Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-18-2016, 08:51 PM

Default B-Wabbit & Z-z – Gull Lake Adventure - Updated & Pic's

We were the first vehicles out on the ice off Sandy Point, unloaded the gear and off we went up to the north end. Got set up it was still dark, within 5 minutes I got bit off there went Vibro my b-new favorite lure.

We were looking for Perch ended up in about 7 fow over rock sand bottom, seen a few fish moving around but very little action, then it picked up & started putting some fish in the bucket, but very few Perch, so we started moving around didn’t find many, moved again, the wind was wicked then it settled down and we had some Pike action and a few Perch appeared and then one Monster Perch hammered my W/W got it into the hole it must have been over 16”, just a bit bigger than Happy’s & it got released when my floor hatch cover wacked it in the head. Seen a lot of big fish today; Walleye, Pike, Whites & Perch but not one Burb's. Ended up doing well, but it could have been excellent if we didn’t lose so many. Going back during the week to continue the adventure. B-Wabbit had a close encounter when the ice cracked and he said he felt that sinking feeling.

And for those who were wondering the Pink Mag’s won the head-to-head challenge over the M-Worms. As well, the Red W/W with the glow bead tipped with a Pink Mag caught all most all of our fish.

Some pics from today.

Z-z

B-Wabbit's Ride .... nice set-up.

Open water didn't need an auger here.

Further down were we got set up ... Note to File ... Scary.

Thick it was 16" to top water & 17" to ice surface.

Three sisters all about the same size ....nice!

My custom creation with a Pink Mag was deadly today!

She sure enjoyed supper tonight, Happy Wife - Happy Life

Old 12-18-2016, 09:02 PM

What's the green thorax on that wire worm ?
Old 12-18-2016, 09:06 PM

How did you cook those whites? That looks tasty

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2016, 09:14 PM

Great pics and story thanks for sharing
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 12-18-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
What's the green thorax on that wire worm ?
Those are the glow beads ... check out Post # 46,

Link to "Wire worms - All you ever wanted to know .....

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=274328

Old 12-18-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon5555 View Post
How did you cook those whites? That looks tasty

The Mrs just dip's them in egg bath, then a crumb/spice flower batter and pan fried in avocado oil, cook until golden brown put a slice of lemon on them and enjoy. She says avocado oil is the best for pan frying them.

I sit at the eating bar with a nice Chardonnay and watch.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
The Mrs just dip's them in egg bath, then a crumb/spice flower batter and pan fried in avocado oil, cook until golden brown put a slice of lemon on them and enjoy. She says avocado oil is the best for pan frying them.

I sit at the eating bar with a nice Chardonnay and watch.

Sweet I'll have to give it a try thanks

Old 12-19-2016, 12:41 AM

That meal looks so tasty. Nice thread
Old 12-19-2016, 07:20 AM

Love your posts Zip, will be trying Gull on the 28th with my daughter. Cant wait. D.H.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:49 PM

Nice job Zip and Bwacky!
Old 12-19-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Nice job Zip and Bwacky!

Tks Snap .... the ice cleats are going into the truck tonight, with this wind the ice will be polished a bit. Fishin calendar says avg day, well see.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:12 PM

Man, what a great post!

Everyone talks about the fishing forum as being the wild west, but it sure seems like a nice, friendly and helpful place.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:45 PM

did you walk out or drive on>?
Old 12-19-2016, 06:16 PM

Parked on shore and took the quad out to haul gear.

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:26 PM

Nice work.....I'll figure out these whites one day....lol
Old 12-21-2016, 08:45 PM

Dec 20 & 21st Update:

Was out yesterday, nothing but a couple small Perch and Pike bugging me until I moved back to where we were on Sunday. Started seeing a few Whites but I was distracted and missed a couple on the Red Glow W/W, then one really big one came straight in about 4 feet under the ice and inhaled it, set the hook bent the rod in ½, the fish didn’t move, then it decided to go and it was gone, broke me off, frustrating. The afternoon was slow, however, did see my first two Burbs one small one and the other the size of a leopard tank with similar coloring. It was time to start moving around and that didn’t work, didn’t do well so it was time to go.

Decided to go back today, went straight to the spot in 6 FOW where I seen the Whites yesterday, chopped out the holes with an axe and got set up and was fishin by 8:30. Was starting to see a few Whites, they weren’t at all interested in the Red Glow W/W but focused in on my Black W/W and turned at the last second. This happened a few time, it was time to change up, put on a Brown/Glass Bead on top and yellow/orange Candy Cane on bottom the next White came in an inhaled the Candy Cane had my fist White by 9:30. Then iced another White within 10 min on the Brown W/W there were all kinds of Whites hanging around now, got excited and missed a few and then a huge White with a chunk missing from its beak, grabs the Brown, set the hook, fights like crazy & breaks (6 lb Floro) me off. Fortunately I had a spare, got tied up looked down and one was staring back at me, Brown W/W floated down and it hit it, got my three by 10.00 am not huge but three nice ones.

It was time for a coffee & sticky bun, was staring down the hole and had two Whites circling my Brown W/W, picked up the rod & gave it a twitch - bang. Released it and let the W/W’s float down, picked up my coffee cup and bang another, released it. They finally gave me a break and I finished my bun. Kept fishin looking for Perch and the Whites kept on coming one after another, this was crazy, must have been one big active school hunting. I quit at 11:15 and was home before noon, at the end of the day if I hooked every fish and didn’t lose any, I imagine the final number would have been in the teens. What a morning, amazing.

