Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-10-2017, 09:33 PM

[QUOTE=silverdoctor;3640986]
Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post

The older generation - I assume you from what you posted - have no idea about technology and no concern over it. Barely able to turn on a PC, let alone know the dangers of what you use. I'd urge you to research it, but you won't. I guess when I reach the age of decrepitude, i"ll feel the same way about the younger generation.
Yep! You got me! Described me to a T. I even screwed up the quote thing

Since I have seen what research does to someone like yourself, I think I would prefer decrepitude

Last edited by covey ridge; 10-10-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:14 PM

[QUOTE=covey ridge;3640979]
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
And thanks to Harper, you're soon going to face more restrictions on firearms. Enjoy it cause you won't do anything about it but complain.
QUOTE]

No! It is the younger generation like yourself that seems to be doing most complaining.

But seriously

Try some of that medicinal stuff! It may help take away some of your pain.
Your back pain or that burr up your butt or whatever ails you.

Whatever you think Canada has become, the good, bad or ugly? There is no place I would rather live than Alberta Canada.
When I look around at some other countries I am thankful I am a Canadian as well.
I worked close to 50 years of my life a tradesman, have seen the good , bad, and ugly from the Liberals and the Conservatives and the NDP.

Bottom line is there is no happy middle ground for some people.
Cat
Old 10-10-2017, 10:49 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=catnthehat;3641023]
Quote:
When I look around at some other countries I am thankful I am a Canadian as well.
I worked close to 50 years of my life a tradesman, have seen the good , bad, and ugly from the Liberals and the Conservatives and the NDP.

Bottom line is there is no happy middle ground for some people.
Cat
Which particular countries Cat? Harper started a 15 billion dollar deal with the Saudi's on armed vehicles, Trudeau is pushing to keep it going. Saudi Arabia is a known state sponsor of terrorism. Why are we selling arms like this? We're supposed to be the good guys. Yet we are part of the West in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, helped the color revolution in Ukraine etc.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:53 PM

[QUOTE=silverdoctor;3641071]
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post

Which particular countries Cat? Harper started a 15 billion dollar deal with the Saudi's on armed vehicles, Trudeau is pushing to keep it going. Saudi Arabia is a known state sponsor of terrorism. Why are we selling arms like this? We're supposed to be the good guys. Yet we are part of the West in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, helped the color revolution in Ukraine etc.
Go rant and troll elsewhere to someone else, there is no perfect country or government- if there was I'm sure you would have moved there.

Cat
Old 10-10-2017, 10:55 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=catnthehat;3641076]
Quote:

Go rant and troll elsewhere to someone else, there is no perfect country or government- if there was I'm sure you would have moved there.

Cat
Wow. Can't answer a simple question without getting defensive.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:56 PM

[QUOTE=silverdoctor;3641071]
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post

Which country would you prefer to reside over Canada?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2017, 11:03 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Kristopher10;3641079]
Quote:

Which country would you prefer to reside over Canada?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i'm trying to figure out what went wrong with Canada. We used to be the good guys.

How did we end up being complicit with innocent Canadian citizens being tortured in Syria?

There was a time when sporting a Canadian flag or patch in any country meant you were friendly, not so much anymore. But if people want to feel justified in our own government supporting terrorism - be it direct or indirect, feel free.

What's Canada's role in Syria?
Old 10-11-2017, 07:17 AM

I am glad that I am middle aged, as I don't want to be around after another 50 years of treating criminals like victims, treating citizens like criminals, and throwing money at terrorists, insteat of standing up to terrorism. In 50 years, the citizens will have been taxed into poverty, our rights and freedoms will have been taken away, and Canada will be more like the countries that the refugees are running from, rather than the great country that they used to run to for a better life. The only way to stop this, is for us to elect a government that actually is willing to deal harshly with criminals, that will encourage people to work rather than to discourage them by taxing them to the point where their hard work gains them nothing over those people that don't want to work, and and that will make all Canadians equal under the law.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am glad that I am middle aged, as I don't want to be around after another 50 years of treating criminals like victims, treating citizens like criminals, and throwing money at terrorists, insteat of standing up to terrorism. In 50 years, the citizens will have been taxed into poverty, our rights and freedoms will have been taken away, and Canada will be more like the countries that the refugees are running from, rather than the great country that they used to run to for a better life. The only way to stop this, is for us to elect a government that actually is willing to deal harshly with criminals, that will encourage people to work rather than to discourage them by taxing them to the point where their hard work gains them nothing over those people that don't want to work, and and that will make all Canadians equal under the law.
There is more too it than that.

