Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-01-2018, 11:32 PM

Default Family Heirlooms

I was at my Dad's tonight for dinner and a late exchange of Christmas gifts was on the agenda due to family visit logistics last week. I was quite taken aback and drawn to tears by his gifting of my Great Grandfathers gold pocket watch to me. I had always admired it but was not looking forward to receiving it as I thought it would only be after my Fathers passing. I have mentioned my Great Grandfather on the forum previously, typically on Remembrance Day posts as he served in WWI with the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders out of Winnipeg. I had spent some time with my Great Grandpa as a youngster before his passing though due to my young age at the time I don't recall a lot of details of our time spent together. He was particularly close with my Dad, perhaps that is why my Dad received it instead of one of his own sons (my Dad was his daughters son). My middle name is in honor of Great-Grandpa Alexander and I'm humbled by being passed on his Masonic pocket watch. I thought some among you might like to see it, particularly those among you who are Masons. He is seated at left in the first photo. The watch still works perfectly.

I thought it might be a neat thread idea for people to share family keepsakes that mean a lot to them, whether or not they have an intrinsic value outside of their sentimental value. Something whittled out of a branch by someone you loved might well be priceless to you. Lets see your keepsakes and hear the stories behind them.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 01-02-2018 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:47 PM

things like that are better received from a warm hand than a cold one....very special, thanks for sharing
Old 01-02-2018, 12:02 AM

Default family heirlooms

Vintage timepieces are treasures, but more so when you know the story behind them.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:10 AM
Banned

Very nice timepiece, was never really all that close to my dad, he is very old school, just turned 79 the other day, three of my grandparents were gone when I was still a child, and my granny lasted until I was 21, I regret not getting to know them better, you are fortunate to have known your father and grandfathers and to have something like that watch to remember them by. Take care of it, thieves of today have no respect for heirlooms like that.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:19 AM

Beautiful story CaberTosser, thanks for sharing it.

May I offer a couple suggestions? I would try and find someone trustworthy who can service/inspect the movement in that Omega pocket watch before you wind it up too many times. And an appraisal on value for insurance purposes wouldn't hurt either. Some of those vintage pocket watches can be very valuable.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:28 AM

My paternal grandfather died in 1918 of the Spanish Flu when my Dad was 2 yrs old. In 1978 my Dad gave me his Dad's pocket watch when it was stylish to wear one with a vest. it is a Waltham and was made in 1908. It still works and I wore it on New Years Eve. I still wear it on occasion when wearing a vest.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:53 AM
Banned

Cool story and timepiece. I've always been drawn to pocket watches. I really like the way it's displayed.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:06 AM

Really happy that you got something passed on to you that is so special. Those old Swiss timepieces just keep on going. Doesn't hurt to take them in and get them cleaned and oiled occasionally too....

I have a couple of family heirlooms, that probably fall into the 'whittled stick' category almost. When my Oma (grandmother) passed away, my aunt had given each of the grandkids something as a keepsake. She knew my wife and I had been making our own sauer kraut (hey! we're Germans!), and so she out of the blue gave us Oma's old stoneware 'kraut pot' and her kraut slicing board that my Opa apparently made her about 80 years ago. The board is simplicity itself, 3 blades offset at an angle, with the board cut out behind it, and low rails on the board itself. You just take your head of lettuce and pass it over the blades and voila! you have the makings for kraut, three slices at a pass.

We actually don't use it at this point, it's pretty ancient and not in the best shape, but I remember sitting and watching my Oma making kraut as a little boy, and I sure do remember eating her kraut. I miss Oma most days.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-02-2018, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the suggestions Armorman, though my Dad had the appraisal aspect covered already, and I would imagine he had the movement inspected as well but I will verify it with him. I've not seen the appraisal but I'm sure he'll have it on file. Of course that will have the pertinent information although the dollar firgures in it will be 25-35 years old. The dollar value is not an issue anyways as this will never be sold, I'd eat from a dumpster long before parting with it if things ever became that financially desparate. It's been hanging on that little display on my Dads roll top desk since at least the early 1980's as I've taken it out on occasion to look at ever since my teens. The display also has a glass dome that we removed in order to photograph it, the dome sits around the base where we have the chain encircling it so it's more tucked in when the dome is in place. I'm curious what the yellow gemstone at the end of the chain is made of as there seem to be a few possibilities when checking Google, though that's probably already known to my Dad / in the appraisal. My wife certainly has greater knowledge of those things; heck, I didn't even know what color Topaz was until last night... And perhaps I still don't as maybe it comes in more than one color?

