Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-01-2018, 05:41 PM

Default Things to do in Maui

Heading to Kapalua Maui in mid January for 10 days. Never been to Maui before. What are some recommended sights/tours, etc. to do? We definitely want to go whale watching at some point.

Thanks in advance.

A.H.

Last edited by A.H.; 01-01-2018 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Please move to General Forum
Old 01-01-2018, 05:54 PM

Do the road to Hana. Will need to rent a vehicle of course but it’s a all day trip. Get the map and stop at all the points along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2018, 06:11 PM

Default Lots to do.

Buy some good snorkeling equipment. Do lots of snorkeling.
Sunrise at the 🌋.
Go fishing with a charter.book ahead.
If the weather gets rough rent some boogie boards.
Some of the best sea food try different restaurants every night. Lahaina has good food.
Surf board lessons.book ahead.
Lots of guys doing big kahuna carvings on the street make sure the woods oiled or varnished for import.
Take in a luau. Book ahead.
Hit black rock and go cliff jumping or snorkel with the sea turtles.
Enjoy peace at the beach and 🍹.
You’ll be close to some golfing too.
Lots of other stuff I haven’t done, it just goes by so fast.
You’ll have a great time minus the flying.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post
Do the road to Hana. Will need to rent a vehicle of course but it’s a all day trip. Get the map and stop at all the points along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely do this drive.

We used this app. https://gypsyguide.com/tour/road-to-hana-maui/

Did the drive twice without the app and did it with the app. We were amazed at what we had missed on our other drives.

Do a luau. We thought they were cheesy so we never went on our 3 previous trips. We did this luau (https://www.oldlahainaluau.com). It’s considered one of the best on the whole island. It’s pricy but an awesome night out. Book before you go cause it fills up fast.

Do the drive up to Haleakalā. You’ll probably be up early the 1st couple days with the time difference anyways so people just get up a little earlier and watch the sunrise from up there. We’ve only done the sunset and it was pretty cool. It does get really cold so bring some warm clothes. Lots of people (us included) think since it’s Hawaii, how cold can it get? Trust me, it’s cold!
Old 01-01-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
Definitely do this drive.

We used this app. https://gypsyguide.com/tour/road-to-hana-maui/

Did the drive twice without the app and did it with the app. We were amazed at what we had missed on our other drives.

Do a luau. We thought they were cheesy so we never went on our 3 previous trips. We did this luau (https://www.oldlahainaluau.com). It’s considered one of the best on the whole island. It’s pricy but an awesome night out. Book before you go cause it fills up fast.

Do the drive up to Haleakalā. You’ll probably be up early the 1st couple days with the time difference anyways so people just get up a little earlier and watch the sunrise from up there. We’ve only done the sunset and it was pretty cool. It does get really cold so bring some warm clothes. Lots of people (us included) think since it’s Hawaii, how cold can it get? Trust me, it’s cold!

The above posts have good info. Helicopter tour was awesome. Bring your own snorkel gear and go out every day. I also took an early morning flight to Honolulu and spent the entire day at Pearl Harbor and took an evening flight back to Maui. We did the volcano sunrise followed by the bike down, recommended as well.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.H. View Post
Heading to Kapalua Maui in mid January for 10 days. Never been to Maui before. What are some recommended sights/tours, etc. to do? We definitely want to go whale watching at some point.

Thanks in advance.

A.H.
Its expensive.
Its a full day trip, but if I can afford to pull it off so can you.
https://www.sailtrilogy.com/tour/lanai
It was so damn worth it.
You are on a catamaran, they feed you fill you full of amazing treats and if you have a DD you can drink a bit on your trip back.
You spend the day on a private beach snorkeling.
You will cross right through the pods of whales etc. Most amazing trip of your life.

When you get back sit in the banyan tree park, just soak it in, it is so cool.
If you go digging for pictures you will find some of my son, playing up in the banyan.......
It is amazing area.
There is a cool aquarium in Maui too

GO FIND
3600 Lower Honoapiilani Rd, Lahaina, HI 96761, USA
I want you to have lunch there.
Enjoy the drive.
Fish and pork tacos.
Lots to see and do when you get to this area too!

