Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2017, 10:08 AM

Default Calgary Area Wild Game Processors

Looking for some feedback on where you all like to take your game to get pepperoni, sausage ect made. I've heard Paolini's, Ryan's Meats, Rocky's Haus, Gour Mart ect. Where to go and where to stay away? TIA
Old 09-26-2017, 11:59 AM

I've been super happy with the guys at Ryan's Meats, used them a few times.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:40 PM

Maybe take 20lbs to each of the 4 that you mentioned and let your taste buds decide which is best! I have a personal preference of the 4 having worked in the industry, but everyone is best judge of what they like best.

I am extremely mindful of sanitation and hygiene. Take a walk in the back-ask to look in the cooler and your choices should narrow down quickly.

Last edited by omega50; 09-26-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:39 PM

I haven't harvested anything yet but when I do I plan to go to Paulini's. Just cause they have the best hot Hungarian sausage you'll ever eat.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Soldier View Post
I haven't harvested anything yet but when I do I plan to go to Paulini's. Just cause they have the best hot Hungarian sausage you'll ever eat.
And the best pepperoni sticks as well. imo

Orv.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:05 AM

Don't go to gour-mart.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:09 AM

I have been going to Gour-Mart for over 45 years and have never considered anywhere else, neither has the others of who were recommended by me to go there.

Darrell has great staff and I like the product they put out........IMHO

You are going to get a lot of opinions but take the names that keep popping up and go visit their shop...

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 09-27-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:56 PM

Save yourself the gong show at Gour-Mart. Nothing like going through all the trouble of a clean, ethical harvest - submitting a clean animal to a butcher and paying for meat cutting services - only to unwrap bloodshot meat for supper.

Never again for me, or any of my friends after they saw what he made me pay for.

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=243705
Old 09-27-2017, 04:43 PM

Rocky has always been great to deal with and treats you like a friend rather than a customer
Old 09-27-2017, 06:23 PM

^X2. Rocky's a good guy.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:46 PM

Stopped in at Rocky's. Great guy while offering you to sample whatever you wanted, and it was good. 20lb batch.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2017, 07:54 PM

Anywhere but Ryans meat.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:41 PM

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Maybe take 20lbs to each of the 4 that you mentioned and let your taste buds decide which is best! I have a personal preference of the 4 having worked in the industry, but everyone is best judge of what they like best.

I am extremely mindful of sanitation and hygiene. Take a walk in the back-ask to look in the cooler and your choices should narrow down quickly.
What is your personal preference?
Old 09-28-2017, 10:56 PM

Default Meat Processor

Rocky's
Old 09-29-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyBoxer View Post
What is your personal preference?
I prefer not to say. As you can see what one member highly recommends-another member highly condemns.

It is a brutal profession and over the decade that I contracted sausage, jerky and Charcuterie services to a busy shop-I would say that only 4 of 10 animals should have been even allowed through the door.

Yet 10 out of 10 of those hunters would claim that their animal was spotless and pristine.

Butchers are highly underpaid and should really charge at least 4x more just to begin to put up with the horrors they encounter every day.

Personally I am shocked that any still provide this service.

They are held to the highest standards of what they deliver in finished product yet few are willing to alienate their customers by only accepting the highest quality of animals thru their doors.

So go look in the cooler of any wild game shop and see what they are dealing with. It will blow your mind and give a new appreciation for these unsung heroes.

I used to regularly refuse to accept animals and would have guys waiting after hours to fight because they felt I had insulted their manhood.

If you are man enough to pull the trigger then you are man enough to learn field care. No exceptions.

I have seen a whole frozen unskinned moose that had campfires built in the chest cavity with bottle caps pressed into the flesh along the cut lines. Meat turning green as it unthawed left on the parking lot to rot after I refused it.

They just drove away after screaming at me to stop being such a a-hole. Leaving a frozen rotting moose on our parking lot. Somehow all MY fault.

Without prejudice
Instead of all the negative hearsay that is posted about butchers-I would like to see butchers push back and post pics and names of the horrors that come thru their doors. Shine a light back at the cockroaches that grace their doors every day and then slag them online.IMHO

Last edited by omega50; 09-29-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:11 PM

Picked up peperonni and garlic sausage from Rocky's. Excellent, especially the pep. I also brought a pack of each into work (majority non-hunters) and they all loved it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Without prejudice
Instead of all the negative hearsay that is posted about butchers-I would like to see butchers push back and post pics and names of the horrors that come thru their doors. Shine a light back at the cockroaches that grace their doors every day and then slag them online.IMHO
Honestly I'd love to see that as well. It'd be discouraging but at the same time enlightening. Seeing how many people keep their houses and cars etc (dirty and run down) its hardly surprising they have low standard in meat care. Lazy is lazy. And the lazy are generally the most entitled most disconnected lot...go figure.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I prefer not to say. As you can see what one member highly recommends-another member highly condemns.

It is a brutal profession and over the decade that I contracted sausage, jerky and Charcuterie services to a busy shop-I would say that only 4 of 10 animals should have been even allowed through the door.

Yet 10 out of 10 of those hunters would claim that their animal was spotless and pristine.

Butchers are highly underpaid and should really charge at least 4x more just to begin to put up with the horrors they encounter every day.

Personally I am shocked that any still provide this service.

They are held to the highest standards of what they deliver in finished product yet few are willing to alienate their customers by only accepting the highest quality of animals thru their doors.

So go look in the cooler of any wild game shop and see what they are dealing with. It will blow your mind and give a new appreciation for these unsung heroes.

I used to regularly refuse to accept animals and would have guys waiting after hours to fight because they felt I had insulted their manhood.

If you are man enough to pull the trigger then you are man enough to learn field care. No exceptions.

I have seen a whole frozen unskinned moose that had campfires built in the chest cavity with bottle caps pressed into the flesh along the cut lines. Meat turning green as it unthawed left on the parking lot to rot after I refused it.

They just drove away after screaming at me to stop being such a a-hole. Leaving a frozen rotting moose on our parking lot. Somehow all MY fault.

Without prejudice

All of this and funny we say every year we need to start taking pics of the best and worst and hang them in the shop.Last year was really bad because it was really warm for a lot of the season.