After WWI Great Grandpa worked as an electrician and building operator for the main Royal Bank building in Winnipeg through until his retirement, he was in his late 20's during the war itself so he might well have already been an electrician at the wars outset. In his memoirs there are references to his having helped a local man install a dynamo to power the mans home in Scotland when he was a young boy. That experience would have been what set him on his career path as the installation he assisted with was the very first building in his entire village to be electrified.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 01-02-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:44 AM

Thanks for your story about your Oma's sauerkraut board Twisted, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. The ceramic crocks sound neat too, I'm reminded of how some families most prized possessions were their cast iron cookware and how central such things were to their daily lives before we had all the trappings of convenience that we do today.

I recently got an old set of workshop shelves from my uncles garden shed that look rather junky but mean a bunch to me as they're made of repurposed plywood signs that advertised the construction company that my Grandpa and his two brothers operated. They have wheels and a frame made of 1" steel pipe and pipe fittings but it's the signboard shelves that caught my eye when cleaning up my late uncles estate last summer. As they were cut down to size for the shelves one can't read their full content but it was from back when signs were hand-painted and our family name is visible on them. I can even see the addresses for two display homes they built in Winnipeg probably in the 1950's. I think I'm going to hang up those plywood sign portions somewhere yet to be determined.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:10 AM

Great thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
The board is simplicity itself, 3 blades offset at an angle, with the board cut out behind it, and low rails on the board itself. You just take your head of lettuce and pass it over the blades and voila! you have the makings for kraut, three slices at a pass.
That's really awesome, TC! Do you have pictures of the board that you could post on here?

I have a few things that were passed down... A wedding ring from my grandfather, an antique zither from my mom, some award pins from my father's teen years. Small things that are special in the sense that they tell a piece of a person's history, and ultimately part of my story.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:11 AM

I don't have a photo and it would look very poor against an omega watch but my grandma gave me her "pudding pot." Every family get together grand ma would make a "spotted dog," a very traditional English steamed pudding. I loved them and got her to show me how to do it. On one visit she said "here this is for you" and I was thrilled to have her pot. Every time I visited thereafter I'd bring the pot and we'd make spotted dog together. Grandma is long gone but her pot isn't and there's always a lump of real suet in my freezer for when I get the urge.

Now I have two daughters and they're both clambering over this simple aluminum pot. I stop into the good will stores and valu villages on a fairly regular basis. Hit the cooking section and leave...maybe some day I can find a second pot like that and they can each have one.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Thanks for your story about your Oma's sauerkraut board Twisted, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. The ceramic crocks sound neat too, I'm reminded of how some families most prized possessions were their cast iron cookware and how central such things were to their daily lives before we had all the trappings of convenience that we do today.

I recently got an old set of workshop shelves from my uncles garden shed that look rather junky but mean a bunch to me as they're made of repurposed plywood signs that advertised the construction company that my Grandpa and his two brothers operated. They have wheels and a frame made of 1" steel pipe and pipe fittings but it's the signboard shelves that caught my eye when cleaning up my late uncles estate last summer. As they were cut down to size for the shelves one can't read their full content but it was from back when signs were hand-painted and our family name is visible on them. I can even see the addresses for two display homes they built in Winnipeg probably in the 1950's. I think I'm going to hang up those plywood sign portions somewhere yet to be determined.
If you want to find out when it was made," unscrew" not pry, the back and inside will be a serial #. Google the company and it should have a list of years made by serial #. same as finding the year of an old rifle.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Great thread!

