Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
i wish they would stock the NSR with channel catfish, lol
We'll put it on the list.......
Old 04-07-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszomola View Post
yeah polls a good idea , just want to clarify i didnt mean on Newell , i should have wrote that more clearly .... i meant split in general here ...

sall good , the poll is good and i voted ...
well it appears you are correct about the general vote....im surprized with the voting
Old 04-07-2011, 09:57 PM

Well , its only a small demographic , it could go either way and you still see it leaning to no ... But still was great way to see what these hardcore anglers think ...

Like keeping open channels are a good thing, theres never a need to get to worked up on it. Time changes things , i remember a time I would be fishing peoples docks pretty carelessly and today its becoming more common to just stay off occupied areas and respect privacy...
Old 01-10-2012, 11:09 PM

There are probably a large number of alberta anglers that would be interested in having a small bass fishery in the province of Alberta. With all the new immigrants from Eastern Canada and B.C. ......I think it is a great idea to have a few lakes in the province turned into largemouth/smallmouth bass fisheries.

What are the options (if any) ?

1. Sign a Petition and present it to Alberta Fish and Wildlife ? Create a banner and /or posters and get people to sign a form or log on to a website to confirm their opinion. Maybe this list would be larger than people would think. I would guess that there are over 500 anglers that would support this idea in this province.

2. Maybe Alberta Fisheries could send a small survey out to every alberta angler that buys a licence. Ask the question - Would you like to see a few lakes with largemouth and small mouth bass available to the alberta angler ?

I find that even the B.C. bass lakes are getting overfished and the amount of large fish in existing lakes are decreasing every year. Alot of locals and albertans still eat bass when they go to B.C. to fish for them. I have seen it so many times and it is depressing. Bass dont get stocked ......... HELLO !!!!!!!!! If you like fishing for them ....................then release them or else you are only hurting yourself and the fishery you enjoy.

If you wanna bragg about the size of your bass...........take some pictures and post them dont eat them.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:35 AM

If you enjoy fishing for them, go to where the bass are!

No need to bring them here. Should we have asian carp too?

If you want to go shark fishing you go to them right?
Old 01-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
If you enjoy fishing for them, go to where the bass are!

No need to bring them here. Should we have asian carp too?

If you want to go shark fishing you go to them right?
If you don't like hearing about BASS don't read the posts.......

BRING ON THE BASS ........
Old 01-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Banned

Cool

ask you self this is a mild winter for the most part how many lakes have open water in my local area none. that is just for starters. bass need temps in the mid seventys to spawn and be successful, in my part of the world that only occurs mid july and ends first week of september. giving bass an 8 week growing season not very long. now the rest of the year when they are half asleep they are assaulted by predators left and right. the lakes stocked with bass would grow sum big pike and that's about it .one option I can think of would be power station cooling water ponds. this is a good alternative and could be seriously considered the difficulty would be gaining access for all or using a system requiring training to be on these private waters. I enjoy bass they would pose a much greater challenge in our ever changing weather patterns than most would anticipate. a solution offerd
Old 01-11-2012, 09:38 AM

Lightbulb

Bass love to eat perch and they are friendly with trout so they should stock bass in trout friendly waters with an over population of perch, problem solved
Old 01-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
Bass love to eat perch and they are friendly with trout so they should stock bass in trout friendly waters with an over population of perch, problem solved
You obviously don't understand the first thing about conservation issues, with introduced species and the unintended consequences they can have on native species.

Get yourself educated on that first. As someone else said, if you want to go bass fishing, go where the fish are.... they aren't here naturally for a reason.

Quit friggin' with nature.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
You obviously don't understand the first thing about conservation issues, with introduced species and the unintended consequences they can have on native species.

Get yourself educated on that first. As someone else said, if you want to go bass fishing, go where the fish are.... they aren't here naturally for a reason.

Bass are simple species, there not like transferring pike from a lake and putting pike into lakes that killed TROUT lakes off, bass don't do that, if you have caught bass and read about bass then you would know about that
Old 01-11-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
If you don't like hearing about BASS don't read the posts.......

BRING ON THE BASS ........
Im with this guy!!!! I love bass!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Bass are simple species, there not like transferring pike from a lake and putting pike into lakes that killed TROUT lakes off, bass don't do that, if you have caught bass and read about bass then you would know about that
As simple of a solution as that may sound, I don't think it would be that easy. Few of us around here are nearly qualified enough to make the decision to introduce non-native fish to our waters. IMO, stocked rainbows are ok, since they cannot breed. Have they been able to do that for bass? Introducing new non-native species to an environment can have very complex consequences, many of them unforeseeable.

I suggest reading up on introduced carp, cane toads, and apple snails to start.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to try my hand at bass fishing, but I'll make the trip out there. I don't need another introduced species causing potential havoc around here.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Thunder View Post
As simple of a solution as that may sound, I don't think it would be that easy. Few of us around here are nearly qualified enough to make the decision to introduce non-native fish to our waters. IMO, stocked rainbows are ok, since they cannot breed. Have they been able to do that for bass? Introducing new non-native species to an environment can have very complex consequences, many of them unforeseeable.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to try my hand at bass fishing, but I'll make the trip out there. I don't need another introduced species causing potential havoc around here.
Many many people on here will tell you Bass can not breed here
Old 01-11-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Many many people on here will tell you Bass can not breed here
Ok, I stand corrected then. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:

It's a blast on Vancouver Island, when the trout are not biting you go shallow for the bass, then for trout when bass are not biting, it's so cool, you can even swim with bass as they are not scared at all, they will swim up to you have a peek then swim slowly back down, you can watch them for hours.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:

