Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-23-2011, 12:55 PM

Default Edmonton NSR fishing.

Anyone know of any hot spots on the North Sask River within the city limits? Yesterday my friend and I took the canoe out just under the dawson bridge.. we paddled upstream a while and got nothing..

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-23-2011, 01:05 PM

Actually I've heard the Dawson park mentioned many times, though it's a little out of my neighborhood so I've never really checked it out before. You can also fish over by the Hermitage dog park and under the Beverly bridge.

Overall though, the river is still fishing pretty slow

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-23-2011, 02:04 PM

I used to live right next to the dawson bridge theres alot of action to be had there but this time of year is pretty challenging due to the dirty water visibility is very poor and the fish that are on the prowl are mainly using their sense of smell that said i recomend baits and dead sticking it will be very slow as all of the fish are in different spots this time of year if you put in some time you will find them
Old 04-23-2011, 04:48 PM

Walk North across the Quesnel bridge and fish the outflow. All you need is a slip bobber and 50 bags of worms. Great fun for the kids!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:37 PM

Thanks!! Im going to try the dawson area again tomorrow, this time I am bringing the trolling motor so we are not fighting the currents. I seen a few people shore fishing however I dont want to stand in wet mud all day. I'll let you know If i get a bite or 2.

Cheers!
Old 04-23-2011, 11:47 PM

Cool nsr!!

Ive been trying the river on and off for two years and havent been doing well at all. I would really like to find a place where one gets lucky once in awhile even. Tried dawson plenty with not even a bite. tried almost everywhere near edmonton at least once, some lots but nothing ever. Would love to get out with someone who knows better. I have a 4x4 and all gear. lets get out!
Old 04-24-2011, 12:12 AM

I've done heavy research for my trip tomorrow, and I plan to follow the advice from the other posts on this thread.. I'll be launching my Canoe at the dawson bridge tomorrow, with a fish finder and a trolling motor.. If I fail there monday I plan on trying by the beverly bridge.. I have a "no quit" attitude..

Check this link out.. it's what got me started on this new adventure..

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...cle.cfm&ID=220

I dont ice fish (no hut, auger.. ect) so really in this weather the NSR is the only place I can fish...

shoot me a PM and I will keep you posted!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDanno316xX View Post
I've done heavy research for my trip tomorrow, and I plan to follow the advice from the other posts on this thread.. I'll be launching my Canoe at the dawson bridge tomorrow, with a fish finder and a trolling motor.. If I fail there monday I plan on trying by the beverly bridge.. I have a "no quit" attitude..

Check this link out.. it's what got me started on this new adventure..

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...cle.cfm&ID=220

I dont ice fish (no hut, auger.. ect) so really in this weather the NSR is the only place I can fish...

shoot me a PM and I will keep you posted!
Another spot I think I forgot to mention is down by the quesnel bridge on the South side of the river. I believe you go down Fox Drive headed North and there's a little park where you can park and walk down to the river. Try fishing around the mouth of the Whitemud Creek where it opens up to the NSR. It's been a little while since I've driven down that way, so I'm not sure if it's totally ice free over there or not. Hopefully somebody else will chime in and help out with that one

The river is a tricky creature, but if you put in the time and do some exploring you'll get yourself into some fish, and you'll find yourself catching different fish in different areas at different times of the year. Don't get discouraged if you don't catch anything your first few trips out this year - like I said, overall the river is still fishing really slow. In a couple weeks when the water starts to warm a little and it clears up you'll do a lot better. You can still catch fish now, but with the dirty water you'll want to use bait of some sort so they can sniff it out.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-24-2011, 10:33 AM

TFH used to have a river map put out by the City parks. Showed all access and launches in the city. Some of the more common fishing spots are Whitemud creek mouth, Hermitage, Goldbar even out as far as Devon or the fort.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:32 AM

At the mouth of the whitemud friday, didn't get any ourselves, but saw 2 men pull out atleast 15 suckers, one burbot, and one eye, worms + pickeral rigs ofc. Very muddy, still some ice at the best spot.

