Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-22-2014, 07:15 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
I love it when you guys give unsolicited advise. You mean to tell me you wouldn't walk or ATV on 9 inches of ice? Maybe you guys should take up knitting.
It!s not the consistent solid nine inches that will hold you that's a concern, it will be the area of three inches or less that will sink you! The lake is open and with the way the ice shifts etc right now best just to stick with walking out. At least you will not loose your knitting needles when you break through.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-22-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
It!s not the consistent solid nine inches that will hold you that's a concern, it will be the area of three inches or less that will sink you! The lake is open and with the way the ice shifts etc right now best just to stick with walking out. At least you will not loose your knitting needles when you break through.
The main lake froze over on the 13 Dec. French bay has been froze over for more than a month. I'll probably drive my truck on it this coming weekend.

Not caring what you guys think..I've been doing this a lot of years and 11 inches or so of good ice is lots.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
The main lake froze over on the 13 Dec. French bay has been froze over for more than a month. I'll probably drive my truck on it this coming weekend.

Not caring what you guys think..I've been doing this a lot of years and 11 inches or so of good ice is lots.
11 inches is plenty...that is not consistent across the entire body of water, all I am doing is sharing information so no one takes our word that it is good to go wherever they decide to go and end up in the drink.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:

Hope we don't see you on the front of the Cold Lake Sun splake....
Old 12-22-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
Hope we don't see you on the front of the Cold Lake Sun splake....
Unless his truck floats, I saw steam way out on the 16 th
Old 12-22-2014, 12:05 PM

If one goes out in there truck the rest will follow lol
Old 12-22-2014, 01:13 PM

And the 2014 Darwin award goes to .......

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/31901979

If you think 11" of ice is enough to drive your truck onto a lake that's hundreds of feet deep and you think it's consistently strong and uniformed in thickness ...... go ahead.

I hope you are not mistaken. I'm sure your family hopes you are right.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:01 PM

Is French bay glare ice or is there some snow for skidoo?
Old 12-22-2014, 05:22 PM
Banned

Not sure about French bay but the main lake you could skate on there's barely a skiff on it so I doubt the bay has much more. Quads are the answer if you have that option.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:35 PM

Does anyone have any more up to date news on the ice?
Old 12-25-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfisher View Post
I don't mean to sound rude
Old 12-25-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark View Post
Does anyone have any more up to date news on the ice?
Solid 10"-12" thru out French bay, we drilled 40+ holes and measured all over from the boat launch by the ski hill, heading towards main lake, then towards middle of French bay. We camped overnight on the north side of the bay on 11" of clear with 2 skidoos spread out about 200 or so meters apart.

It's pretty cold there right now - ice is probably a bit thicker now a few days later but always best to drill and measure to be sure.

And to mention, there were a few douches driving full trucks out but parking over like 50' of water. We packed up when that started and jetted across the bay where the trucks can't get to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (64.4 KB, 312 views)
Old 12-26-2014, 03:50 AM

"And to mention, there were a few douches driving full trucks out but parking over like 50' of water. We packed up when that started and jetted across the bay where the trucks can't get to."

Why are they douches? Because you don't approve of driving their trucks when it's perfectly safe to do so? Because your not informed does not call for name calling.

I'll be one of those douches tomorrow.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:12 AM

How deep where you guys hitting the lakers?
Old 12-26-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:
"And to mention, there were a few douches driving full trucks out but parking over like 50' of water. We packed up when that started and jetted across the bay where the trucks can't get to."

Why are they douches? Because you don't approve of driving their trucks when it's perfectly safe to do so? Because your not informed does not call for name calling.

I'll be one of those douches tomorrow.
No kidding, I'll drive my Jeep on 8-10 inches probably makes me a douche as well.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:49 AM

Because 10" just simply isn't enough ice to drive on no matter what the type of ice, especially when they're bunched together without spreading out properly. Putting that much weight so close together is just calling for trouble. We fully expected to come back the next day and something to have happened, luckily it didn't.

I also said "douches" because only a douche would drive so close to other people in the way that a few of them started to. It's your choice to do it, that's why we packed up and went to better fishing.

And to the jeep comment, I said full sized trucks - a jeep is far from that.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:30 AM

I myself have had people in a vehicle drive up to where I have walked out on the lake (only 8" of ice) roll down their window and ask how thick the ice is. Just be respectful of others on the lake, if you drive out on the ice, stay away from other people who are on foot, it's just common sense and respect. There's lots of lake for everyone, spread out a bit, that goes for the whole season, don't crowd people and if you want to talk, park 50 yards away and walk, you will find people way more receptive.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory3006 View Post
I myself have had people in a vehicle drive up to where I have walked out on the lake (only 8" of ice) roll down their window and ask how thick the ice is. Just be respectful of others on the lake, if you drive out on the ice, stay away from other people who are on foot, it's just common sense and respect. There's lots of lake for everyone, spread out a bit, that goes for the whole season, don't crowd people and if you want to talk, park 50 yards away and walk, you will find people way more receptive.
Great post!
Old 12-26-2014, 08:39 AM

Smile

Quote:
Well said
Old 12-26-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
That's how all should act, great post and well said.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:22 PM

Was out off the Prov Park in Cold Lake North today, 9" of clear black ice. Lots of new cracks and very noisy ice today. Fishing was a little slow, but managed 7 myself in 2 hours, all undersize fish.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:48 AM

Any updates on conditions for French bay?
Old 12-29-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikehunter1989 View Post
Any updates on conditions for French bay?
walked out bout a km from the ski hill area boat launch on sat, i meausured 12" which wasnt enough to make me comfortable to drive but there was about 10 trucks around us. ice was real noisy haha a little unnerving but was all good. got about 10 lakers between the two of us. one good one about 14lbs
Old 12-29-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigsy View Post
walked out bout a km from the ski hill area boat launch on sat, i meausured 12" which wasnt enough to make me comfortable to drive but there was about 10 trucks around us. ice was real noisy haha a little unnerving but was all good. got about 10 lakers between the two of us. one good one about 14lbs
How much snow on the ice? Will be heading up on the 1st and debating whether to take a skidoo or quad. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-29-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blairh View Post
How much snow on the ice? Will be heading up on the 1st and debating whether to take a skidoo or quad. Thanks in advance!
maybe half inch of snow mostly quads out there but saw a couple skidoos. ice cleats are a good idea
Old 12-30-2014, 08:36 PM

Anyone make it out this week?
Old 12-30-2014, 09:27 PM

Yep. Was out in front of marina on Monday. There is 9" of ice where I was. And today I went to French bay. 13" of ice there. Marked lots of fish, most were pretty aggressive.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:48 PM

Thanks simmered. We might head up Thursday to try our luck.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:17 PM

Was out the last couple days out from the provincial park. 8-10'' of ice about a mile out towards the centre of the lake (west). The access to the lake from the boat launch is kinda rough so if you have a trailer I'd recommend using one of the parking lots and driving your stuff onto the lake instead of bouncing down the ramp. Stay safe and have fun!
Old 12-31-2014, 06:22 PM

yup 12 "of ice is good for a smaller truck like a ranger but must drive really slow,
at that speed ,why not just walk and not take a chance of hitting a air pocket.