Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-30-2017, 07:47 PM

Default Auger sharpening

I've got one of the old Jiffy White Lightening augers. It's as old as the hills but it runs like a top. Last year I replaced the blades but it still doesn't chew through the ice very well. Actually it does a lot more bouncing and scraping than chewing. A buddy figures I need to get the center point sharpened. Could anyone suggest somewhere to get that done that might be quicker than getting into the queue at Lawn Mower Hospital or someplace where I'm waiting in line behind people getting major tune ups done... Or is there an individual who has the know how to do it. Not looking for free labor. I'm in Edmonton. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2017, 07:59 PM

R&R sharpening is the main place for auger blade sharpening.

Check your regular blades too. There were some Jiffy ones last year that were in pretty rough shape right out of the package. It could be your center point that is dull but I would think it would be your regular blades if it is bouncing around(should be able to tell easily enough which ones it is, does the auger take forever to dig deep enough for the main blades to come into contact or does that happen quickly then the regular blades just not cut?).

Jiffy also offers a sharpener in case you are interested in doing it yourself.

https://www.thefishinhole.com/index....ENER/&se=26328

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnDTA0FMrAU
Old 11-30-2017, 09:55 PM

Just run a file on the point on the back side of the chamfer. Loosen the blade bolts and cut some plastic strips off a plastic file folder or duo tang and insert between the blade and auger on the back side of blade, to give it little more angle, and retighten. Should cut like crazy then.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:09 PM

Default Auger blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pilot cock View Post
I've got one of the old Jiffy White Lightening augers. It's as old as the hills but it runs like a top. Last year I replaced the blades but it still doesn't chew through the ice very well. Actually it does a lot more bouncing and scraping than chewing. A buddy figures I need to get the center point sharpened. Could anyone suggest somewhere to get that done that might be quicker than getting into the queue at Lawn Mower Hospital or someplace where I'm waiting in line behind people getting major tune ups done... Or is there an individual who has the know how to do it. Not looking for free labor. I'm in Edmonton. Thanks!
If your auger is bouncing around while trying to drill it is your main blades. Either the wrong pitch or not sharp enough. Those blades should be easy to touch up up with a file. Center point is a guide and really doesn't need to be all that sharp. Make sure there is no burr on the blades if you sharpen your self. If that doesn't work look at another set of blades and see if the pitch is correct, may have to use shims to get the correct pitch or new blades
Old 12-01-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony5 View Post
If your auger is bouncing around while trying to drill it is your main blades. Either the wrong pitch or not sharp enough. Those blades should be easy to touch up up with a file. Center point is a guide and really doesn't need to be all that sharp. Make sure there is no burr on the blades if you sharpen your self. If that doesn't work look at another set of blades and see if the pitch is correct, may have to use shims to get the correct pitch or new blades
Don't want to start anything but last year I added new blades and my Eskimo still wouldn't cut right. Replaced the centre point and it cut like a dream.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:47 AM

Have to send my Nils powerpoint to Michigan..
Old 12-01-2017, 05:14 PM

It doesn’t take much to dull blades, maybe there not sharp despite being fairly new.
They should be razor sharp.
If there semi sharp try using a polishing wheel and some compound. One that fits a drill would do it, both available at CT or Princess. Green compound is usually the one you want, but you want light cut compound.
Whatever you don’t take a grinder to them. The heat will ruin the temper.
You’d be better off getting another set of blades as opposed to paying someone to sharpen them.
If you have a honing stone or better yet a whetstone you can sharpen them easy, if you’re careful. It doesn’t take much, less work then most people think.
If you want some tips or help PM me and I’ll help you out. I have educational videos on sharpening also.
If your serious get a Japanese Whetstone off Amazon. You can get man made King stones for like $40. Won’t take long shipping compared to China either.
A combo 1000/4000 or one of each. You might want a chisel sharpening guide jig if you have zero confidence in your motor skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2017, 06:12 PM

Only sharpen the top edge of the blade. The bottom (the edge that sits on the ice) is at a certain angle and if you mess with it your auger will never cut the same.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:32 PM

Cut a couple of 1/4" X 2" shims out of a pop can and shim the blades to cut more, not less. Never use a file to sharpen auger blades - they must be razor sharp, not sharp like an axe. There is a shop on Bowness Road in Calgary that specializes in carbide blades but can do a really fine job on ice auger blades for about $20. They do my 10" blades at the end of every season because of the grit/dust in the ice on prairie reservoirs.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:45 PM