If you are totally lost here is the tourist magazine you need to pick up the minute you walk out of the airport.
http://www.spotlighthawaii.com/Maui/
This magazine is your best friend, it gives you lots of deals and information on the island.

Oh save your reciepts from ABC store..... then turn them in for free gift at the end of the trip.
Only 188 more days till we are back in Hawaii! But who is counting the days!

Last edited by FishingMOM; 01-02-2018 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:12 AM

• Plantation tour
  • aquarium
  • Maui Volcano (Haleakala) Drive
  • Lots of beaches
  • Snorkeling see coral, fish, and turtles
  • Deep sea fishing
  • Hana road...black sand beach and lava tube and fresh fruit stands
  • eat fruit...try breadfruit...little bananas are yummy
  • Snorkel Molokini via catamaran ride. Boat ride is nice... snorkeling is okay.
  • Dolphin tour...acrobatic spinner dolphins, friendly bottlenose dolphins, and curious spotted dolphins
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-02-2018, 08:48 AM

Go Fishing . Surf fishing is lots of fun. Just take a small rod if thats all you got .
Theres tons of fish 20' from shore , just use a Lindy rig with a piece of local shrimp or squid.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:23 AM
Banned

Cliff jumping for sure. If you get a rain day go check out the aquarium. Snorkel every day. If you see a guy roasting whole chickens on a dumpster converted into a bbq over a cane sugar fire stop whatever you are doing and buy 3. One for you, one for the wife, and one to eat once the full feeling goes away lol.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:33 AM

Snorkel tours are a must.
Road to Hana is a must but start early if you want to make some stops and still get around it before dark.
Drive the north loop. It's an easy day with lots of stops.
Rent a motorcycle and do the north loop. You should be an experienced rider for this trip.
Eat lots of poky and wash down with your favorite beverage with watching the sunset.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:44 AM

We have done many of the above....also did deep sea fishing and bottom fishing with "hawaii deep sea fishing"....we had fish for 3 meals in the condo.

We had 2 trips in 2017 to Maui.....I will keep going back until I run out of money....no more Mexico for me.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:43 AM

Take your drone!
Drone footage of Hawaii is just incredible, just make sure not to fly illegally or where you may annoy others. There are lots of beaches and coastline where it is allowed, make sure you check local regulations.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-02-2018, 12:20 PM

Default A Hawaiian Madonna

If you are in Lahaina there is an Episcopal church and it is worth a look. The buildings have no glass in the windows, I guess that they don't need it. On the face of the pulpit is a unique painting of the baby Jesus and his Hawaiian mother.

They are very nice, and won't mind a visit, they run a school and day care. At least they didn't mind us.

Very cool.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Cliff jumping for sure. If you get a rain day go check out the aquarium. Snorkel every day. If you see a guy roasting whole chickens on a dumpster converted into a bbq over a cane sugar fire stop whatever you are doing and buy 3. One for you, one for the wife, and one to eat once the full feeling goes away lol.
Yes!! It’s in a church parking lot. I think he sets up one day a week. It’s awesome.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:51 PM

There are so many things to do and try. One thing I would recommend- rent a car. They are not too expensive, and it is not too bad to drive there. In 2 trips now, we've seen every beach, visited cool spots and shops, even drove the full circle around the island, the "back"of the island is an amazingly gorgeous drive, even though the road is not always in smooth shape. The views and vistas.... man I want to live there so bad.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:55 PM

Go biking down the volcano.

The company takes you in a van to the top, and then they give you a bike and you take it down the volcano to their shop. It’s all downhill and barely any pedalling. Lot a of fun and cheap
Old 01-02-2018, 08:23 PM

Golf the Plantation. Expect to miss lots of putts. Though that’s around the time of the
PGA event I believe.

Wife and kids were snorkeling at Molokini while I was golfing. That was apparently neat as well.