Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-09-2011, 08:16 PM

Default Bella Coola fishing holiday info.

I'm looking for info on places to stay for about a week b&bs,cabins or camp grounds. What is the best time of year to go? And what is there to do for a wife and 4 year old to do? I'm trying to make her think this is a good idea so I need some help.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:03 PM

I have heard of Bella Coola being a really scenic area to explore. The village od Bella Coola is very quaint itself. There is a high density of bears in that area during the summer salmon run from what I heard, so there should be lots of bear viewing opportunitys and it would be an obvious thing to bring bear scare as well.

As for places to stay, there seems to be a fair amount of options. This link lists many of the accomodations in Bella Coola.

http://www.bellacoola.ca/valley/accommodation.php

This link says when to fish for the different species of salmon.

http://www.bellacoola.ca/valley/sal****er-fishing.php

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:23 PM

1999 my friend and 1 stoled his parents jeep and for 1 month we went all around b.c it was augest, we went on through to lyloett then up to williams lake and on to dease lake, right next to dease lake is allen lake, huge brook trout in allen lake, then we ended up down in bella coola, we saw about 20 grizzly bears,it was an awsome sight, it was end of augest and a big salmon run back then, they were lovin it, bella coola is a great place for wildlife, i highly recommend anyone to get out there and check it out.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:49 PM

rip-rap campground is where you want to stay.cabins or camping. it's acutely in hangensborge, if you stay with jim he'll let you bar fish in on of the best run on the river. Chinook/springs in late may until july and then coho in aug. tonnes of pinks in the fall. lots of bears but there well fed from all the salmon so its pretty safe. also the craziest road in b.c. down to the valley. make sure you've got good breaks on the car/truck.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:30 PM

Go there twice a year. Late June to mid July, the best time for chinook fishing not to mention sockeye. Late Sept. to early Nov. coho as well as great trout fishing. I always stay at Bailey's Bridge Campgrond and Cabins. Great fishermen cabins (gas stove, full size fridge freezer, loft, power. heat) around $60.00/night, great stretch of river to fish and the owner Kieth is a great guy. If you camp you can get full hookups for $20.00/night. The whole river has great spots to fish depending on the time of year, the type of fishing, and the flow of the river. The Bella Coola has multiple creeks, and rivers running into it with all kinds of honey holes. Talk with the locals they are very nice if you are respectful and ask to walk across thier property to fish they are more than willing to help out. If you need anything talk to the owner/manager at the SHOP EASY (I believe it is called) at Hagensborg he is great for fishing info as well as supplies(tackle/licences). Some of the prior guy's talked about the bears, it is no joke be preppared. Take spray, whistle, bangers make noise, they do primarily eat the fish however, keep the fish and guts in the water. Just be bear smart. It is gods country and my favorite place in the world, it is good to hear people are going down there. They need all of the help and attention they can get after last fall's floods. Also one last thing, make sure you make it into the Bella Coola Hotel for supper one night at least it has unbelievable food.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:21 AM

I've only been out to that part of BC once, but it sure is beautiful out there. Like others have said, there are a lot of grizzly bears in the area, and "the hill" down to the area is quite a hairy ride the first time you do it. Hill my *****!

We stayed at the campground in Hagensborg, which was a nice site. It was the August long weekend and the pinks and chums were running at that time. If you've never seen a salmon run before, it's amazing to see a river almost alive with salmon in it. Here are a couple of pics.

My first pink salmon near Hagensborg

[IMG][/IMG]

Catching the chums on fly fear was a blast... those things put up a good fight!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-10-2011, 08:21 AM

Try this website SportfishingBC.com