Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2017, 04:33 PM

Default Power engineering job application advice

Hi,

I know this is not the power engineering forum but understand there are a lot of power engineers on here and was looking for some advice on job applications spefifically things to mention/not mention. I also understand there is a ton of competition for jobs right now.

Currently my main qualifications that i have been listing (in no particular order/grouping) are:

-Completion of ABSA 4th class power engineering examinations
-4 years drilling rig experience (operation of boiler, diesel engines, pumps etc.)
-2 years quality experience in construction of piping to ASME B31.3/CSA Z662
-Mechanical Engineering degree
-confined space, fall arrest, h2s, first aid

Basically what I'm asking is if anything im listing might hurt my application (eg degree or rig experience) or if there are any other qualifications or training i should obtain in order to make myself a better applicant.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:42 PM

They may get jealous that you are a real engineer. Remove the degree and say you like diesel trucks or marathon sessions in front of a Kodi box.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:29 PM

I also do not have any practical advice to offer, however I am curious as to why you're trying to get a job in the extremely saturated PE job market when you have a degree in MecE? I know all areas of engineering can be tough to find a solid career starting point, but I would think you would have much more success finding a job relating to your mechanical engineering degree rather than competing for a PE gig against 5,000 other guys who all probably barely scraped through the 4th class PE exam.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
I also do not have any practical advice to offer, however I am curious as to why you're trying to get a job in the extremely saturated PE job market when you have a degree in MecE? I know all areas of engineering can be tough to find a solid career starting point, but I would think you would have much more success finding a job relating to your mechanical engineering degree rather than competing for a PE gig against 5,000 other guys who all probably barely scraped through the 4th class PE exam.
Engineering is quite saturated as well, i think have sent out around 150 applications a year for the last three years and had two offers, both of which
I had to take. Basically this just opens another door for me and after talking with a few of my PE friends I think I would really enjoy the work as I am really hands on and enjoy working with large industrial equipment. As far as the "down time" part of it, I think it would be perfect opportunity to work on perhaps smaller engineering projects or learn things I have always wanted to learn (programming languages etc.). So all around, a suitable choice for me.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C1234 View Post
Engineering is quite saturated as well, i think have sent out around 150 applications a year for the last three years and had two offers, both of which
I had to take. Basically this just opens another door for me and after talking with a few of my PE friends I think I would really enjoy the work as I am really hands on and enjoy working with large industrial equipment. As far as the "down time" part of it, I think it would be perfect opportunity to work on perhaps smaller engineering projects or learn things I have always wanted to learn (programming languages etc.). So all around, a suitable choice for me.
I would look at programming Plc or deltav. Much more rewarding.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C1234 View Post
You only have 8 years from finishing your degree to obtaining P. Eng status. APEGA can grant an extension, but typically will only do so if you are working towards professional status. If you are employed as a power engineer, you might get some credit, but it could be complicated.

My suggestion is to keep trying to get an engineering job. You likely need to employ a professional to rewrite your resume and cover letter. Engineering is far from being saturated.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Mechanical engineering and other experience and can't land a job?
Jeepers there is something not right, he'll the military would gladly have you or companies not located in Alberta so you got to be willing to travel, relocate etc.

I know a lad that was out of work for one month with your credentials got hired on by a mining company...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-15-2017, 08:14 AM

If you have a mechanical engineering degree, ABSA should have given you credit for more than just your 4th. I took a steam lab 3 yrs ago and a fella in the classs was a mechanical engineer, he got credit up to half his second, but had to do steam time. Something to look into.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:30 PM

Maybe emphasize you want to be at a place for awhile or mechanical aptitude. It takes awhile to get a plant operator trained and mechanical aptitude is a bit lacking at times so it is benefical to hire mechanically inclined individuals.

I think work ethic, mechanical aptitude and longevity desire are the best to go for. You want some one who works and will stick around while doing beneficial things mechanically.