The west has become too civilized in a sense - and the average citizen is unwilling to mete out proper punishment for criminals. We need some hangmen.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post

The west has become too civilized in a sense - and the average citizen is unwilling to mete out proper punishment for criminals. We need some hangmen.
And many people have become lazy, to where they want t to sit around and collect handouts rather than work. And increasing taxes on the people willing to work, just encourages more people not to work. And giving handouts or privileges to one race or religion or province, just leads to other races, religions or provinces wanting special handouts or privileges of their own. And rewarding terrorists and criminals just encourages more people to participate in terrorism or criminal activities.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
Why doesn't the NFA try to change jeans mind instead of just turning voters against him? Jean has the best chance of being premier. Let's not squander it. We can't lose the best election.

I think many would disagree with you there.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted Intuitive View Post
Which political party was in power during the High River Gun Grab and supported the 'gun grab'?

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/12/06...f-civil-rights

I think it is better that the truth be spoken now.

That had nothing to do with provincial politics or Provincial Government direction or policy. RCMP acted on their own policy that is formed from the Federal Government. It is bad policy, and wrong. I think that policy has been corrected now.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Why would my attitude matter? i'm not in government, I'm not after your firearms - and I don't vote. I'm like the enemy to you and that's typical. If you don't own a firearm, then you have no skin in the game and are basically the enemy.

And my attitude is the problem?

The majority of Canada has no problem with firearms ownership. Unfortunately, you're getting beaten by the minority.

You should really take your rights seriously and vote. My option is no vote, no ‘right’ to complain.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
That's so depressing.

And you echo my concerns as well.

I can totally see where Silver is coming from, too - On one hand, I'm so glad I have the ability to cast a vote, but, on top of the lack of good choices we have, it's so disheartening to see the results decided before our western polls close.

Every election I hope things would change for the better - but here's the thing - my version of "better" would not coincide with what a lot of other Canadians would consider "better" - including many of my brothers and sisters on this forum. But these are things we have to work through as a society.

In the meantime, what I'm trying to do to make this a better place is to instill constructive values in my kids: work ethic, morals, compassion, politeness, grit, etc. Oh, and hunting and fishing. Lots of hunting and fishing.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
You should really take your rights seriously and vote. My option is no vote, no ‘right’ to complain.
He voted once in his 46 years of life and that was as a young adult and he remembers a Canada that was better.

"I'm 46 years old, and this isn't the Canada I remember."

Hasn't voted since then and he blames everyone but himself?

He just has not accepted not getting his way and has checked out except to rant and complain.

Lots of complaint but no real participation.

He simply did not even try.

That is his right and that is the only thing I agree with!
Old 10-11-2017, 08:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
He voted once in his 46 years of life and that was as a young adult and he remembers a Canada that was better.

"I'm 46 years old, and this isn't the Canada I remember."

Hasn't voted since then and he blames everyone but himself?

He just has not accepted not getting his way and has checked out except to rant and complain.

Lots of complaint but no real participation.

He simply did not even try.

That is his right and that is the only thing I agree with!
Do you realize that by not voting due to lack of qualified candidates, you are still making your choice clear?

Democracy should not be about choosing the lesser evil.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:

History has been made - we agree on a point !!!!!!

Despite our progress as a society where we are more accepting, tolerant, inclusive and understanding of different cultures, sexual orientations, religions, whatever (which I think is great) .... we have become, as a by-product, a "soft" on criminals and other groups who need to be dealt with accordingly.

Society has began to make excuses for the "poor criminal" blaming his parenting or upbringing, or perhaps too tolerant with groups that would serve to damage our country and our liberty.

We allow hate groups, radical ideologies, etc.. to "express themselves" yet are too cautious not to offend their rights to free speech instead of firmly denouncing them and showing them the exit door to our country.

I do agree we have become soft.

The negative influences on society (as mentioned above) should be dealt with in a assertive, punitive and effective manner that it serves as not only as a "clean up" of the trash we have but as a "effective deterrent" to those that would follow in those steps ( criminals or radicals ).

We have no room and no time to be soft on this in Canada.

Unfortunately, because (the west) has become "soft" on effectively dealing with these issues - it has, unfortunately, made more people seem intolerant, hard lined, paranoid and perhaps even prejudiced which serves us nothing of value as a country.

We need tolerance and acceptance but we need to be tough and decisive as well.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Do you realize that by not voting due to lack of qualified candidates, you are still making your choice clear?

I do think that not voting is a choice that one can make.

I do not think that making that choice will transmit a clear message of anything and especially the quality of candidates.

