Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-07-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Barnes recommends 2000fps
Nope, just got off the horn Barnes reps say with the 139, it will open completely at 1300 and partially at lower velocities. The higher weights are for losses lead has, but with copper, the LRX retains 100% of the weight. The 139LRX was designed specifically for the 7mm Rem Mag. It has been tested for Deer, Moose, and Elk out to 1,000 yards. Either whether I go with the 7 or 300 rum, the extra barrel length of 27.5" will give me around 250-300 fps greater than the load data at 24".

calculating.... using Nosler load data, and 68 grains of r-22 complete burn @27.5". the velocity will then be 3540+. at 1000 yards it will be 1708 fps, or 400fps more than rated.

what I have learned in this exercise, the old ways of thinking do not apply anymore, with the new weight retention, heavy bullets are not needed, and speed really does kill. We need to re-examine how we reload....

I am leaning heavily toward the 7mm Rem Mag, because I'm used to it and the 300 RUM kick is probably a bit much for this lazy ass.

Last edited by Blackwolf; 11-07-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
Nope, just got off the horn Barnes reps say with the 139, it will open completely at 1300 and partially at lower velocities. The higher weights are for losses lead has, but with copper, the LRX retains 100% of the weight. The 139LRX was designed specifically for the 7mm Rem Mag. It has been tested for Deer, Moose, and Elk out to 1,000 yards. Either whether I go with the 7 or 300 rum, the extra barrel length of 27.5" will give me around 250-300 fps greater than the load data at 24".

calculating.... using Nosler load data, and 68 grains of r-22 complete burn @27.5". the velocity will then be 3540+. at 1000 yards it will be 1708 fps, or 400fps more than rated.

what I have learned in this exercise, the old ways of thinking do not apply anymore, with the new weight retention, heavy bullets are not needed, and speed really does kill. We need to re-examine how we reload....

I am leaning heavily toward the 7mm Rem Mag, because I'm used to it and the 300 RUM kick is probably a bit much for this lazy ass.
The LRX will open at 1400 - 2500 fps as verified multiple times by Conlee Luke in the ballistics lab at Barnes that I talk to at least monthly, the TTSX opens at 1800 fps on the low end and the TSX is in the 2000 fps range.

Now that we have verified what bullet you are actually talking about, we can make some progress here.

The LRX will open beyond 1000 yards in your set up.

At 1000 yards you are talking about 237.35" of drop or 22.67 MOA. assuming a 3350 fps velocity which is safely realistic given that the highest load listed by Barnes is 3199 fps. Please do not use just any old Nosler data to load Barnes bullets. They are not always interchangeable.

I'd say that if your scope has enough adjustment then you are good. I can't remember what you said you were running on it for glass.

The RUM on the other hand drops down below 1800 FPS at the 775-785 FPS mark assuming a 3900 FPS MV. Ethically that should be the limit for that round.

FWIW I have been loading strictly Barnes bullets for hunting for almost 15 years. I am well aware of the weight issues and what exactly that bullet can do. They are killers!

I have learned to detest recoil. I'd personally shoot the 7 now that I know you are looking at shooting the LRX.

Last edited by Cowtown guy; 11-09-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:

That's really incredible,first it was a 139 ttsx or tsx then it was the lrx and now we have to change the way we reload coming from a guy who calls himself lazy ass or do you mean slow donkey and 3540 fps with excellent accuracy on a cold bore shoot at 1000yrds with exact POI every time is a joke,big time.
Plus you had to call barnes to figure out what the bullet can or can't do and jacken it up to crunch the right numbers so you can talk yourself into this so you don't have to walk.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
http://www.barnesbullets.com/bullets/lrx/

I do not understand why folks like weight for rifles and archery. remember E=velocity squared times mass.