Ever time this subject is brought up you post the same statement.
Each time you are as to produce proof of negative consequences that occurred the first time Bass were introduced in Alberta. You have yet to produce any.
So I ask again were is your proof that a put and take Bass fishery would be harmful to Alberta's fishery.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:18 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Ok, I stand corrected then. Thanks.
There are a lot of different kinds of bass, each with its own habitat and reproduction requirements. Saying bass can or can't do something really means little until the type of bass is specified.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
try big pike with buzzbaits, bass are fun but nothing like a big toothy fish launching out of the lake
Ive fished lots of both (almost everything) and hands down pound for pound I personally consider Bass to be the most exciting fresh water fish (non anadromous). Most pike don;t even move, just big head shakes until you get them close, then they run. Some jump, but not like Bass. just my experience
Old 01-11-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
Bass fishing is such a blast, I really wish they were in Alberta lakes. The way they burst out of the water and try to shake out the hook while in the air.... nothing like it!!
The only reason the burst out of the water is because some hillbilly is using 50 pound braid, sets the hook like he's on a marlin, and yanking on the fish like he's pulling in a truck. These guys skip the bass along the top as they are feverishly reeling thier line in and catapulting up the 3lb bass up onto the deck of their 16 ft, 500hp bass boat.

Try yanking a 3lb pike onto the deck of your boat with 15lb test and see what happens - the head will be decapitated - or worse yet the hook will spring up right into your face and bury itself in your cheek.

Having lived in the US and fished for both pike and Bass - there is not much a difference in fight - but a whole lot has to do with the gear we use versus the gear they use.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
There are a lot of different kinds of bass, each with its own habitat and reproduction requirements. Saying bass can or can't do something really means little until the type of bass is specified.
I am going to guess Smallmouth Bass, they should do fine here, i don't know if they will get together with pike and sing carols though
Old 01-11-2012, 11:28 AM
jrs

Ive fished bass in bc, fun but i still prefer trout. And i would definetly be concerned about impacts of introducing bass, specifically small mouths. We have lakes in southern Alberta that would very likely support all life stages for them, including spawning. Luckily, SRD is very stubborn regarding introducing new species, and i feel as though the only way they're coming would involve the bucket brigade. Guarnateed triploid would be cool for put and take, but too expensive to worry about being considered.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:32 PM

Ok, lets settle the bass thing once and for all. I'm sure someone on here is a landowner with a dugout. Lets start a collection, stock the dugout with bass, and then all you bass guys can go fish for them. End of argument...
Old 01-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ever time this subject is brought up you post the same statement.
Each time you are as to produce proof of negative consequences that occurred the first time Bass were introduced in Alberta. You have yet to produce any.
So I ask again were is your proof that a put and take Bass fishery would be harmful to Alberta's fishery.
Yeah, I know you are not really bit on using the precautionary principle.

Perhaps a picture will help you figure it out:

Old 01-11-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:

Do you know what the number one way in California is to catch bass? Big rainbow trout swimbaits. They stock rainbows down there in bass lakes just for food.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:29 PM

Not interested in Bass fishing. I have no desire to have my hat, all my clothes, and my boat plastered with fishing equipment manufacturer's logos.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
The only reason the burst out of the water is because some hillbilly is using 50 pound braid, sets the hook like he's on a marlin, and yanking on the fish like he's pulling in a truck. These guys skip the bass along the top as they are feverishly reeling thier line in and catapulting up the 3lb bass up onto the deck of their 16 ft, 500hp bass boat.

Try yanking a 3lb pike onto the deck of your boat with 15lb test and see what happens - the head will be decapitated - or worse yet the hook will spring up right into your face and bury itself in your cheek.

Having lived in the US and fished for both pike and Bass - there is not much a difference in fight - but a whole lot has to do with the gear we use versus the gear they use.
Are you saying that bass do not break surface and become airborne unless they are yanked into the air.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, I know you are not really bit on using the precautionary principle.

Perhaps a picture will help you figure it out:

Thank you very much for again providing no proof for your comments against Bass introduction. I would possibly attempt to give your views a second thought if bass had never been introduced in Alberta then there could be concern for some objective reluctance. But as this is NOT the case I fine your reply moot
Old 01-11-2012, 02:21 PM

Bring on the Bass. I would bet they survive in AB. They are all over northern Minnesota and Wisconsin and out in the northeastern states. They can and will survive the winters here. Bring the on panfish too. The bass need variety in their diet. They would get bored eating perch all the time. Not sure why everyone is so scared of the bass killing off trout. There are more sport fish than just trout.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thank you very much for again providing no proof for your comments against Bass introduction. I would possibly attempt to give your views a second thought if bass had never been introduced in Alberta then there could be concern for some objective reluctance. But as this is NOT the case I fine your reply moot
Guess you refuse to understand.

Basic conservation says that if you can't prove safety, then you don't introduce a new species. The experiment back in the '80's by Smoky Lake tells us nothing. First of all, there were no impact studies done before or after, so we don't KNOW what the impact was, do we?

Secondly, the ecosystem of that lake may well not be that of any other introductions, whether on purpose or accidental.

We CAN'T know the potential impacts of a non-native species into our waters, can we?

And if we can't know, how can we, as responsible conservationists (you are one too, right?), advocate those introductions.

Too many of our native fish are already in trouble, and you want to introduce a competitive fish into that?

Doesn't make ecological sense at all.
Closed Thread