Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-02-2008, 08:53 PM

Default Sylvan Youth Fish Derby

From the Sylvan Lake News:

Sylvan Lake youth are invited to an ice fishing derby on the lake next weekend.
The fishing derby is being organized by Sylvan Lake and District Fish and Game Association and is free for any youth aged 16 and under. Registration will begin at 10 a.m. on Feb. 9 at the truck parked on the lake by the pier which will have a big sign to capture attention.
“We want to attract attention to Sylvan Lake and District Fish and Game Association and get youth more involved in outdoor activities,” said Dave Lloyd, director of the derby.
The derby itself will start at 11 a.m. and go until 3 p.m. and include lots of prizes. There will be hot dogs, hot chocolate and other food and drinks so contestants can stay warm.
People will be available to help with tips on tying lures and other helpful procedures that might be useful for someone who doesn’t know the ins and outs of ice fishing.
“This is an activity for all youth to get involved in the fun of ice fishing,” said Lloyd.
He also said the derby is open to youth from anywhere. Last year a family from Europe participated.
For people looking for more information or to pre-register for the derby call Dave Lloyd at 887-2380.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:41 AM

What a great idea! Wish there had been something like this when I was younger...maybe I'd be a pro by now
Old 02-03-2008, 03:24 PM

Red face Taking some boys out to the derby and looking for hints.

A buddy of mine and I will be bringing out some boy scouts to the fishing derby on Saturday. I've never fished the lake and was wondering what would be the best way to ensure that the boys catch fish. We don't care what kind, we just want to catch fish. Any tips as to equipment, presentation, depth etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help that comes our way.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:11 PM

Bring some wireworms & maggots, just about anything in the lake will bite on those. Whites are in 6 - 12 feet it seems, perch & walley 20 - 30 feet. I haven't hooked a pike for weeks but fish the shallows near the weedbeds. Good luck
Old 02-04-2008, 05:15 PM

Red face

Thanks for the information. Now, tell me, where are the weed beds? or is it pretty self explanatory?

Also, when I use wireworms, do i tip them with anything? Do I just jig them? or a still presentation? As you can see, I'm not really an experienced ice fisherman, just sort of picked it up this year. Still learning as I go along.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:31 PM

I'm guessing the Tourney will be all pre-drilled holes so you will be limited to where you can fish anyways. Probably near Marina Bay or the Beach?

A few tips for the Kids:

Whitefish:

Fish in 5 - 15' of water, use a WireWorm tipped with a maggot, lower it to 6" off bottom, jig it 2 -3 times then stop. Bright colors will attact the fish then when you stop they will come in for a closer look. Keep your eyes glued to the bait at all times, the Whities will often swim up to your hook and watch it for a minute or so. This is almost as exciting as catching a fish!

Perch:

Usually in deep water 20' +, so depending on where you are you might catch a few. They tend to be hard to locate and I've always moved around quite a bit to keep on top of them, might not be an option in the tounament. I like small spoons & jiggn' Rapalas tipped with either small minnows or meal worms.
Jig 12" off bottom, if they are really bitting keep your line tight on the way in the hole cause they will sometimes hit on the way down as well.

Pike:

I personally would not target pike if you have a bunch of youngsters with you, they require alot of patience, wire leaders, and bigger gear that will detur the perch & whitefish from bitting. If someone hooks one great! Don't get me wrong they are the most fun to fight and the most difficult to land (if its big anyways). That being said, if the tournement is based on size for prizes the kids might have to compromize quantity for quality....not sure how it will work. Read your regs on the size limit in place for pike as well.

Walley:

Catch n' Release only! Same as perch, deep water, jig a minnow just off bottom.

Ling Cod:

Still fish right on bottom with a minnow & small jig, usually late afternoon is best.

I am not a pro by any means of the imagination so hopefully some others will post their tricks and sectrets as well and correct me in what I am doing wrong. Hope this helps, good luck and most importantly have fun.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:09 PM

This is great info....THanks a bunch. I'll definitely try these tactics out.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:12 PM

Hey Ballyboy, are you still planning on taking your boys to the derby in -25 weather?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:03 PM

That's the plan right now. If we have to get in the van to get warm we will. Aren't you planning on coming? Maybe you can bring your propane heater again. They cancelled their activity on Wednesday to be able to go on Saturday. You'd better come. You told me about it!!!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:19 AM

Not at -25 with a 4 year old that does not care one way or another about the cold. He won't tell you he's cold until it's to late. Besides my van is broke down I have to replace the alternator battery has been replaced but now the battery light keeps coming on so it would be a bad choice on my part to limp my van to Sylvan and have it die on the ice unable to keep us warm let alone get us home that night.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:24 PM

Sage, give me a call so we can work this out. Are you still planning on coming? There are 6 boys plus their one leader that need to come.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:52 PM

Well, it doesn't look like it's going to work out. That will just be a little bit too cold tomorrow. Disapointing for sure. I was looking forward to it too. Oh well. Sage, perhaps we can take the boys out to Cow next Saturday? We should see if we can get that outfitters tent you were talking about and trying to get those boys the chance to catch a perch or two, or in Colton's case, his limit!
Old 02-08-2008, 10:25 PM

I heard on the radio (KG country) that the fishing derby is postponed to
next saturday, due to cold weather.
if anyone is thinking of heading to this derby, you should call
Dave to confirm.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:31 PM

Thanks Rog I suggested that to them when I called Dave on tuesday guess he listened.