I still have boxes of TTSX Barnes bullets in 139. My experience has killed deer out to 930 yards (=- 5yrds) and bear to 425. All of them just dropped nary a twitch. I did try 168 Bergers originally, then 220 Berger. At 100 yards they were all over the place and the 220 were even worse.
I was at Marksman in Lethbridge picking up powder. we discussed my dilemma and sold me a box of TTSX 139. After some adjustments started to nail drive out to 300 yards bench of course.
Those 7mm 220gr bergers are so rare that they are probably worth more than bitcoin. Good thing they shot for shat for you. But thats not the only shat im smelling
Old 11-10-2017, 07:46 AM

IMHO Barnes and long range do not go together. Why shoot such a light low BC bullet for long range?? Makes no sense. I also would look past the RUM and go 300 WIN MAG. My 300 Win Mag shoots 215 Bergers at 3000 fps with 13 gr less powder than my 300 RUM. Run the numbers on a 215 Berger or the Hornady 225 ELD-M compared to a Barnes. They won't even be in the same league.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
IMHO Barnes and long range do not go together. Why shoot such a light low BC bullet for long range?? Makes no sense. I also would look past the RUM and go 300 WIN MAG. My 300 Win Mag shoots 215 Bergers at 3000 fps with 13 gr less powder than my 300 RUM. Run the numbers on a 215 Berger or the Hornady 225 ELD-M compared to a Barnes. They won't even be in the same league.
Why are you talking about match bullets? This is a long range hunting discussion. Have a look at the BC on the LRX.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Why are you talking about match bullets? This is a long range hunting discussion. Have a look at the BC on the LRX.
There is no discussion ,it's one guys thought on something he believes as an exit from stalking or moving his lazy ass as he calls himself to avoid ethical hunting methods and has been pulling every ones chain for a joke.

If it is long range hunting then why not talk about other choice of bullet,this menu has one thing on it and I am not buying it.Plus at 1000 if loaded at 3540 the bullet will be very unstable and for some who are new to reloading may think this info is correct or a smart thing to do buy pushing the limits and have very bad experience or get hurt.

The best shooters will think twice on taking 1000 yard pokes and with very different bullet chioces,so what kinda message are you sending out to the average shooter or new ones.This forum is set up to give correct and good advise for all shooters and most shooters should not attempt this BS he is talking about.BC is important in long range shooting,but not .470 in a 139 lrx at a 1000.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Maybe you should look at the BC of the 215 Berger. That and the success guys like myself have had with this bullet. Barnes is the last thing I’d shoot for a bullet at long range. The 215 and the 300 Win Mag are a perfect match. Haven’t shot anything with the 215 that took a step. Do a search on long range hunting and long range only. Then you’ll see why I mentioned the 215 Berger. Hundreds if not thousands of guys using them.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:24 PM

my apologies, I went through heavier bullets 6 years ago. so whether it was a 215, or a 225 were still unremarkable and useless. I did get confused over the 139, and the 140 Barnes. SOOOOOORRRRRRRRY!!!!

I shot 140 grain chronographed into a target at 300 yards. The result was a bullet in Bullet. That was also 50 rounds, and till my rifle disappeared, did that monthly. Maybe no 50 rounds but at least 6.
I was talking to Conlee, at Barnes and was very impressed with what they have. Conlee told me they were killing elk out to 1200 yards. using an LRX 139, 7mm. He sent me the recipe, but I somehow deleted it. Still going through all the Hornady, Lyman, etc,etc to find the right one. Conlee also said that we could overload, because there was less contact, less pressure????? Maybe this info is wrong, I have been wrong before once or twice.

So for 30+ years I shot and tagged out every year. every animal was under 75 yards. I was bored and thought I would see how far my .308 would shoot. I then bought a 7mm Rem Mag and started shooting longer and longer.

So is it ethical to shoot game beyond your ????? Probably more than carrying that rifle on your quad at 10:00 am. or road hunting or hunting over a salt lick. Maybe it's alright to wake up opening day, grab the still unused box of shells you had 5 years ago and the rifle that hasn't been fired since you bought it and go hunting????

I pride myself on one shot one kill, which takes a lot of practice. My rifle will not be ready for hunting until next season After I've put a lot of bullets through her. Is that unethical or just not your style of hunting?

Last edited by Blackwolf; 11-12-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:26 AM

This is turning out a better read than "Funny Thing at the Gun Counter" thread.