Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-19-2020, 04:33 PM

Default PAL Courses

Anyone one know of any PAL courses still happening? Bonus points if near Red Deer.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:12 PM

Default PAL Courses

Tactical Advantage is still doing courses in Edmonton. Last one of the year was this weekend. Now booking for January.

https://www.pistolsmith.ca
Old 12-19-2020, 05:55 PM

Don Furuness Ponoka area 403 704 9868

James Lazzari Sylvan Lake 403 887 3701

There lots others check with afss
Old 12-19-2020, 06:13 PM

Vital Safety in Drayton Valley.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-19-2020, 07:42 PM

I did my course in Camrose in August at “Safety Starts Here”. They run courses on weekends. Don’t know if they are still running courses currently though.

Tell them Daryl Robins sent you!
Old 12-20-2020, 07:38 AM

Thanks Folks!
Old 12-20-2020, 08:20 AM

Does a youth need a PAL to hunt legally. Or are the co weed by the guardian’s PAL when they are with them ?
Old 12-20-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
Does a youth need a PAL to hunt legally. Or are the co weed by the guardian’s PAL when they are with them ?
A youth <18 yrs needs to either have a minors licence and accompanied by an adult be it a legal guardian or an adult with written permission from their legal guardian, that adult doesn't to need to have a firearms licence or a hunting licence, as long as the youth has a minors firearms licence and all the necessary things to legally hunt. You can then leave said youth in a blind as a guide would leave a non res hunter.

The other option is an adult with a valid PAL, and all the necessary permissions to accompany the youth, again the youth will have all the hurdles to be a fully licensed hunter, so the adult doesn’t need to be........ but in this scenario you can’t leave the youth beyond an arms reach.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-20-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
A youth <18 yrs needs to either have a minors licence and accompanied by an adult be it a legal guardian or an adult with written permission from their legal guardian, that adult doesn't to need to have a firearms licence or a hunting licence, as long as the youth has a minors firearms licence and all the necessary things to legally hunt. You can then leave said youth in a blind as a guide would leave a non res hunter.

The other option is an adult with a valid PAL, and all the necessary permissions to accompany the youth, again the youth will have all the hurdles to be a fully licensed hunter, so the adult doesn’t need to be........ but in this scenario you can’t leave the youth beyond an arms reach.
This is what the Wildlife Act states in regards to minors and supervision. It doesn't say anything about this not applying if they have a Mnor's PAL or if the adult is acting like a Guide. I am missing an additional section that explains or expands on this?

Alberta Wildlife Act

Minors

31 A person who is under 18 years of age shall not hunt with a
firearm or another prescribed weapon unless under the direct and
immediate supervision of

(a) the minor’s parent or legal guardian, or

(b) an adult who is authorized in writing by the minor’s
parent or legal guardian to accompany the minor.

My nephew is 17 and has his minor PAL and he is excited for next year when he will turn 18 and can hunt alone. I would hate to tell him and my brother were wrong in having him have to be with 1 of us all of this season.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
This is what the Wildlife Act states in regards to minors and supervision. It doesn't say anything about this not applying if they have a Mnor's PAL or if the adult is acting like a Guide. I am missing an additional section that explains or expands on this?

Alberta Wildlife Act

Minors

immediate supervision of

(a) the minor’s parent or legal guardian, or

(b) an adult who is authorized in writing by the minor’s
parent or legal guardian to accompany the minor.

My nephew is 17 and has his minor PAL and he is excited for next year when he will turn 18 and can hunt alone. I would hate to tell him and my brother were wrong in having him have to be with 1 of us all of this season.

The only place accompany is somewhat defined in the act or regs is when referencing guiding, that part about putting hunters in a stand. That how I define accompanying.

There’s 2 things that need satisfying as far as minors go.

The firearms act(federal) somebody needs a firearms licence. Either the adult has one or the minor can have a minors firearms licence.

Then there’s the wildlife act and regulations(Provincial) Accompanied by an adult duly authorized(nothing said whether this adult needs to hold a hunting licence)

Satisfy both of them how ever you must.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 12-20-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-20-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
The only place accompany is somewhat defined in the act or regs is when referencing guiding, that part about putting hunters in a stand. That how I define accompanying.

There’s 2 things that need satisfying as far as minors go.

The firearms act(federal) somebody needs a firearms licence. Either the adult has one or the minor can have a minors firearms licence.

Then there’s the wildlife act and regulations(Provincial) Accompanied by an adult duly authorized(nothing said whether this adult needs to hold a hunting licence)

Satisfy both of them how ever you must.
Doesn't this section clearly state that a person under the age of 18 must be under direct and immediate supervision? Reminds me of the requirement if I take an adult person hunting you does not have a PAL, and I loan them 1 of my guns.

This section would even imply that it is illegal to let a 17 year old go bow hunting by himself.

immediate supervision of