Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-23-2016, 01:56 PM
AO Sponsor

Default Serengeti Fishing Charters 2016 Reports (PIC Heavy)

Hello!

The month of May is almost gone and fishing in the latter half of the month has been the best I have personally ever seen in May. Just went on an overnight trip and to say we didn't really need to overnight portion to do well is an understatement. We limited out on Chinook in only an hour each day...literally non stop action and some decent size for this time of the year as well. Usually fish are consistently 12-14lbs now, but we got some fish in the 18-22lb range and boy did they fight. This is really showing that the record number of west coast Vancouver Island fish are returning and they are a larger size of fish this year. Should really be some great fishing come the summer. I've attached some pictures below to take a look at how the fishing has been.

We also limited out on halibut including some great eaters in the 30-60lb range. Only targeted bottom fish for one hour or so to find some new spots and released about 12 lingcod, so needless to say we did find some new spots!

We are completely sold out for June and July this year, but do have three openings in August still and I'm honestly not sure how some of them haven't sold yet as they are absolutely stellar fishing! Great combo of SIZE and quantity of Chinook as well as more and more Coho showing up.

The dates we have left are:

Aug 8-10
Aug 11-14
Aug 24-26 (20% off)
Aug 31-Sept 2 (25% off)

There are some deals to be had here on all the above dates and if you have any questions please let me know. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Hope to have a few more of you up this summer for a fishing trip of a lifetime, booked two groups from forum just the other day. Let me know if you have any questions!

David Jr

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 05-23-2016, 02:00 PM

nice job, the 3rd pic from the bottom is that a cod on the right hand side that looks greenish blue? is that a normal colouration?
Old 05-23-2016, 05:47 PM

Congratz, I always enjoy any salt water action.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
nice job, the 3rd pic from the bottom is that a cod on the right hand side that looks greenish blue? is that a normal colouration?
Wondering that myself. Too long to be a cabazon. Looks like the photo was color enhanced. May explain it.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-23-2016, 10:25 PM
AO Sponsor

We have been catching a lot of greenish lingcod over the past few years, this is one of them. Not sure why, but has been happening for sure. Catch quite a few over the past year or two :O

Old 05-23-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti Charters View Post
We have been catching a lot of greenish lingcod over the past few years, this is one of them. Not sure why, but has been happening for sure. Catch quite a few over the past year or two :O
Fukushima lol
Old 05-24-2016, 07:22 AM

Looks like some great fishing this year. I buddy and I might be interested in one of your open spots. Would you mind sending some information to my email ken@westcountry.ca

Ken
Old 05-24-2016, 07:37 AM

Those green/blue coloured Ling COD cook up white as snow. My understanding is that scientists don't have a conclusive answer as to why they turn green but it is suspected that it is a dietary thing. They eat squid and octopus and they figure it has something to do with ingesting the die in those critters that they squirt out when trying to escape predation etc. It is a very common phenomenon to catch those green Lings off the coast from what I can tell. In any event it doesn't change the quality of the fish for table fare, they are tasty critters for sure.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti Charters View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Fukushima lol
X2

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:56 PM
AO Sponsor

Will throw you an email tonight ken.

Heard that was the reason for green too...diet...as seem to get them in bunches too.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:38 PM
AO Sponsor

Question for you David, what kind of jigging tackle are you and your clients fishing with?

How's fishing so far? Surely you are running hard already?
(hint, hint... by all means post some more of them pictures that causes all that fish lust/desire/envy/covetousness amongst us Alberta guys, we are up for the pain!)
Old 06-18-2016, 09:41 PM
AO Sponsor

Hey guys,

Salmon fishing is ON FIRE! Few days ago limited on Chinook with 10 in the boat and plenty lost by 745am!! BIG fish around too, our guides have guided to two 37lbers and a 30lber already, big fish for this time of the year...forecasts for big Chinook this year seem to be right on track!

Halibut fishing has been great as well, lots of fish in the 40-70lb range...122cm, 127cm, and 131cm sure are popular numbers this year...which co ordinates with 55, 60, and 65-70lb fish roughly...those are some nice halibut. Three days ago our guides also caught and released 6 over 100lbs, including a fish well over 240lbs, another over 200 was released today as well plus limits of 30-60lbers. Won't find better fishing.