That's really awesome, TC! Do you have pictures of the board that you could post on here?
I can and will....pretty simple but actually quite well made, looking at it we could still use it but actually haven't made our own kraut in a while. I noticed in my initial post I talked about slicing 'lettuce'...that's how long it's been, apparently I don't know the difference between cabbage and lettuce even !

Also a picture of the crock, my wife has been using it to store her dried flowers in (yes, I still get her flowers sometimes even!)....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180102_104923.jpg (48.8 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180102_104938.jpg (39.0 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180102_105001.jpg (31.1 KB, 122 views)

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-02-2018, 11:10 AM

Awesome thread Caber.

I only really have 2 things, a broken old Railroad compass my Grampa gave to me when I was about 7, and my Dad's pocket watch. It's not gold, but is a nice old piece.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-02-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I can and will....pretty simple but actually quite well made, looking at it we could still use it but actually haven't made our own kraut in a while. I noticed in my initial post I talked about slicing 'lettuce'...that's how long it's been, apparently I don't know the difference between cabbage and lettuce even !

Also a picture of the crock, my wife has been using it to store her dried flowers in (yes, I still get her flowers sometimes even!)....

Those are so cool!

Would make a fun project to build. I love Sauerkraut.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:

I like that slaw-slayer TC, it looks like a bigger mandoline. Its nicely built, I'd not hesitate one iota to use such a rig. One should be able to pop out those blades for a sharpening quite easily too.

Mrs Caber cut herself a few years back while using a mandoline at someone else's home, it was rather deep and to the point that she needed a few stitches. This Christmas her stocking included a cut-resistant glove but I didn't grab the mandoline that was going to accompany it . She would glare at me in stores whenever I would point out "Hey, that's a real nice looking mandoline!"
Old 01-02-2018, 11:43 AM

Yes, those blades do come out pretty easily, and they sharpen up nicely with a wet stone. Done it once about 14 years ago,they were wicked sharp. Apparently my Opa made those blades himself out of a piece of flat steel that he hardened in the old wood stove.

Having that nice cabbage holder 'box' helps a lot too, once you are down to the nubs you just stack another head in there, so the hands don't ever need to get close to the blades. You can't really see it in the pictures, but there is a groove dado'd into the rails, with corresponding rail on the box, so it rides in there nicely. Enough play so it never binds, and you can really giver when slicing. Fill that crock up in about 15 minutes if you are motivated. Edit: pic added.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180102_114748.jpg (41.7 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 01-02-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:09 PM

My youngest Daughter put Dad service picture, medals awarded, and a Picture of HMCS Assiniboine on a story board and had it framed. Many tears and memories!!
Old 01-02-2018, 12:35 PM

Google "vintage cabbage slicer" if you want to know how much it's worth.

"Toe da so" - Ricky, Trailer Park Boys
Old 01-02-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddin View Post
Google "vintage cabbage slicer" if you want to know how much it's worth.
Interesting, still a few around, all the same basic design, some with only one blade. I imagine my Opa saw one in the store, said there was no way in heck he was going to pay $2.59 for something he could make himself, and off he went. Pretty much sums up the Old German mentality. My uncle was also an apprentice cabinet maker at the time, so he probably was commissioned to do some of the wood work. There are no markings on mine anywhere, and on close up you can still see the odd tooling marks. I also noticed he didn't get the blades all perfectly spaced, though they are aligned pretty much perfect, and the angle on the cutting edge is consistent. I would have probably paid the $2.59 (or whatever it was in the day)!

Old 01-02-2018, 01:41 PM

My uncle has my Oma's kraut pot in Calgary, it's mine if I want it. My polish mother in law has one too.

I have my Oma's dinning room table, china cabinet and a smaller version of a china cabinet. I spent most of my life gathered with family in her home at one time or another and when us kids got big enough, we got to sit at that table lol. So my Oma is 102 yrs old, she last sat at her table quite a few years ago at my house but we all still enjoy it every xmas eve, other occasions or the kids did homework/games on it. I will keep them until one of my kids want's them. She was quite happy that I took the pieces and that they stayed in the family when she downsized to a small seniors complex.