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt
Old 04-24-2011, 04:51 PM

Crossed the beverly bridge today (Easter).
Lots of ice and logs starting to float down the river.
Not a very good idea to boat down the river right now.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Banned

Playing around on the rivers right now can be pretty risky, the ice does not come off the whole river at once, it might be ice free at Edmonton but the upper reaches are still shedding their ice and sending it down river. If your going to be boating on the river use caution and be prepared to head home if you start seeing ice drifting down river. You probably dont wanna be out there when it gets all choked up with ice chunks.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:15 AM

The NSR was ice free in Devon this morning, (except the gravel bar on the north side), only a little ice floating down. On Thursday, it was pretty much iced over, it doesn't take long for the river to clear up given the warm weather we've had.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFish View Post
At the mouth of the whitemud friday, didn't get any ourselves, but saw 2 men pull out atleast 15 suckers, one burbot, and one eye, worms + pickeral rigs ofc. Very muddy, still some ice at the best spot.
Hahaha. Just how muddy was it!? LOL!!
Old 04-25-2011, 01:06 PM

50 street boat launch is still closed. Seems like every year they wait for 2 weeks after ice out to open it???
Old 04-25-2011, 01:23 PM

Still is a little soon to fish the NSR. Water is still running muddy and the water level is up a bit. I image it is going to run higher once the mountains let go.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:44 PM

I was by lgcc yesterday and today. yesterday the ice was not to bad but today it was real bad. still no luck though. skunked again. It was real nice to just get out with the kids and wife. Have any of you guys had any luck this year?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:45 PM

Are the sturgen bitting. When the South Sask. River is high and muddy it makes for the best fishing for sturgen. And we always catch suckers when the sturgen are bitting. Down south we have to wait 13 more days to fish on the rivers.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypower View Post
I was by lgcc yesterday and today. yesterday the ice was not to bad but today it was real bad. still no luck though. skunked again. It was real nice to just get out with the kids and wife. Have any of you guys had any luck this year?
Cruised by there after work around 7 today. Water is waaaaaay up and there was a lot of ice coming down the river again.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 04-26-2011, 07:42 AM

drove by gold bar and there is lots of ice coming down with no breaks, and river is high and dirty.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:45 AM

We spent 5 hours on the river on easter sunday, the ice was not bad at all, we were able to avoid all the ice by simply pushing it away with a oar, the larger ones I just turned to motor on and moved out of the way.. As for the fish, not a single hit.. Next weekend I will hit the mouth of the whitemud creek, or hermitage..

Happy Fishing!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Cruised by there after work around 7 today. Water is waaaaaay up and there was a lot of ice coming down the river again.
Last night when I was on my way back from the city stopped off all them huge ice burgs were gone and everything under water , I will pop by there lateer today to check it out , far to much ice and trees coming down , man she was really moving fast .
Old 04-26-2011, 01:10 PM

Default Nsr

Hit The NSR last Friday, Found a hot spot with Baby Burbot (1-2lbs max) and only got hit with 1 iceburg. It was a good day, freezing cold wind though!
Old 04-26-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post
Hit The NSR last Friday, Found a hot spot with Baby Burbot (1-2lbs max) and only got hit with 1 iceburg. It was a good day, freezing cold wind though!
Where did you fish?
Old 04-26-2011, 01:28 PM

Within Edmonton city limits.....right around bridge X....... LOL
Old 04-26-2011, 01:33 PM

LOL!

Dont worry, I am after Walleye and Pike.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:35 PM

Thumbs up Nsr Pike April 26, 2011

I caught this snot rocket on 6 lb test fireline with a 6 lb test fluorocarbon leader line. Axeman gave me help landing this one and had to hang onto my leg to prevent him from falling into the nsr while trying to lift the fish out of the water. Sorry you pants got
dirty Axeman.....
Fun to catch ultra-lite fishing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nsr1_pike_apr26_11.JPG (67.8 KB, 316 views)
Old 04-26-2011, 10:43 PM

Nice work Paul! Seeing pike come out of this muddy-arse water is encouraging!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 04-26-2011, 10:57 PM

You owe me one, Paul. It was a pretty encouraging night on the river tonite. We actually had a double header going when Paul hooked the big pike. Mine was a burb though. Some other guys were at our spot before us and were just leaving. They landed a hog 8 pound walleye. There was still quite a bit of ice in the river tonite.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
You owe me one, Paul. It was a pretty encouraging night on the river tonite. We actually had a double header going when Paul hooked the big pike. Mine was a burb though. Some other guys were at our spot before us and were just leaving. They landed a hog 8 pound walleye. There was still quite a bit of ice in the river tonite.
That is very good news! I am heading out this weekend. Going to fisht the mouth of whitemud creek... This river has skunked me 3 times in a row.. Im glad someone is catching!

Hope to see some of you guys out there!

Tags
edmonton, fishing, north saskatchewan river