Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2017, 07:12 PM

Default Bear attack in Panther area

Just heard a person was attacked by a bear in Panther River area and was airlifted to Sundre hospital. Just seeing if anyone has anymore information on it?
Old 08-24-2017, 07:22 PM
Banned

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/inv...ndre-1.3560848
Old 08-24-2017, 07:54 PM

Wonder if it was another Grizz Attack. Hope it is and it brings to light how many Grizz there are. There seems to have been way more attacks the last few years. Glad it wasn't a fatality
Old 08-24-2017, 07:59 PM
Banned

I work in the Panther area on a regular basis. Last time that I've visited the area (early August), I was thinking of doing some fishing there. But I was aware of the potential issues. Seeing as though I could not pack the .454 Casul, I opted otherwise. The article that cravy_davey posted indicates that the victim went to Mountainair Lodge which is currently closed down due to flooding in 2013. The Panther Lodge is just up the road and that's where I plan to overnite on future trips. Very close to my work area.

Last edited by gitrdun; 08-24-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:24 PM
Suspended User

We were at sundre hospital this am, and got the scoop. The outdoorsman was about 12 km from his vehicle. While he was bent over stirring breakfast, the bear just charged and grabbed him. The fellow fought back good, grabbed the bear by the tounge at one point.
Bear drug him back down from a tree chewed on him and left.
Poor guy. Passed out several times, tried to eat and drink for strength.
Eye lid torn, mouth ripped and more. Tough character.

Need some of those antis to go out there and see if the bears ok. Lol sounds like the guy gave him a set of sore nuts from what I was told.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:06 PM

If someone had shot a bear in that area the news would be playing it up and you would hear a lot about it. But man gets mauled by bear the news does not make much of a deal about it. Sad times.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:06 PM

Just back from the Panther. We decided to ride around Klein Lake, seemed less problematic. No warning signs and a bunch of fish cop trucks at the helicopter pad at the old ranger station. Tried to get some info from Sundre F & W and just got the run around. Can't talk to you, call this number. Answering machine and left message. Message on our machine from the broad in Sundre when we got home. Pr guy says I'm in charge of talking to the public. Call me. Good day to ride anyway. Got to wonder if this was a Sheep hunter.

Grizz
Old 08-25-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
........... Tough character.
He is a very tough character.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:48 PM
Banned

new update on the article said the guy was out preparing for his sheep hunt when he got attacked.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:14 PM

People have to realize that when they are in an area like that, they are 24/7 in harm's way. No time for complacency, whether you're stirring a little spice into the soup, or studying a map, or brushing your teeth.

You are a foreign creature there, to be tested or eliminated or eaten.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:33 AM

I hope that he is alright, darn scary situation to deal with.

I agree with post above.
It might be good to not let complacency get in the way, take measures to ensure that all of us pay attention to what's going on around us,,, not only in bear country, but everything out-doors including the trip to & from.

Our surroundings dictate what actions we "might" choose as each situations needs different thoughts & ideas.

The chances of it happening is 1 in a million, it's always the other guy or gal, it won't happen to me because I.

Not all of us think this way, but some do. Complacency sometimes sets in, or we forget to consider our odds when departing our vehicle.

"Ones odds change when we find our selves off the beaten path, more so the further we wonder away from the grid."

I'm guessing we sometimes take small chances here & there,,, I know I do & have at many out-door activities from hiking, biking, off roading by sled or atv, even standing on the bank of a stream or creek looking at the scenery.

Very unfortunate that this incident happened, hopefully its and eye opener to all of us including my self that we might learn or refresh some ideas that we've learned over the years when venturing into the wilds.

Guess it's time for me to re-write my checks & balance list for 2017. Go threw my bundled self rescue pack, and start taking note of mental prep in-side and out.

As I mentioned on a thread about strange encounter with the furry kind.
If we fail to plan our plan "could" fail.

Today is the day I re-boot my action plan and take part in a few small practic situations,,, kinda like doing the drills in ready-ness.

I know one thing and I'll share this with everyone,,, after a unknown situation happens and time is ticking by...

It is at that point we need water,,, lots and lots of water depending on each situation... Second thing is fast energy source of food depending on how far or long we have to travel for assistance.

A few folks on this forum are aware of my 22 km hike over 7 hours at self rescue in 2014 from deep in the back woods.
It was a dry year, and going after natural water sources when wounded is not an option. The severity of damage to ones self dictates what actions each of us choose.

