Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-13-2017, 09:35 AM

Default Canine snare length

With the use of the ultra lethal and efficient triggered magnum kill springs do you think a shorter overall snare length can or should be used? With the use of standard stinger springs I ran 10-12 foot rigs with the extensions. With the efficiency we have gained with Mr. Senneker’s developsments is this length needed still? Not trying to be cheap on wire just a thought of curiosity I had while building snares.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog View Post
With the use of the ultra lethal and efficient triggered magnum kill springs do you think a shorter overall snare length can or should be used? With the use of standard stinger springs I ran 10-12 foot rigs with the extensions. With the efficiency we have gained with Mr. Senneker’s developsments is this length needed still? Not trying to be cheap on wire just a thought of curiosity I had while building snares.
I dont know that the length is still required but I keep mine at 10ft or so just to keep the catch off the trail so I can reset the same place with as little disturbance as possible .
Old 10-13-2017, 02:38 PM

I believe a shorter snare for thicker cover and anchored high and a longer snare when snaring open country and when using a staking system,this is what's recommended in Trapping Reg's and by Marty as well,I believe
Old 10-14-2017, 07:36 PM
Banned

I think that this might be helpful:

http://martysenneker.com

I snare patches of bush and I hang an 8' extension high with a 5' snare. I like entanglement.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:58 AM
AO Sponsor

I'm favouring a 5' extension these days, and a 5' length for my loop + tag to extension. The Magnum is such a game changer! (It is unfortunate for the Saskatchewan trappers in regards to its leadership circle that's this simple snare design was too difficult for them to master. Not a problem anywhere else!)

I've experimented with differing lengths of extensions, in particular shortened, and I disliked the results.

I still use a two piece snare, as in construct my extension separately/isolated/complete from my snare and tie the two in the field. I use the #9 wire/wolf swivel on my extensions as I did in my video and carry 5' replacement snares in my bag. I say this to differentiate my style vs what is being taught in the standard snare course. The standard snare course promotes a one piece 10' snare with a #8 fishing swivel in the middle as the connection. I understand and appreciate the intention of this style in the course, just saying I do it a little different, and hold to the fact that my way is better!

To many of you, this is old hat, however to the new trappers this may be a totally new concept, and in our supply business, we are carrying the #8 and #9 barrel swivel fishing swivel to accommodate those folks.

With a #9 wire wolf-swivel swivelled extension, there is no need to make up complete and lengthy snares at home, there is no need to pull each snare in the field completely with each catch to reset a new snare on the location. You don't have to take your half-snare home and rebuilt it. Doing it my way saves time in the field and makes the trapper more efficient. Just saying...

So I tried 3' and 4' foot extensions, that my snare builder had made up for me, and I disliked using them very much compared to the 5'. I must add that he had built them with an XL end loop, so on such a short length extension they came out even a few inches shorter that they should have, but were close. My finding with the shortened unit was increased rolling/twisting and a little more brush destruction, unfortunately when the brush destruction happened it was always in close to the snare location which I have gone to great lengths in my career to protect!

Let's back up 30 years to the old school era, that era that our enemies in their ignorance base their anti snare arguments upon. Actually even 10-20 years ago, or even less for many! The short little brush snares, just enough cable to make a snare loop, with a snare swivel, read #9 or #11 wire swivel at th end, double wired with a short piece of wire tight to a tree. In that era, a #8 barrel/fishing swivel would have been a God-send, a true gift from heaven! Wild animals short tied to a tree battling hard but no freedom to move about, therefore their struggle reduced to much twisting/rolling. The fishing swivel, if USA made, is a significantly better swivel for a true swivelling function than the #9 or #11 wire swivel. The short wire tied tree wired snare is where the snare swivel shines, of any sort!

So these days with the long snares, the twisting/rolling of the snared animal is virtually eliminated with coyote/wolf, until the animal begins to entangle and shorten the snare... IF it lives long enough to shorten the snare! Most of the time if the animal begins to entangle, the swivel becomes moot and its purpose void, because the animal entangles on the thinner cable comprising th snare loop and not on the heavier extension cable.

My point... fishing swivels AWESOME for old school snares! An encumberance for the modern snareman and snarewoman! (I am not aware of the existence of any snare-X' folks!)

***clarifications***

Wire swivels come in two sizes, #11 and #9 as per #11 wire and #9 wire sizes of wire.

Fishing swivels come in #6, #7, #8, #9, and #12.

ps...
(If I was going to use a fishing swivel, I would use a #12 swivel, but they are very expensive!)
Old 10-22-2017, 09:34 AM
Banned

.marty, so ur just using two loops (one on the extension and one on the snare) and running them thru each other, with no swivel? that's what i've been using and if the snare gets hinky (and it usually does when there's a catch), all i do is replace the snare. don't care much if the extension gets a little kinky, but they don't seem to for some reason. maybe because i build them out of 3/32 instead of the 1/16 on the snare end.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:57 AM

Marty, when you say 5 ft for extension cable, is that 5 ft of cable before or after the extension is completed, of 5 ft piece of cable will measure less once complete with ends.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
With a #9 wire wolf-swivel swivelled extension, there is no need to make up complete and lengthy snares at home, there is no need to pull each snare in the field completely with each catch to reset a new snare on the location. You don't have to take your half-snare home and rebuilt it. Doing it my way saves time in the field and makes the trapper more efficient. Just saying...
Absolutely! Way more convenient. Just carry the 5' snare portion with you as opposed to a snare/extension combo. I just put the loop from the snare through the wolf swivel and pull the snare through the loop. I caught a coyote with the barrel swivel snare that I made at the snaring workshop and then what? I had top replace the whole thing.

I use a longer extension because some of the trees that I anchor to are large in circumference and probably use +2' of extension. It then becomes a 5' extension. Something to think about I guess......extension length when anchoring on the ground vs in a tree.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:11 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
.marty, so ur just using two loops (one on the extension and one on the snare) and running them thru each other, with no swivel?
No, I run a #9 swivel on one end of the extension and tie end loop of snare onto #9 wire swivel which is a rigid loop. I hate tying cable to cable. Yes, everybody is running 3/32" for extensions, except some wolf people running 1/8" for extensions. When extensions get all hinky, I throw them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmc View Post
Marty, when you say 5 ft for extension cable, is that 5 ft of cable before or after the extension is completed, of 5 ft piece of cable will measure less once complete with ends.
5 foot total length before forming loop. Is a minor thing.

And yes Dave, good point, If I'm going to tie around large trees, I'm going to add length. Normally if I'm in a large diameter tree environment, there are other options, but not always. I don't want to end up with 2' of extension to tie with.