Default Auger blade sharpening

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPman View Post
Cut a couple of 1/4" X 2" shims out of a pop can and shim the blades to cut more, not less. Never use a file to sharpen auger blades - they must be razor sharp, not sharp like an axe. There is a shop on Bowness Road in Calgary that specializes in carbide blades but can do a really fine job on ice auger blades for about $20. They do my 10" blades at the end of every season because of the grit/dust in the ice on prairie reservoirs.
Do you happen to know the name of the place for future reference? Thank you Russ C
Old 12-02-2017, 07:50 PM

i sharpen my auger blades with a fine file and/or very fine sand paper every year and it cuts like a knife through butter. Im cheap though and would never pay someone 20$ to sharpen blades.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:01 AM

If you just replaced the blades on it try turning the bolts around the other way and see if that helps. I sharpened the blades on a buddies Jiffy a couple years back and had the same thing happen when we went to use it. Couldn't figure out why it wouldn't cut as I had sharpened the blades before and had no issues. One way the bolt head stuck out to far and prevented it from digging into the ice and it would just bounce around on top. Turned the bolts and she cut like no tomorrow...

Edit: Forgot to add you can use a fine file to sharpen the chisel point if needed, very quick and easy to do yourself.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ C View Post
Do you happen to know the name of the place for future reference? Thank you Russ C
Carbide Saw Service. They do excellent work.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:21 PM

I'll put a link to a video once its done uploading, yet here is a pretty good PDF with all you would need to know about sharpening a blade. Focus on the Chisel portions Chapter 6 page 58
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tN6...ew?usp=sharing
Old 12-04-2017, 05:42 PM

If you want to get some good stones for under $100, I'd recommend these 2. You can get a combo stone with both the 1000 and 4000 on either side, but these 2 are one of each.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Heres a 1000 6000 combo. 6000 will do the same thing with a bit more work.
https://www.amazon.ca/King-47506-Com...6AXW2W41BSJ7Y6

1000 4000 combo
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01FXK7XF6/...detail_1?psc=1

Here is some compound for stropping or polishing
https://www.amazon.ca/Woodstock-D290...JVEGQPMA6&th=1
Woodstock D2912 Buffing Compound, 1 Pound Bar (Green)

$50 to $100 would be all you need to put a razor edge on any knife or tool. (Don't tell my wife that, lol)
Natural Japanese stones are in the hundreds and do work better, but mostly they last longer and don't need flattening as much.

Last edited by PlayDoh; 12-04-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:10 PM

Default Auger blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy K View Post
Thank you Heavy K
Old 12-04-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy K View Post
Have also had blades sharpened here - they do indeed do good work. They were able to sharpen the curved Strikemaster lazer blades for me. It made a huge difference, but I still find that nothing beats new blades.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:09 PM

Heres the video
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OWN...ew?usp=sharing
Old 12-05-2017, 09:39 PM

Thanks so much for all the good information. As it turns out, I found a jiffy model 30 with the 3hp Tecumseh engine on Kijiji for a decent price. I'll do my best to get the old one cutting better but it's likely going to be a Christmas gift for a friend who doesn't have a power auger. It'll be a huge step up from his manual one even if it cuts exactly as it was.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pilot cock View Post
Thanks so much for all the good information. As it turns out, I found a jiffy model 30 with the 3hp Tecumseh engine on Kijiji for a decent price. I'll do my best to get the old one cutting better but it's likely going to be a Christmas gift for a friend who doesn't have a power auger. It'll be a huge step up from his manual one even if it cuts exactly as it was.

Your welcome. You can get the job done with oil stones, yet it’s a bit more messy, and finding big enough honing stones isn’t easy.
I spent over a decade shopping around for stones and such, yet once I got my first amazon order from Japan I was on my way to ninja, lol.
One instructor sharpens a knife with a concrete block, then cardboard and newspaper sharp enough to shave his face. Yet it took a long time, and didn’t look like a comfortable shave, lol.
I put red rubber bands on the kitchen knives after sharpening them cause I find it hard to resist scary razor sharp, and if your not paying attention you’ll get close to bone before you notice your cut.
On a side note, don’t forget to sharpen those fish hooks.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:54 AM

I have the same auger and what was happening to me was i was getting a cone of ice developing over that center piece on the bottom. Soon as i touched the blades up on a stone for a couple minutes it really started digging again. Really its pretty easy if you follow the contours of the blade angle and take a few minutes to do it.

Good luck!
Old 12-06-2017, 12:02 PM

If you want I can give it a try. Give me a call if your interested.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-10-2017, 07:34 PM

If u get to Calgary I can get it cutting good for u

And are you sure the blade is installed correct?
Old 12-11-2017, 07:39 AM

I would try shimming the blades same as post #9 above. Worked for me.