Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-17-2009, 10:36 AM

Default Info on Barrier Lake

Hi, I am headed for Kananaskis soon but I was told yesterday by a gentleman that he takes his pontoon to this lake and does well.I always drive by it but havent tried there.Has anyone taken there pontoon boat there and how did you make out.It seems at times that it is very shallow in areas.Where did you park to get to the lake? thanks for any info.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:08 AM

I have fished this lake many a time. The outcome varies , i have done well and have walked away empty handed. You can gain access to the lake by the dam. Or depending on water level. You can keep going past that turn off and take your second right that access the lake, There is a nice little boat launch and a bay back in there. That would be the best bet if there is some wind as you can always find a spot that is calm back there somewhere. The road in on this access is narrow with lots of curves cant really get lost. Good luck out there post your results....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 06-17-2009, 12:11 PM

thanks by the way I am putting together my pontoon so I should have pictures shortly.Getting back to Barrier is it better to use beaded nymphs on this lake?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:15 PM

Toss in everything you got till it works. I found that a Bugger with A beaded Nymph about 18" back and a split shot under a indicator worked well the last time I was out. But depends on the hatch.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:20 PM

I've had more success at the south end.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I've had more success at the south end.
X2

Old 06-17-2009, 12:49 PM

Default Barrier Lake

I fish there quiet often and was there last Sunday, there is a boat launch about 3 or 4 minutes driving time after you pass the dam. The lake is really low right now, I had a hard time launching my 12 foot boat last Sunday, I had to drive onto the beach beside the ramp.

We started fishing around 12:00 and did not get any bites until 2:00 then we had a few up to 3:00 when I packed it in. My son landed 1 12" brown lost another beside the boat and we missed 3 or 4 nice strikes.

If you go turn right off the boat launch and head up towards the dam I have landed a lot of fish in this section of the lake. As the water is always cold the fish always taste good even in July & Aug. I have not been skunked very often fishing Barrier Lake. Our largest last year was an 18" brown.

Bob
Old 06-17-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillfisher View Post
I fish there quiet often and was there last Sunday, there is a boat launch about 3 or 4 minutes driving time after you pass the dam. The lake is really low right now, I had a hard time launching my 12 foot boat last Sunday, I had to drive onto the beach beside the ramp.

We started fishing around 12:00 and did not get any bites until 2:00 then we had a few up to 3:00 when I packed it in. My son landed 1 12" brown lost another beside the boat and we missed 3 or 4 nice strikes.

If you go turn right off the boat launch and head up towards the dam I have landed a lot of fish in this section of the lake. As the water is always cold the fish always taste good even in July & Aug. I have not been skunked very often fishing Barrier Lake. Our largest last year was an 18" brown.

Bob
Well it shouldnt be bad my pontoon is only 7feet long so I take it you can use a electric motor out there? I rigged up my pontoon for an electric motor and dieing to try it out.The pontoon is easy enough to carry but dont need very deep water to put it in. I will take a look to see whether or not I will launch on the north side or south.They both sound good for a little pontoon boat. I will let everyone know how I made out.Thanks everyone
Old 06-17-2009, 01:07 PM

That eletric will be fine in there good luck

Old 06-17-2009, 01:14 PM

thanks by the way I dont have my regs on me right now but are you allowed to keep anything? I usually am 99% of the time catch and release but I havent had any trout in a while and would like to surprise the wife with a meal.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodycanfish View Post
thanks by the way I dont have my regs on me right now but are you allowed to keep anything? I usually am 99% of the time catch and release but I havent had any trout in a while and would like to surprise the wife with a meal.
Barrier Lake doesn't have any special regulations in effect, so you can keep up to 5 trout with no special size limits.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:13 PM

Im headed up to Mt Kidd tomorrow night for 5 days and I am planning on taking the family out for a 'lake day' where the kids can play a bit and we fcan fish. Im thinking of trying either mt lorrette ponds and/or barrier lake. I see someone in this thread mentioned the word 'beach' is there actually a decent beach there?

Ive heard mt lorette fishes out real quick, anyone know if it got its june stocking yet?

Is the fishing from shore decent at barrier? I dont fly fish so we just use out spinning rods and spoos, bobbers, spinners etc

thx for any info/advice
Old 06-20-2009, 08:58 PM

Default Barrier Lake

There is a beutiful Beach there, First parking lot past the damn, there is a trail down to the lake, but the bank is very steep by the lake, but well worth it.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:16 PM

Are gas engines allowed on Barrier?
Dodger.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:56 AM

Sorry to necro an old thread but ive heard people say theres a dam on the south end? How do you access it? IVe seen the damn near the information center end of the lake but not the other one.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryguy1977 View Post
Sorry to necro an old thread but ive heard people say theres a dam on the south end? How do you access it? IVe seen the damn near the information center end of the lake but not the other one.
There is no dam on the south end of the lake. The kananaskis river flows into barrier lake. There are dams further upstream, at the upper and lower kananaskis lakes.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:01 PM

Default barrier lake

where would the best place to shore fish barrier lake ?
Old 08-19-2016, 09:50 PM

Default Info on Barrier Lake

We fished Barrier Lake about 3 weeks ago the water level was very low about 50 feet short of the launch. We had to hand bomb my boat motor and all the gear. If they have raised the level drive down to the far end and walk down the hill and fish on the highway side. 2" buzz bombs are worth a try as I have caught a few fish from the shore on various coloured buzz bombs. I usually fish from boat and always troll a willow leaf and a wedding band as for bait worms can work and so does the dough like power bait pretty much any bright colour