The reason many do not vote is apathy. I can not see how not doing anything one can expect anything?

Anyway my bottom line is I have no problem with what Brain Jean said and I wonder the motive for making a big deal of it.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:30 AM
Banned

I love discussions like this. people thump their chest cause they did their duty and went out to vote for 1 idiot or the other - then feel they have the right to complain for the next 4 years.

People think we are free in Canada? Define freedom for me, please. What makes you free?

Covey, you and I are old enough to remember real privacy and anonymity. Close the drapes, take the phone off the hook and the world outside the home didn't exist. That doesn't exist anymore. We, the citizens of Canada have made sure of that - and allowed it to happen. You call me apathetic? We're in the era of smart phones and ignorant people, and it's not just the young generations. People are not informed anymore, that's what truly saddens me. Everyone is worried about their own little spot in the world, heck with everyone else - until it affects you directly.

Do you own your home and property? Do you own your vehicle? Do you own the technology that surrounds you and rips your life apart? Think about that. You own your firearms, but need a permit to possess them.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:

Yet it almost always is. Witness how most voters felt about the last US Presidential election. A whole lot of nose holding going on in the ballot booth on the part of both Dems and Republicans.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Covey, you and I are old enough to remember real privacy and anonymity. Close the drapes, take the phone off the hook and the world outside the home didn't exist. That doesn't exist anymore. We, the citizens of Canada have made sure of that - and allowed it to happen. You call me apathetic? We're in the era of smart phones and ignorant people, and it's not just the young generations. People are not informed anymore, that's what truly saddens me. Everyone is worried about their own little spot in the world, heck with everyone else - until it affects you directly.
I never called you apathetic. I said "The reason many do not vote is apathy."

I do remember a time when certain things were more private, but I never really believed in anonymity, We as citizens may have allowed certain things to happen. Some of those things happened because some of us just rolled over. I think the difference between us is that that even though I often thought my choice was the lessor of two evils, I did make the choice of the lessor evil and put up a resistance. If you think you have lost certain rights maybe you should have fought harder for them?

You are the researcher! You have identified what you think is a problem with our society? Has your research given you an idea how to fix the problem other than to declare that we are really not free and there is no point even trying?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Do you own the technology that surrounds you and rips your life apart? Think about that. You own your firearms, but need a permit to possess them.
What is the technology that rips your/my life apart? How does it do that? How do you do research? Do you use technology? If you use that technology, why do you trust it?

With respect to this thread, what has your research revealed is a way out of this sorry state you think we are in?

Last edited by covey ridge; 10-11-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
I never called you apathetic. I said "The reason many do not vote is apathy."

I do remember a time when certain things were more private, but I never really believed in anonymity, We as citizens may have allowed certain things to happen. Some of those things happened because some of us just rolled over. I think the difference between us is that that even though I often thought my choice was the lessor of two evils, I did make the choice of the lessor evil and put up a resistance. If you think you have lost certain rights maybe you should have fought harder for them?

You are the researcher! You have identified what you think is a problem with our society? Has your research given you an idea how to fix the problem other than to declare that we are really not free and there is no point even trying?
Anonymity, lets discuss that for a moment.

Let's say i have a hundred grand in cash in my arse pocket - and i want to disappear for a while, you'd be hard pressed to find me. Just another face in the crowd. Get rid of all technology, jump in the car, drive anywhere in Canada, pay cash for everything.

The minute I pull out the debit or credit card, someone somewhere knows precisely where I am, what I bought and when I bought it. Lots of people don't carry cash anymore, they pay with a swipe of their card, they pay with their phone apps cause it's more convenient.

Sell anything in the name of convenience or safety, and people lap it up.

We are headed for a cashless society my friend, and we've been groomed for this since the 90's. What do you think will happen when cash doesn't exist? Cash is the last bit of privacy and anonymity we have - and cashless will be checkmate.

Sound a little tin foil hat? If you don't believe it, read up on it. There are many countries pushing it hard, Australia, Sweden etc. Canada is almost there.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
What is the technology that rips your/my life apart? How does it do that? How do you do research? Do you use technology? If you use that technology, why do you trust it?

With respect to this thread, what has your research revealed is a way out of this sorry state you think we are in?
I guess you don't know what an end user license agreement is do you, let alone read one.

Internet of things my friend, look it up.

I use technology yes, but i know how to control it. I don't have smart anything in my home and I won't. My android phone is the big concern, and I'm able to control alot of that.

Smart grid has interconnected all homes that have the new meters. Wait until all cars are interconnected and part of the IOT. IPV6 networking. The list goes on and on.