Fileted them up and performed an autopsy, one had a nymph that cleaned the gut slime off itself and started crawling, I have no idea why they preferred the Brown W/W, perhaps it looks similar to the minnows or nymphs in the area I was anchored. The Brown is another one of my custom creations from Cat 5/6 computer wire and some glass beads from Michaels. If you tie your own W/W’s ….. I’ve said this in other posts, don’t overlook dark Brown or Black, they’re a deadly combo.

I hate break-offs, re-tied a few of my tandem W/W rigs with 8 lb fluro, the murky water clarity helps. Planning to go back Friday, unfortunately, B-Wabbit has to work, anyone here going out to Gull and looking for some adventure ?

Some pics worth sharing.

Z-z

Morning Sunshine

The Stare Down

Prime Real Estate

Sizzling Hot Dark Brown & Glass Bead W/W

Bit smaller that Sunday just under 20”.

Yummy-Yummy look what I got in my Tummy!

Breakfast - Damselfly Larva – Still Moving.

Today’s Hotties – Dark Brown/Bead out produced Candy Kane - 4/1 today.

Fishin Tip – since I bought this 8" wide Net, haven’t lost a White getting it out the Hole.

Hope you enjoyed the story .... to be continued Friday!

Old 12-21-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdopudj View Post
Zip, for how long do you fish one spot before moving to next ( if there is no fish) ?
Most of my spots are areas I GPS'd and go back to every year that have produced consistently, it also takes me a bit of effort to get set up that said, I normally stay for 1-2 hours before I get bored and move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamilton View Post
I would assume that you are being as quiet as possible, but do you think bringing a dog along would kill my chances of catching any? She goes everywhere with me and I am ok with losing a few but might have to leave her at home for a day to go try whites if they are that spooky. Thanks.
Noise doesn't normally bother them, but they can be spooked in clear water when it comes to camera's. Fishin for Whites requires a finesse approach, you need to focus on you presentation and technique, distractions will end your day with limited success. Whites normally will never hit a standing still W/W or bait, it has to me moving, they appear quickly and can inhale and spit out a W/W before you have the opportunity to set the hook. If you miss it, they normally don't come back and give you a second chance. I would suggest to bring your bud and she can stare down the hole and keep you company ... wish you all the success.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:47 PM

Great post!
Old 12-21-2016, 10:34 PM

Nice work Zip! You are certainly having a good start on the whites at Gull. Congrats.

I won't get a chance under after Xmas.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:16 PM

Will be headed to gull on Friday morning also, had similar success with the whites when I was there a few days ago. Found myself going through a pile of hooks before they started to hit one in particular then it was on. Saw some really nice pike and a couple exceptional walleye also. Might see you out there.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:03 AM

Nice mature whites there my friend. That's what sheez all about. Hopelessly addicted to three nice fatties by 11 am or stay till 3pm to get that last fish when everyone is gone and you wonder if they left cuz they limited out or they left cuz sheez a ghost town down there. Love that lake, go from hero to zero day to day. Just when you figure you got em dialed in they humble the best of us. That's fishing not catching. Thanks for all your info and taking the time to post. Merry Christmas bud.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:55 AM

Smile

As you can see first thing in the morning I get my coffee and go to forum to see how did Zip do on Gull
That was nice adventure Zip, thanks for posting and sharing knowledge and experience !!
Marry Christmas and keep the stories coming
Old 12-22-2016, 11:58 AM

Tks guys .... for all the positive comments, decided to give the fish and me a rest today. A member from Rocky Mtn House replied to keep me company and continue the Friday adventure. Looking forward to meeting up with Matt.

Baba Z-z has me over booked over X-Mass, plans to have a Whitefish feast with all the traditional Ukrainian dishes with all the family, not sure how many more fishin days are left this year before we head off to California for a few months.

Will post a further update tomorrow.

Cheers ....

David .... aka

Old 12-22-2016, 06:54 PM

Can I have your wire worms when you go??
Old 12-22-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Can I have your wire worms when you go??
Get in line pal...lol we can share Snap!

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:22 PM

Fellas ... I'm not gone yet ... tied a few spares today just in case & stopped at Cdn Tire & got two new Vibro's that will be secured with HD fluoro so Mr Pike doesn't steal them again. On the back of these it says endorsed by B-Wabbit! Recommend you guys put the 7 gram not the 10 gram on you're wish list, these are fun to fish with, they would be great for Lakers, too.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:42 PM

Will try to make it out in the am .
Old 12-22-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Fellas ... I'm not gone yet ... tied a few spares today just in case & stopped at Cdn Tire & got two new Vibro's that will be secured with HD fluoro so Mr Pike doesn't steal them again. On the back of these it says endorsed by B-Wabbit! Recommend you guys put the 7 gram not the 10 gram on you're wish list, these are fun to fish with, they would be great for Lakers, too.

Z are the whites attracted to the Vibro's? I have not seen or tried them.

Thanks for sharing all your info so far!!
Old 12-23-2016, 07:33 AM

First time out on Gull yesterday afternoon (22nd Dec) 7-8 depth saw 3 whites 1 jack and a couple small perch. Came home with 2 whites and released the jack as he was on the short side. Two hours total fishing, so I was happy to go home with supper taken care of. Merry Christmas guys. D.H.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:04 AM

Default only been to gull once

Sooo anyone willing to spill some advice on gull? me and my father have only been once but we wouldn't mind trying again to catching a few white fish or perch.
last time we went only caught 2, 4 inch perch so not exactly fun time out .