Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2017, 09:57 AM

Exclamation A great low cost alternative to monitored security

I have several of these in my place for when we are not home. In the garage, in the boat, in the house. I can control it completely from my computer or phone anywhere on the planet with internet. It has pan and tilt, you can zoom in, freeze frame and slow down video. I have installed lots of these for friends and businesses. Great low cost alternative.
When the motion or sound alert is triggered, I get email notification including stills taken at the time of alert plus a video. It does not go to the 'cloud' the only cost is used bandwidth which is very low. These (5010/5020/5030L) cameras have great low LUX capability and the iR emitters work well.

Someone would have to cut the power to override them, which I have beaten by having each one on a UPS battery backup, including my routers. When you get the notification you call the Police or a neighbor if not home, but you have video proof for insurance and proof.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...10272232.aspx?

Overview
Add a watchful eye to your home or office with the D-Link Pan & Tilt Network Camera with Night Vision. A useful surveillance solution, this camera can pan and tilt to provide an all-encompassing view of your property. Night-vision LED lights let the camera capture clear images in the dark, while remote monitoring makes it easy to monitor the camera from your PC, smartphone or tablet.
More Information
Pan and tilt the camera to obtain a clear picture of what's going on from different angles
Night-vision LED lights let the camera see in the dark up to 8 metres, so you can monitor your property 24/7
Remotely view and manage the camera from your PC, iPhone, iPad or Android device
Receive email alerts when motion is sensed
Get closer to the action using the camera's 4x digital zoom
Wireless N connectivity with WiFi protected setup
Support for H.264/MJPEG video codec
Infrared-cut filter delivers more vivid daytime colour representation
Built-in microphone records sound
One-year limited warranty from D-Link

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-13-2017, 10:06 AM

Have you ever put one outside Ken? Im curious as to how well it would work in the cold.
I had my side by side and trailer stolen out of my RV parking pad in College Park subdivision in Lloyd this past christmas and have been looking for something to watch over the parking pad since.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:09 AM
Banned

There was a time I told people to buy these, not anymore. Anyone taps in and figures out your location - they'll know when you're not home.

Lots of this going on.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/securit...ith-one-click/

How's the rest of your network? Wireless and secure?
Old 10-13-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
There was a time I told people to buy these, not anymore. Anyone taps in and figures out your location - they'll know when you're not home.

Lots of this going on.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/securit...ith-one-click/

How's the rest of your network? Wireless and secure?
That was a year ago, has it been addressed yet? Would hope so.

Anything can be hacked. Equifax was just hacked to the tune of multiple million accounts. Cia and Fbi get hacked regularily.

I am as secure as I can be with my knowledge of firewalls and anti-intrusion software.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-13-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
Have you ever put one outside Ken? Im curious as to how well it would work in the cold.
I had my side by side and trailer stolen out of my RV parking pad in College Park subdivision in Lloyd this past christmas and have been looking for something to watch over the parking pad since.
As close as I have gotten to outside with these units is under the boat cover with battery backup. Out in the elements, no. They do however make units that are made for outside uses.

This one is for outdoors, however is not wireless. Have to drill a hole through a wall and run the ethernet cable- which is how it is powered as well. There are lots of them.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...10409571.aspx?

When I built my garage I got the gas company to run a 2nd gas line from the house, in it I put rca, coax, ethernet and phone lines which was very slick. Tough to do after but doable. I used a thin string with a light ball tied to it and a vacuum at the garage end, then pulled all the cables through with the string.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
That was a year ago, has it been addressed yet? Would hope so.

Anything can be hacked. Equifax was just hacked to the tune of multiple million accounts. Cia and Fbi get hacked regularily.

I am as secure as I can be with my knowledge of firewalls and anti-intrusion software.
It hasn't been addressed yet to my knowledge. And more exploits are coming out. And it's not just d-link.

It may sound paranoid, but If you're going to use these cameras. All of these cams have issues.

At a very minimum people need to use secure passwords. Too many people are installing these - and i'm not saying you - with the default passwords. You don't want to be a part of this: https://www.insecam.org/ - and that's the tip of the iceberg.

When I install these now, they don't have access to the internet - no monitoring but it is what it is. Installed on a separate closed loop wireless network, at least then you're only concerned about local hackers trying to tap your wireless. You can set up secure access to your home to monitor, but i won't get into that. D-link has a free DVR software that can store all video locally on a dedicated windows computer. If anything does happen, at least you have the video.

You need to realize that the monitoring is actually in the cloud on d-links servers - and there's your issue. So these cameras are leaving your network, accessing the internet and going elsewhere.

And by the way, monitoring these from a smartphone eats alot of data. I know people that have gotten bills for thousands of dollars from the provider - because they didn't know to close the app. Close the monitoring app when not in use.

I won't even get into FLIR.

It is what it is.