Don
Old 08-26-2017, 08:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
We were at sundre hospital this am, and got the scoop. The outdoorsman was about 12 km from his vehicle. While he was bent over stirring breakfast, the bear just charged and grabbed him. The fellow fought back good, grabbed the bear by the tounge at one point.
Bear drug him back down from a tree chewed on him and left.
Poor guy. Passed out several times, tried to eat and drink for strength.
Eye lid torn, mouth ripped and more. Tough character.

Need some of those antis to go out there and see if the bears ok. Lol sounds like the guy gave him a set of sore nuts from what I was told.
Man that's just outright horrible, ultimate fight for life against an apponent who just needs a snack!
Hope he recovers well.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-27-2017, 12:13 AM

complacency?
Can't be looking over your shoulder all the time.
Can happen to any of us.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:58 PM

Just posted by F&W on Facebook, bear was a grizzly and there is an area closure now, specifically addressing hunters as the guy was out scouting for sheep:

Quote:
Fish and wildlife officers are investigating a bear mauling in a remote area southwest of Sundre. In anticipation of bighorn sheep season, the man had been scouting about 12 – 13 km away from the trailhead when the incident took place. He was able to escape and hiked to the trailhead before driving his vehicle to the Mountanaire Lodge area. From there, he was airlifted in a private helicopter to the Sundre hospital and then later transferred to a Calgary hospital. He is being treated for serious but non-life threatening injuries to his body, head and face.

Officers collected samples from the survivor’s clothing, and through DNA analysis, we have confirmed that the bear involved was a grizzly. Officers have closed the area to the public and are actively attempting to trap the bear.

When hunting in bear country extra caution should be taken:
• Being quiet, using animal attractants and calls, and travelling alone mean there is an elevated risk of a bear encounter.
• It is important that hunters reduce the risk of a bear encounter by following bear safety protocols.
• If it is not necessary to be stealthy, it is better to warn bears before you get there, rather than being quiet and startling them.
• If you do hear noises, quietly retreating and leaving the area is the best tactic so not to further attract an animal’s attention.
• Firearms are not always readily available in all situations and other measures should be considered.
• Carry bear spray and a non-incendiary noisemaker. Keep them with you and know how to use them.
• If you see a bear, leave the area. Don’t risk an encounter.
• Recognize fresh bear signs, such as droppings, digging or buried carcasses.
• If a bear has become aggressive or taken over a carcass from a kill, contact a fish and wildlife officer.
• Keep your camp BearSmart.
Alberta Parks website has also been update with the closure:
http://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/kan...isories/#32336
Old 08-28-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
I hope that he is alright, darn scary situation to deal with.
A few folks on this forum are aware of my 22 km hike over 7 hours at self rescue in 2014 from deep in the back woods.
It was a dry year, and going after natural water sources when wounded is not an option. The severity of damage to ones self dictates what actions each of us choose.

Don
I'm not aware of your incident. I'd love to hear all the details. I like to be prepared and take all possibilities into account. Feel free to point me to a thread if that's around. Couldn't find one on a quick search just now. Or PM.

I was in the panther area when this happened. Me and a buddy were scouting/glassing up high. I'll also be following the self-rescue pack thread.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:01 PM
Suspended User

I love the simplicity of the statements. He was air evacuated by private helicopter. The part not being said is that from the time he got to the lodge to evacuate, was 2 hours. The first aider was hands on for most of that.
We imagine the rescue being swift once you get to help, but for those who haven't lived in the bush, there is no EMT response within 10 minutes. Be prepared for having to continue to deal with a dying person for hours.
My heart goes out to the poor soul who had their hands covered by this man's blood. This will be a traumatic experience that will haunt that person forever.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagehunter View Post
Just posted by F&W on Facebook, bear was a grizzly and there is an area closure now, specifically addressing hunters as the guy was out scouting for sheep:

Alberta Parks website has also been update with the closure:
http://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/kan...isories/#32336
That says a lot.North burnt Timber is well known for having lots of nasty bears. Actually my first thought when I heard the story.

Grizz
Old 10-14-2017, 06:09 PM

Have spent a lot of time hunting in that area and have had three encounters with bears - two times black bears and one time a grizzly. Sorry to hear about that guy and glad he made it out, and from the sounds of it boy does he have cojones. Apparently lots of cougars in the area too since the flood.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:53 PM

Perhaps bear maulings seem more prevalent on here because people drag up posts from a couple months ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2017, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Wonder if it was another Grizz Attack. Hope it is
ha