Lingcod are EVERYWHERE this year...its crazy...easy limits of the good eaters in the 10-25lb range are relatively easy these days.

We only have two dates open all summer, so give me a PM or call us at the lodge at 250-902-0598 if you have any questions at all.

Here are some pics!

Old 06-18-2016, 09:45 PM
AO Sponsor

Old 06-19-2016, 02:49 AM

Smile

I can't wait to get out there. My wife and I are coming over on the 16 July. We will be just south at Port McNeill. I'll stop by probably on the 18th. Is there any room to dock the boat just to tie up for a quick visit at the Quarterdeck Marina? Dave, what would be the best time to come by?
Old 07-06-2016, 01:20 PM
AO Sponsor

Come by any time around 5-6pm...Fisherman's Wharf, sure you see where our boats are. I'll be down there cleaning up (hopefully) all the blood off my boat

Last few weeks have continued the way the ones before were...limits on Chinook by 9-10am, then out for bottomfish and halibut. Last few days were very rough weather, yet both days we limited on Chinook and bottomfish. That's saying something when there are 10-12ft waves and you still come in with 8 Chinook, 9 Lingcod, and limits of Rockfish. That type of weather is not ordinary, most of the season we have had absolutely fantastic seas and relatively calmer year actually. Plenty of rain this summer, stark contrast to last year.

The size of the Chinook this year is absolutely unreal...Tyee's are daily, had three in one day the other day and that was at the end of June...wait till mid July to August!! Reports from many other areas sound not too encouraging but for whatever the reason the fish are stopping at us and chomping down pretty good so far, consistent fishing is what we try and strive for so no, "should of been here last weeks" when you come out.

Halibut fishing has remained hot and heavy, lots of new spots being discovered (same with bottomfish) and some really really good quality of fish...most days limits of fish in the 30-70lb range more consistently than ever. Releasing a lot of bigger fish as well, a 240lber the other day which makes 3 over 200lbs, and 15 over 100lbs so far this year (one month).

We have a cancellation for July 24-26 to fill, msg me for details on it and pricing. You literally can't get anymore primetime than this guys...tons of Chinook, Coho, and bottomfish/halibut. We also have Aug 24-26 open for one boat too...other than that we are fully booked and booking up fast for 2017, so if you are interested give me a shout as soon as you can get everything organized. If you have any questions don't hesitate asking! Here are some pictures! Had a great trip with few guys from the forum last few weeks too! Back to back...great guys, and can't wait to have them back again!

Last edited by Serengeti Charters; 07-06-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:23 PM
AO Sponsor

Clint from the forum here's group

Old 07-06-2016, 08:44 PM

Default Awesome, Awesome, Awesome

8 of us fished with these guys for 3 days last week. We brought around 1600 pounds of Salmon, Halibut, Ling Cod, Red Snapper and Rock Cod to the processors. Each guy came home with about 95 pounds of filleted fish. Absolutely top notch service all the way. Unreal hospitality, food, accommodations, boats, fishing, and guides. I have been on 3 other charters on the west coast and this was the fourth. There is no comparison to the quality experience these guys offer. I will be back in a year or two for sure. First we gotta eat up all this years fish first. Already tried the Black Rock Cod. Fantastic!!! Red Snapper tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:50 PM
AO Sponsor

July 24-26 sold now! Only aug 24-26 left all summer Call and book it ASAP

Old 07-16-2016, 11:11 PM
AO Sponsor

Fishing still is going strong. Had three days of a lull in the salmon action but were still landing a handful a day (with limits of bottomfish and hali same day as well). Fishing picked back up after those three days and averaging in about 4 hours of salmon fishing a day into 12-18 Chinook, so even if you are only batting 50% on landing ratio limits aren't too tough.

This has been by far our best halibut season we have seen...absolutely tons of fish in the 40-70lb range. It's crazy the amount of halibut we have caught in the 128-133cm range...perfect size! Now released 16 over 100lbs and 3 over 200lbs as well.

Lingcod remains great, same with rockfish, most spots are completely untouched so very full.

