Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-08-2011, 12:44 AM

Default New spinning gear suggestions?

Well, I figured that its about time to update my rod and reel. I seem to have more need of a spare setup for others lately so its a pefect excuse.

My old gear is a 7' med Berkly Powepole that Ive had for almost as long as I can remember with a Shimano Sonora reel.

I usualy fish from shore sink and sit style and occasionaly do a bit of river fishing.

My budget is up to $250 for rod and reel, something that I will enjoy and will last a while.

I ask for help because all the "Our producst are best" and people trying to sell you more than you need is really

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:23 AM

With the budget you have in mind you've got a lot of options. What species do you mainly fish for?

If you're mainly shore fishing I'd go with a slightly longer rod - at least 7' long so you get a little extra casting distance. If you're going after bigger fish (sturgeon, big pike etc) go with a heavier rod, either a good stiff Medium action or medium heavy. Check out the Shimano Voltaeus rods.

As for the reel, again you've got plenty of options. I have a brand preference towards Shimano, so if it were me I'd be looking at a Sahara or Symetre.

Let us know a little more about the fishing you intend to do with the setup and I'm sure you'll get plenty more opinions

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 05-08-2011, 11:35 AM

Mainly just trout in the lakes and rivers in the Grande Cache area. Nothing that big.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:08 PM

Pick yourself up a Fenwick Walleye Class rod , in a 7 ft or 6 .5 I think they have them in , in a medium light . And match that up with a Shimano Stradic , in the 2500 model that's geared to 6:0:1 , bearings , very nice reel . That would be an awesome set up . For around 250 bucks .
Old 05-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
Mainly just trout in the lakes and rivers in the Grande Cache area. Nothing that big.
I've become pretty partial to the Diawa BG and SS reels in the last couple years. If you want all the bells and whistles these probably arent your reels, if you want a reel that might outlast you at a realy decent price then these are a good option.

Depending on how you fish I would go with a light to medium action rod from 6-7 feet long for trout in lakes. I've owned Shakespear, Shimano, and Berkley rods that I realy liked. After breaking two on a trip to NWT last year under normal use I've started using Uglystick Lite rods, not as light or as sensitive as my old rods but they git er done.

My weapon of choice these days is a Daiwa BG mounted on an Uglystick Lite, at about $130 this is deffinatly not the most expencive rig I've owned but probably the most dependable.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
Well, I figured that its about time to update my rod and reel. I seem to have more need of a spare setup for others lately so its a pefect excuse.

My old gear is a 7' med Berkly Powepole that Ive had for almost as long as I can remember with a Shimano Sonora reel.

I usualy fish from shore sink and sit style and occasionaly do a bit of river fishing.

My budget is up to $250 for rod and reel, something that I will enjoy and will last a while.

I ask for help because all the "Our producst are best" and people trying to sell you more than you need is really

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Based on your style of fishing, I wouldn't spend a whole lot of money on a new rod and reel and unless you simply want to, because you probably won't notice much difference. The big advantages of a $250 rod/reel combo are sensitivity and light weight, and neither one of those things is a factor in still fishing from shore. You will see the difference when casting though.

If you do want to upgrade, and I can understand, look at the Shimano Compre rods and the Symetre reels, that should put you right around $250 and be a great combo that will last you a long time. There's lots of options out there though in that price range, shop around and see what you like best, it's hard to go wrong. Either way, I'd recommend a pretty standard 7' medium action, fast tip rod, and a 2500 size reel.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:04 AM

I agree with the guy that suggested the shimano stradic reel. They are awesome. Instead of the voltaeus rod though, go with a shimano compre or clarus. They are some of the top in the shimano line and are awesome rods. Depending on what length your are wanting, will determine the price of the rod. I have a compre in 7"0" Medium light and love it. it is perfect for trout and sensitive for those walleye. I know WSS has them for 109.99, and apparently there is a $20 mail in rebate on them through shimano. If you didnt like those, id suggest a St. Croix. Even the triumph which is their entry level which runs for 72, is a sweet little rod. I have that one also in a 7 ft ML... cant go wrong with any of those three rod choices, especially for trout and such.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:33 PM

Thanks for all the replies and sugestions. Now I have some research to do
Old 05-09-2011, 03:21 PM

If you are mostly bait fishing I would say go with one of the okuma baitfeeder series. I have a couple and love them. If your not familier with them they have a double drag system. set your main front drag and then once you are cast out and set flip the baitfeeder bar at the back and set your second drag at the rear which has little to no resistance so if the fish picks up the bait and runs it will feel nothing. You flip the bar back or reel about half a turn and it clicks off automaticly and you set the hook. Best part is if a fish hits aggresively, or if you get distracted, the rod doesn't move and the drag going out gets your attention.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:20 PM

If you want a very reliable and great performing setup for well under $250.00,
I would recomend a berkely lighting IM6 rod and a Pfluger president reel. I have had both my Pfluger reel and lightning rod for 6 years with heavy use and they have had no mechanical defects so far. That setup has reeled in many "averge sized" walleye to pike over 14lbs. The Pflugers are very smooth and have the looks of a top end reel IMO. The Pflugers also have instant anti reverse for better jigging and easier and more solid hooksets. As for the lightning rods, they seem to be great for casting trolling and bottom bouncing. The lightning rods matched with braided line are so sensative that even fingerling trout can be felt biting a big spoon on 14lb test.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:17 PM

Shimano Stradic reel and Shimano Compre rod. You wont be able to get the CI4, but the older Stradic and Compre are probably the best gear you will get in that budget IMO
Old 05-09-2011, 09:29 PM

ugly stick and a shimano stratic
Old 05-09-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stc77 View Post
I agree with the guy that suggested the shimano stradic reel. They are awesome. Instead of the voltaeus rod though, go with a shimano compre or clarus. They are some of the top in the shimano line and are awesome rods. Depending on what length your are wanting, will determine the price of the rod. I have a compre in 7"0" Medium light and love it. it is perfect for trout and sensitive for those walleye. I know WSS has them for 109.99, and apparently there is a $20 mail in rebate on them through shimano. If you didnt like those, id suggest a St. Croix. Even the triumph which is their entry level which runs for 72, is a sweet little rod. I have that one also in a 7 ft ML... cant go wrong with any of those three rod choices, especially for trout and such.
Yeah, now that I know it's more for troutin' I'd also say turf the Voltaeus. I will say that I have a Clarus (8'6" MH/fast) that I use on the NSR and it's definitely one of my favorite rods to use

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 05-09-2011, 10:42 PM

Pflueger are very nice reels, very smooth. You may even find some of them are a tad smoother than shimano. You cant go wrong with a pflueger reel... but in the long run, the shimano will last longer than a pflueger reel, in most cases. But yea either way you will be getting a good setup.