Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Personally speaking, I have never agreed with moving a Stat like Remembrance day into the work week if i9t falls on a weekend.
As it works, the following regulkar work week day is observed as the Stat because basically the member is missing the double time on the Saturday or Sunday because they are paid at overtime rates anyway.
I would be more inclined to have the paid overtime pyramided on a weekend.
If the day falls within the week then that day is paid at the applicable overtime rate- I never worked it anyway.

It seems like with days like Remembrance Day and Labour Day the focus has changed from the day off to focusing on the double time rate, which is sad.
Cat
That is sad. I never really thought about that, we are all salary here so the overtime rate does not apply. However we observe Remembrance Day on whatever day it falls. If it happens to be on a weekend like this year we observe it on that day (November 11) .... and then we take our Saturday on the Monday.

Good for you tirebob!
Old 11-08-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Personally speaking, I have never agreed with moving a Stat like Remembrance day into the work week if i9t falls on a weekend.
As it works, the following regulkar work week day is observed as the Stat because basically the member is missing the double time on the Saturday or Sunday because they are paid at overtime rates anyway.
I would be more inclined to have the paid overtime pyramided on a weekend.
If the day falls within the week then that day is paid at the applicable overtime rate- I never worked it anyway.

It seems like with days like Remembrance Day and Labour Day the focus has changed from the day off to focusing on the double time rate, which is sad.
Cat
I'm with you there Cat. Remeberance day is a special day with a lot of meaning.

Not many get the chance but if any of you ever wonder what it means to those that served spend time in a Legion on the 11th with Vets. Typically the 1 day of the year they'll open up. It's an eye opener.

We are down to two WW2 vets and I think only one is well enough to make it this year. We are losing them and it's sad. They gave a lot.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:02 PM

Pretty self explanatory in the link provided earlier:

Quote:
Holiday pay rates

As an example, in 2017 Remembrance Day is on a Saturday:

If an employee normally works Saturdays and is given Remembrance Day off: they are entitled to their regular daily wage.

If an employee normally works Saturdays and works Remembrance Day: they are entitled to their regular daily wage plus holiday pay at least 1.5 times the employee’s wage rate for hours worked on the holiday; alternatively, employees are entitled to their regular wage for each hour worked on the holiday, plus another regular work day off with pay.

If an employee normally has Saturdays off but works on Remembrance Day: they are entitled to holiday pay at least 1.5 times the employee’s wage rate for hours worked on the holiday.

If an employee normally has Saturdays off and doesn't work on Remembrance Day: they are not entitled to general holiday pay and are not entitled to an extra day off; however, they may receive general holiday pay or an extra day off if it's an entitlement in an employment contract or a part of a union agreement.
So if you don't normally work Saturdays, you're not entitled to an extra day off or holiday pay (unless it's included in your employment contract) - though it would seem most employers are doing one or the other.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWO View Post
Friday. Not sure why my co-workers in Ontario do not get it off.
I do.i t is not a stat in Ontario.

boxing day is a stat in Ontario but not in alberta

the stat holidays vary province wide as I learned the hard way

when I started with a new company. had never worked boxing day before.

https://www.statutoryholidays.com/
Old 11-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Banned

Worked a job on a deadline(we were 27 days into a 28 day shift and a long way from home) and the boss asked the crew if we wanted Nov. 11 off. We wanted to get done and get home so we said no. Pretty sure vets would have wanted to get home a day sooner. At 11 A.M. we shut down the job and listened to CBC radio from my loader playing taps, all of us standing with hats off and tears in our eyes.After, we talked a bit about people in our lives who had served then we went back to work feeling so gratefull for the men and women who sacrificed so we could have jobs, lives and family. It was as powerfull and moving as any ceremony I have ever attended.
It`s not about days off and overtime.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Worked a job on a deadline(we were 27 days into a 28 day shift and a long way from home) and the boss asked the crew if we wanted Nov. 11 off. We wanted to get done and get home so we said no. Pretty sure vets would have wanted to get home a day sooner. At 11 A.M. we shut down the job and listened to CBC radio from my loader playing taps, all of us standing with hats off and tears in our eyes.After, we talked a bit about people in our lives who had served then we went back to work feeling so gratefull for the men and women who sacrificed so we could have jobs, lives and family. It was as powerfull and moving as any ceremony I have ever attended.

My hat is off to you and your Boss. Your words and experience is what remembering is about.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Actually IMO it is about days off for local residents that want to attend Remembrance day functions , they should be able to take the day off.
People on a remote site is a different matter.
Cat