Last edited by silverdoctor; 10-13-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
It hasn't been addressed yet to my knowledge. And more exploits are coming out. And it's not just d-link.It may sound paranoid, but If you're going to use these cameras. All of these cams have issues. At a very minimum people need to use secure passwords. Too many people are installing these - and i'm not saying you - with the default passwords. You don't want to be a part of this: https://www.insecam.org/ - and that's the tip of the iceberg.
When I install these now, they don't have access to the internet - no monitoring but it is what it is. Installed on a separate closed loop wireless network, at least then you're only concerned about local hackers trying to tap your wireless. You can set up secure access to your home to monitor, but i won't get into that. D-link has a free DVR software that can store all video locally on a dedicated windows computer. If anything does happen, at least you have the video. You need to realize that the monitoring is actually in the cloud on d-links servers - and there's your issue. So these cameras are leaving your network, accessing the internet and going elsewhere. And by the way, monitoring these from a smartphone eats alot of data. I know people that have gotten bills for thousands of dollars from the provider - because they didn't know to close the app. Close the monitoring app when not in use.I won't even get into FLIR.It is what it is.
Everything to do with a computer is insecure. And phones. And your tap debit and credit cards. And your car. And your windows can easily be broken allowing access to your belongings.

I have had these cameras for years. 0 issues. 0 times have I used mass data. Mine don't go to the Cloud, you may be looking at a different one.

I like them you dont.

I will keep using them.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:07 AM
Banned

Feel free, just saying.

Not trying to start an argument here.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:16 AM

These look interesting and the price is really good.

Where do these cams save the video? Does it only save on a local computer? I'm just thinking of the scenario where someone breaks into your house and is caught on the cam but then steals your computer.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:41 PM

i bought an EBITCAM off amazon for 50 bucks. Does all that stuff, uses wifi so you can view from anywhere, and quite small. It also has a voice feature so if you're watching a pet, you can talk to him. It has motion detection as well as night vision. It can also record to microSD in case you don't have wifi.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
I've had a different brand pan/tilt outside since 2012, it hasn't fozen up once, would still pan/tilt at -30.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:10 PM

Have you guys noticed how much these devices tax your internet? That's a lot of bandwidth to transfer the live video.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:14 PM
Gone Hunting

I've been looking for some kind of security camera, but the reviews on these is all over the map and not being suitable for outside use would scratch them of my list of possibles.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-13-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
It hasn't been addressed yet to my knowledge. And more exploits are coming out. And it's not just d-link.

It may sound paranoid, but If you're going to use these cameras. All of these cams have issues.

At a very minimum people need to use secure passwords. Too many people are installing these - and i'm not saying you - with the default passwords. You don't want to be a part of this: https://www.insecam.org/ - and that's the tip of the iceberg.

When I install these now, they don't have access to the internet - no monitoring but it is what it is. Installed on a separate closed loop wireless network, at least then you're only concerned about local hackers trying to tap your wireless. You can set up secure access to your home to monitor, but i won't get into that. D-link has a free DVR software that can store all video locally on a dedicated windows computer. If anything does happen, at least you have the video.

You need to realize that the monitoring is actually in the cloud on d-links servers - and there's your issue. So these cameras are leaving your network, accessing the internet and going elsewhere.

And by the way, monitoring these from a smartphone eats alot of data. I know people that have gotten bills for thousands of dollars from the provider - because they didn't know to close the app. Close the monitoring app when not in use.

It is what it is.
Well said. Total false sense of security. Half of security alone IMO is having signage as well from a company burlers are aware of and stay away from. $5 security signs from home depot dont count either. You get what you pay for especially in the world of protecting your goods!
Old 10-13-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT_420 View Post
Well said. Total false sense of security. Half of security alone IMO is having signage as well from a company burlers are aware of and stay away from. $5 security signs from home depot dont count either. You get what you pay for especially in the world of protecting your goods!
Your security only has to be better than your neighbors.. Or.. Have the appearance that it's better.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Have you guys noticed how much these devices tax your internet? That's a lot of bandwidth to transfer the live video.
Not sure about the internet but they tax your wifi big time. I have 3 cameras and a DNR-202L recorder. I put them on their own router and it's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I've been looking for some kind of security camera, but the reviews on these is all over the map and not being suitable for outside use would scratch them of my list of possibles.
They do have outdoor cameras. I have 2 of them DCS-2330L and DCS-2332L. They have both been outside for a few summers and winters with no issues.

The DNR-202L works pretty good as well. Has quite a few features for a $90.00 item. Also nice to view multiple cameras.

http://ca.dlink.com/products/home-so...ideo-recorder/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2017-10-06-08-59-49_resized.jpg (32.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 10-13-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedmon View Post
These look interesting and the price is really good.

Where do these cams save the video? Does it only save on a local computer? I'm just thinking of the scenario where someone breaks into your house and is caught on the cam but then steals your computer.
It emails you the video live as it is happening as well as saves it locally. You can look for iCloud devices too but you pay monthly for the service.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Not even noticeable. If you are not live monitoring there is zero. It only uses bandwidth when it is triggered by sound or movement or you hitting the record button.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:

It is what it is.
Great summary and contribution.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2017, 05:40 PM
Banned

Anybody ever notice your wife is doing the pizza delivery guy more often than you thought? Nothing like pizza with italian sausage.