Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2017, 12:41 PM

Default Best way to store potatoes An carrots

Have to pull the rest of the potatoes An carrots out.like to keep the carrots as long as I can!whats the best methods!!only cold storage I have is my garage.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:56 PM

put them in 5 gallon pails with sand. make sure they are not touching and layer them. Keep for months.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:02 PM

We used to keep both in a cellar with fridge temps automatically controlled, with carrots stored in boxes with sand. They do survive until spring, but I honestly think stores do a better job of keeping them fresh though.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:42 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwade View Post
put them in 5 gallon pails with sand. make sure they are not touching and layer them. Keep for months.
They stay a little fresher if you put a damp, not wet, sponge on the top of the sand and cover the pail/tub/box loosly.
Keep then as close to 40f/5c as you can.

You want to, as close as possible, duplicate the conditions underground.

In the old days root cellars did this because they had dirt floors, (no flooring), they were underground, and walled with timbers.

In Holland they store potatoes by piling them in the garden and covering them with soil. They have a warmer climate, it doesn't freeze hard there.

It would work here if we could dig them up when we want to but here it freezes too hard.

One fall we didn't get all the potatoes in uncles garden. When we rototilled in the spring we kept turning up potatoes the looked fresh. So we tasted one, it was as good as it was in the fall so we collected all we could and feasted for weeks.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-13-2017, 10:07 PM

Cant help with Potatoes but our carrots will keeps for reasonable length of time in a jar with pickling fluids.

Unfortunately they don't keep long due to tasting so darn good
Old 10-13-2017, 10:34 PM

I am told if you have a small patch leave them in the ground and you can layer on some staw/bails and they keep well into winter just in the ground. When ready lift bail and pull (carrots etc). I have never done it but old timer on my rig used to show up mid winter with fresh garden carrots all the time...