You're calling me tinfoil because you don't understand it.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:

But unfortunately, these days it often comes down to choosing the lesser evil. We have seen first hand how bad a protest vote can be for us.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I guess you don't know what an end user license agreement is do you, let alone read one.

Internet of things my friend, look it up.

I use technology yes, but i know how to control it. I don't have smart anything in my home and I won't. My android phone is the big concern, and I'm able to control alot of that.

Smart grid has interconnected all homes that have the new meters. Wait until all cars are interconnected and part of the IOT. IPV6 networking. The list goes on and on.

You're calling me tinfoil because you don't understand it.
I ask again? What is ripping my life apart? and how? Give me one example of what I should be concerned about.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Let's say i have a hundred grand in cash in my arse pocket - and i want to disappear for a while, you'd be hard pressed to find me. Just another face in the crowd. Get rid of all technology, jump in the car, drive anywhere in Canada, pay cash for everything.

The minute I pull out the debit or credit card, someone somewhere knows precisely where I am, what I bought and when I bought it. Lots of people don't carry cash anymore, they pay with a swipe of their card, they pay with their phone apps cause it's more convenient.

We are headed for a cashless society my friend, and we've been groomed for this since the 90's. What do you think will happen when cash doesn't exist? Cash is the last bit of privacy and anonymity we have - and cashless will be checkmate.

Sound a little tin foil hat? If you don't believe it, read up on it. There are many countries pushing it hard, Australia, Sweden etc. Canada is almost there.
You are correct, any transaction you make with your credit/debit card does, in fact, put you at a location, at a time and can describe what you have purchased.

This morning I stopped at Starbucks to get a coffee at 6:03am, drove a block or two westbound and filled up the truck with gas approximately 5 minutes later. I went to work. The security cameras and my security FOB will record when I leave or exit my place of work. I will likely use my debit card to grab some lunch here in a couple hours and maybe stop at the grocery store, dry cleaners before I get home. The government knows, and will know all of this information if they care to.

What I'm saying is, unless you are up to some illegal or nefarious activity - your life is the same as mine ....... routine ..... uninteresting ...... and I'd wager nobody in the government gives a rats behind.

As a matter of fact, I have my cell phone with me, and if they wanted to, they can probably track my precise location at anytime and find me. Like right now ... I'm at my desk and on the forum, when I should be working or doing something else .....

The bottom line is, yes, technology is intrusive - but that doesn't make it's intent (or anyone's intent) nefarious or controlling.

I sincerely hope you don't feel so "watched" and "controlled" that you begin to drive yourself crazy. It's where we are as a society. It is what it is.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:

Yep! You use your card and they got you! Book on a forum like this and they got you!

You come across as thinking you have some type of mystical knowledge that only you know how to control.

I could search all the crap that you say but then they would know I did the search and why would I want them to know anything
Old 10-11-2017, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
I ask again? What is ripping my life apart? and how? Give me one example of what I should be concerned about.
Let's look at one minute fraction of IOT Covey. This may not apply to you.

Internet cameras, cheap and easy to install. Go to your local computer store and they can be had for cheap. Do you realize how many people don't know to change the "default" password on these IOT devices? These cameras leak to the internet, and if you know how to search, easily found. Ever hear of baby monitors being "hacked"? They aren't being hacked, they are made very easy to access.

Go to http://www.insecam.org and you can watch thousands and thousands of live personal private cameras that people have installed inside and outside of their homes, and these folks have no clue. Insecam has filtered out most of the ones that are in peoples bedrooms and such.

But how does it affect you? Do you do online banking at all? Do you have to log in - or did you save your password so it automatically logs in? These passwords are easily exposed.

Do you even know if you have a virus on your computer? or do you trust antivirus 100%? Do you have any understanding of how hackers can gain access to your bank accounts through viruses or simple man in the middle attacks? Likely not. These are minute examples my friend.

There's a reason identity theft is so easy. Compromised credit and bank cards, many on this forum have been affected by it and have no clue how it happened.

But, now we're really off track. Start a new thread if you wish to discuss further - I have to go to work.

Last edited by silverdoctor; 10-11-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I'm not going to comment on the rest. I haven't voted since I was 18, and have no political association, PC, NDP or Liberal. Every one of them is out for themselves, not you. Been ripped a new arse from many cause I don't get out and vote - "you don't have the right to complain!". What a laugh.

But when the only choice you have in this country is to pick one arsehole or the other to vote for - and then thump your chest over it. Sorry, but that's pretty sad.
Feel free to pick another country then! Nothing like sitting back and complaining about this one, which I see its quite common in most if not all your posts.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.