm. But it shouldn't be locked... right?

Thoughts? Am I way off? I assume there has to be a catch with this idea or others would have already tried it.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
My understanding from the way RVC explained it, high water mark, then translate own an immediate boundary around the reservoir, I'm guessing that's the boundary you're seeing between the park and the water.
I see. So permission from TransAlta would still be advisable. Probably easier to get permission from TransAlta than the landowners though.

I would definitely go out there myself and poke around, but I'm stuck behind a desk all day. I won't have a chance to check things out until next week.

I found another possible access point that might be worth investigating:
http://m.imgur.com/C82Oxkr

It's within the Haskayne portion of the area. There is a gate but I don't see a lock or any private property/don't trespass signs. So would probably need a confirmation from the CoG or RVC on what the deal is.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:21 AM

Default Access

I can tell you why it's closed. The yahoo's on motorcycles left the farm gate open and dairy cattle got hit by the train. Another guy said he broke his leg trespassing across the cattle guard and sued the farmer. There are constant problems from being close to Calgary not related to responsible fishermen who would be welcome there. Next time you are out looking for access look at garbage dropped in approaches, 4x4 and motorbike trails from the people who wreck it for you. The landowners are very nice people who have to deal with poaching, drunks and thieves driving in the yard at all hours, and idiots like the poster above who not only cuts locks off gates but urges others to do the same on public forums. That is why you don't have access! The fact that nobody else on the forum thought it was wrong to cut a fence proves that nobody here deserves access because you don't respect another man's property - shame on you!
Old 04-30-2016, 01:17 PM

Default Access

If you read the whole thread both sides are discussed and the problems are the same on both sides. If you agree that cutting a lock gives you access you will argue to break the law, trespass and ignore the landowners is fine too. This post is by people who are trying to justify their actions, not by responsible law abiding sportsmen. The more you argue the more you insult the landowners and cause these restrictions.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:06 PM

Default Access

I am not a landowner but do have access. I agree that there should be access but too many people have caused too many problems so we all suffer. If you had the same people accessing your property you would be horrified. The responsible all suffer for the idiots and abusers. I just finished picking up the frame and springs of an easy boy type chair dumped and set on fire Thursday night, and loading grass and cement pieces dumped in another approach. If you volunteered to clean up and help report people you should be able to get access too. Most people won't help or even leave it as good as they found it. That is the problem
Old 04-30-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickie.01 View Post
I am not a landowner but do have access. I agree that there should be access but too many people have caused too many problems so we all suffer. If you had the same people accessing your property you would be horrified. The responsible all suffer for the idiots and abusers. I just finished picking up the frame and springs of an easy boy type chair dumped and set on fire Thursday night, and loading grass and cement pieces dumped in another approach. If you volunteered to clean up and help report people you should be able to get access too. Most people won't help or even leave it as good as they found it. That is the problem
Me thinks there's more to your story. My guess is you are a neighbor or friend of an owner. You didn't gain access by cleaning up garbage.

You're just as much of the problem to access by endorsing thier protectionist perception of ownership.

Just my opinion.