Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-01-2011, 08:29 PM

Default going to hawaii fishing anyone ever been

Planning a trip to hawaii looking at lots of different charters just wondering if anyone has gone before and has some suggestions
Old 06-01-2011, 08:56 PM

which island?
Old 06-01-2011, 10:58 PM

Would be very interested in the feedback, heading to Maui for Christmas, staying near Lahaina..
Old 06-01-2011, 11:00 PM

Search "Maui Fishing" here, you will find some threads on the topic.

Lefty
Old 06-01-2011, 11:40 PM

Thanks Lefty, lots of good info found on the search...
Old 06-01-2011, 11:47 PM

sorry I have only been to Oahu ... good luck though - take lot's of pics
Old 06-01-2011, 11:48 PM

Lahaina actually has a harbor where you'll find about 5 or 6 different charters all lined up to choose from....booths manned with sales jockeys that you can deal with and set up times and hammer out prices. Most of the charters are pretty much the equivalent, use same equipment, fish the same areas and share info on where the bites are, so i can't really say one is better than the next. I only caught one mahi mahi, (durado), but they are a super fish to eat!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030899.jpg (72.0 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by finsnfeathers; 06-01-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:53 PM

One thing....be aware of the charters that start super early and include "bait fish" gathering. That time spent in the wee hours counts towards your total fishing time. They typically leave in the dark and get you home well before noon. Reason being where they go is WAAAAAY off-shore and its easier to get there in the calm night ocean, the wind tends to pick up there throughout the day and the trip back can be very "adventurous" Make sure to take some anti-nausea stuff.....but get the least drowsy you can find. I took some of that stuff and it wiped me out completely....

Lefty
Old 06-02-2011, 12:34 PM

Default Nothing better than deep sea fishing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
One thing....be aware of the charters that start super early and include "bait fish" gathering. That time spent in the wee hours counts towards your total fishing time. They typically leave in the dark and get you home well before noon. Reason being where they go is WAAAAAY off-shore and its easier to get there in the calm night ocean, the wind tends to pick up there throughout the day and the trip back can be very "adventurous" Make sure to take some anti-nausea stuff.....but get the least drowsy you can find. I took some of that stuff and it wiped me out completely....

Lefty
Good call lefty, when I was out there we were in 30 ft swells, didn't bother me to much, but my old man and cousin we yaking to the whole way back.

We went on a tour where the boat keeps most of the fish to sell, which makes the charter a lot cheaper. We still kept two 20 lb tuna, which made for literally the best meal of my life, the hotel cooked it up for us. We were out from 5 am to about 5pm so it was a long day.

Never managed to hook into a marlin but did managed to hook a 150 lb Galapogos Shark while fishing for tuna, hell of a fight, 1.5 hrs to bring in! He nailed a small tuna I was reeling in and got hooked. Best day ever.

The charter also took us to a shark diving site and threw some chum in so we could watch them circle. Found out that night that at that exact spot earlier in the day they were diving and a 16 ft great white came by! We also got to see some humpback whales.

All in all a hell of of trip, you're gonna have a blast!
Old 06-02-2011, 01:12 PM

Smile Maui

Feathers X's2. There are 2 harbours that I know of on the South side, the one near the park is the largest and closest to where they fish. I'd negotiate with the boys on the dock, so you don't have to pay the agent in L.A. a fee. We went with "Start me up" and they were very nice, we has 2 boats (a wedding party) and the water was ROUGH, it it hadn't have been for the Bomine I would not have made it.

Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Ohau was bottom fishing for 6 inch fish broad side to a running sea and all the sports were sick, me too. I don't recommend that on at all.

Have fun and buy those orange pills as soon as the plane lands.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:18 PM

good stuff thanks for the response will look for that harbour in lahaina as i think we will be going to maui. will be taking lots of pics will post when get back hopefully with some big ones!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:36 PM

If you search you will find a thread where the real Canadianeh posted a tip about who to see in Lahaina harbour.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:26 PM

Lefty and I were both in Maui in April, do a search and you will find our thread with photo's. I highly recommend fishing with Capt. Fuzzy Alboro aboard the Diehard (Lahaina).
Old 06-03-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly Bugger View Post
Lefty and I were both in Maui in April, do a search and you will find our thread with photo's. I highly recommend fishing with Capt. Fuzzy Alboro aboard the Diehard (Lahaina).
Just missed you, i was there in march, during the tsunami scare/panic!