We are completely sold out minus August 31st onward for the season, and we are absolutely thrilled about it. Thanks to all the forum members who joined and will be joining us this season. If you're looking for next season, contact us asap as the last two weeks of June are pretty much already sold out with repeat guests and July is getting very full as well.

Love to have some of you out, pics to come tomorrow,

David

Old 07-16-2016, 11:12 PM
AO Sponsor

LOVED having you out Clint...can't wait to have you back. Glad to hear the whole family had such a great time. Will be excited for your next trip.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:50 AM

I can assure you that the pictures do not do these guys justice. You will catch more fish per day than your arms will can handle. A buddy and I went over the July long weekend and had an amazing time. My buddy has gone out other fishing charters 15 times before this trip, he will not go again unless it's with Serengeti. They are professionals, they know how to catch fish. Fishing was great, everyone with Serengeti is great, lodging was great and the food was great.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:25 PM

How would a guy get all that fish home let's say to Edmonton. Cost an arm and a leg to ship it all. Sounds like an amazing place though
Old 07-17-2016, 01:54 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post
I can assure you that the pictures do not do these guys justice. You will catch more fish per day than your arms will can handle. A buddy and I went over the July long weekend and had an amazing time. My buddy has gone out other fishing charters 15 times before this trip, he will not go again unless it's with Serengeti. They are professionals, they know how to catch fish. Fishing was great, everyone with Serengeti is great, lodging was great and the food was great.
Love to see reports like this one. My next fishing trip to the coast will be with Serengeti!!
Old 07-17-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
How would a guy get all that fish home let's say to Edmonton. Cost an arm and a leg to ship it all. Sounds like an amazing place though
The cost to bring our fish home was around $350.00. We took 505Lbs of fish after 2 days of fishing to Hardy Boys to process. They cut and flash freeze the fish.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:30 PM

Default costs to bring fish home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
Our trip with Serengeti was awesome as well. We flew to Comox then rented a truck to get the rest of the way to Port Hardy. We drove the fish back to the airport in the truck, then we each checked 2 coolers of fish in the plane (The processor packages the coolers at around 46 pounds). $25 for the first checked bag or cooler and $35 for the second. If you decided to drive the whole way, the processor will put ice in the coolers and the fish will stay frozen for up to 18 hours I think. We picked up our fish at 11:00 am and had a delay at the airport so we didn't get home till midnight. Everything was still frozen solid.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:56 PM

Ya we took 2 coolers right full of salmon ar Sooke on west jet. Those were close to 50 lbs each and that was only have the salmon my buddy took the other half back to Surrey. I couldn't imagine having bottom fish to take home too.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:57 PM
AO Sponsor

Busy guys, sorry for lack of reports. BIG FISH are in for sure and in with a bang, Tyee after Tyee! 35lber today, 42lber yesterday, 31lber day before with 26lb average for limit of 10 Chinook on the Ms Heather 3 as well.

Halibut fishing remains the best we have ever seen, big fish and lots and lots in the 35-70lb range this year, and those are PERFECT.

Bottomfishing limits are by no means hard to come by, some nice fish and plentiful as well. Weather has been great minus a couple windy days but otherwise flat calm most days actually. Allows us to really smoke the fish and in good time.

What I will do is share the photobucket link so it doesn't take 45minutes to load the page...will put a couple pics below as well...here is the link:

http://s192.photobucket.com/user/can...?sort=3&page=1

300+lb halibut

6 people's boxes going home!!

Old 08-02-2016, 11:05 PM
AO Sponsor

Also just want to say that June 16-July 3 is already fully booked for next season so call asap if you are looking at coming next year. Will be a great year full of a ton of fish (in many group's cases, literally) and even more laughs.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:31 AM

Wow, great fish again! Thanks for the report.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 08-06-2016, 10:29 PM
AO Sponsor

Great fishing lately. Three tyee days for the past four or five. Limits daily for each boat and coho to 15lbs have been showing up. Great halibut fishing too as the ms Heather three caught 8, releasing 4 and keeping four between 60lbs and 70lbs the other day. Released a 200lber as well as some chickens. Pics to come tomorrow night. 2017 is booking up fast. Throw me a msg for more details.