My polish in laws had a friend who could build anything from wood. There are a couple pieces he made in their house I hope we can absorb if room allows when the day comes that she passes away( Fil has long passed). They are just too nicely done to toss to the curb.

Last edited by Sooner; 01-02-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
My uncle has my Oma's kraut pot in Calgary, it's mine if I want it. My polish mother in law has one too.
Oh! That reminds me, my grandfather's WW1 beer stein has been bequeathed to me... But I have to come to the Old Country to pick it up personally... Hmmm... Might have to head over there!
Old 01-02-2018, 04:20 PM
Banned

My grandpa's watch. A gold Longines gifted to him by his friends in Belgium after his release as a prisoner of war. My dad passed it on to me. He only wore it on special occasions. I wear it all the time, but I'm careful to not overly wind it. I had a jeweler clean the movement a few years ago. There is no better way to memorize my grandpa then every time I check the time. The jeweler fellow asked me how much I "wanted" for it. To which I replied, "Sir, you can't afford it".

Sorry about the out of focus picture on the back. It reads " Souvenir de Marie Therese et Albert" and has a horseshoe engraved.

BTW Caber, thanks for starting such a great thread. It has me thinking about yet another heirloom which I've received from my mom. It was my great grandfather's oil lamp which he used in the dark tunnels of coal mining. But that's a story for another time and thread.

Last edited by gitrdun; 01-02-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:28 PM

Here is my father's 25 year service watch when he worked for C.I.L.
The red leather case is nor original but correct, I had it restored by a certified Omega jeweler a few years back .
Luckily for my family, we have always been big into heirlooms.
Cat

Old 04-20-2018, 10:46 PM

Bumping this thread. Surely others have cool stuff to share be it more cabbage slicers, Grandpa's old Cooey or fedora, Grandma's weighty tailoring shears from when such tools were built like tanks....
Old 04-20-2018, 11:31 PM

Great thread, not sure how I missed it before.

When my great grandfather passed he left me his rolex (he used to be a jeweler and wore that everyday) but I was more touched that he also left me his pipe bag. It was an old hand sewn bag that my Great Grandma made and had about five pipes in it along with his pipe cleaners, lighters and a few other little things. This meant a lot to me because the smell reminded me of him and I remember always watching the way he meticulously packed and smoked his pipes. That was 16 years ago but every time I open it , the smell brings me back. I want to try them out one day.

My Grandfather on my dads side was never one to show love and the only emotion he seemed to show was when we were moving cattle and you went the wrong way or swung the wrong gate. He was tough as nails and I always looked up to him. During his last years on the farm we spent a lot of time together because I knew he needed help but would never ask for it.
One day after dinner he went to his room and came out with his handkerchief balled up with something in it and handed it to me. He said "This was my dads and I wanted you to have it" when I looked at him he had the kindest most sincere look on his face which i had never seen before. Inside the handkerchief was an old pocket watch. It caught me off guard since there are lots of grand kids and not many heirlooms what really got me was the emotion he showed when he gave it to me, it wasn't much but it made me see he had a soft side in there somewhere.
He passed shortly after that but I will always remember that exchange.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:50 AM
Banned

That a great gift to receive caber. My grandfather was in WWI and WWII my mom got some of his medals from those wars. He had some stories of his time in both wars, there is a lot of history behind those treasures that are passed down. These people fought for our freedom. It’s too bad some of the younger generation is willing to give up some of those freedoms.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:08 AM

Default Heirlooms

I also have the big kraut pot and cabbage slicer, just like the pictures shown. Also a hand carved 2X4 to push down and stir the kraut. I think Dad carved it. Stored for now. Hopefully one of the kids (or Sooner) will use them for a future Rec Room memorabilia corner display.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:59 AM

My grandfather passed in the early 70's and left each kid a old steamer trunk.
In mine was a Swiss Hebdomas Pocket watch and his Navy issued reusable condom that was as thick as a raincoat and was folded in thirds. Wishful thinking perhaps , but you could slip it over the wide end of a baseball bat.

Also a cool old Lusitania Medal.