Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-15-2008, 09:27 AM

Question Southern Alberta Fishing

Just curious here people. I'd like to get a lot of ice-fishing done in the next 2 weeks. How are the Reservoirs fishing? I'd like to get after some pike on tip-ups, and Whites on wire-worms. Wondering if anyone's been fishing Travers, Milk River Ridge, St. Mary's, Jensen, Sherburne?
Comments and ideas appreciated,
Thanks!
Old 02-15-2008, 09:37 AM

Sherburne has been dead that last couple times I have been out but havent gotten the time to actually put the time in and find the fish. I have just been hitting the areas that were good in summer.

Give me a shout if you come my way.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:07 PM

Default st. mary's

i have spent a lot of time a st. mary's this year.... lots of pike in the 12 to 20 lbs range, a few welleyes in the 8 to 10 lbs range and a boat load of white fish in the 3 to 5 lbs range... good luck...

Jim
Old 02-15-2008, 09:32 PM

Default Sherburne

Will be heading to Sherburne this Monday for some perch and hopefully a couple of pike. Have never not came back with perch limit this year but hear the last couple of weeks are a bit slow. Need to move around to find them but I think that is what is happening everywhere this time of year. You are welcome to join me this Monday and I will have the camera down the hole to see what it going on. Good luck to everyone this weekend and try to take out some first time fishermen/women so that we can keep the sport going. I know I am taking 2 pre-teens and they are excited to get out.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:59 AM

I was out at SHerburne today. Seen alot of fish on the screen. Missed 2 pike but landed a bunch of perch and a walleye. I was only there fore about 3 hrs before the cold front came in and I went home.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:40 PM

Yup we were at sherburne yesterday to some of us caught lotsa perch others not so good but we found them in 45' water so what you bring up have to keep as they wont survive the release. Couple pike no walleye. What a miserable day wet and cold
Old 02-17-2008, 01:09 PM

Cujo I was in 40 feet as well but was bringing up my fish nice and slow they didnt have a problems making it back down. What were you driving?

Was out again today and had about 2 dozen through the ice only kept 7. They were being picky about minnows and only nibbling so I put on a small jig and some maggots. That worked like a charm and was catching them like crazy. A couple big walleye started cruising through on a regular basis so I put a 1/8 jig head with a minnow about 12" above the maggots. When the walleye came in I would drop the maggots and jig the minnow. I pulled 2 walleye through the ice about 18" long. Seen 2 pike on the Aqua-Vu then it died off around 10:30 was seeing alot of fish but they would look at the bait then swim away. Finally by 11:15 there wernt anymore fishing hanging around. I BS'd with one group for a little while then packed it up.

Weather was great as well sun was out and only -5.