Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-29-2017, 01:49 PM

Default North Sask Fall 2017

Hey folks. I do a lot of walking and fish the deeper holes and back eddies. I've been catching on jigs and crank baits, but it seems last fall I caught about 3 times the number as this year. How has your fishing been on the river? Has anyone else found it to be a little bit tougher fishing this fall?
Old 10-29-2017, 02:32 PM

My son and I were out yesterday and fished to of our favorite holes and could only find one small walleye.

We were actually trying for some goldeye...so chucking small spoons and jigs.

We should have had the bait with us too as that may have been more productive this time of year.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:11 PM

Been catching a ton of gold eye on inline spinners north east of city past Fort Saskatchewan , can't keep em off
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (15.6 KB, 108 views)
Old 10-29-2017, 03:51 PM

I have actually found this year to be better than some previous. After that gravel pit spilled a couple years ago things were bad but they've been on the bounce back.

Try changing it up like others have said! Try a bait rig, also try fishing after dark as the activity can really peak during those hours from about 8pm to 12 midnight.

Try throwing big shallow diving jerkbaits across the holes you like fishing during the night. The big walleye use the moonlight to feed on the silhouettes of fish swimming above them and they can hone in on the rattles in your jerkbait, for some reason at night time the big ones like to come out. Sometimes I will spray my raps/jerk baits with minnow scent to just add another element to my presentation.