Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-26-2011, 02:58 PM

Default Getting into fishing but need a few opinions

Hey would love to get into some serious fishing now that I have my licence and can drive to some fishing spots but I have a big question. Should I get a boat or just fish from shore.
A boat would mean I have to buy a truck which would cost a lot for gas. Also I would have to pay for boat maintainence and being a teen I dont have a lot of money. That being said if I will have a better experience on a boat and catch more fish then I wouldnt mind getting a truck and boat. My other option would be to just fish from shore. Im looking for trout, pike, walleye and bass. Im from edmonton and wouldnt mind driving throughout alberta to find good shore fishing on various lakes and rivers. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:53 PM

When it comes to fishing most of the lakes around edmonton for pike or walleye fishing, I would recommend that you get a boat. Most of the lakes are too shallow to fish from shore. If your trout fishing though, shore fishing is not too bad for the pothole lakes around Edmonton, though I think you would still get much better results with a boat. That's just my $0.02.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:02 PM

fishing from a boat is WAAAAAAAY better than shore fishing. You will have much better luck and a much better time with even a cheapo $500 used boat and $150 electric motor than fishing from shore. No real maintenance cost to that. Don't need anything fancy, but the ability to move around and find fish and structure that you can't find with a cast from shore is well worth it. Generally, the only good shore fishing you will find around here is on our rivers, or small trout ponds.

Oh, and if you find some good places to catch Bass, I'd love to know where!

Last edited by bloopbloob; 02-26-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:08 PM

A cheap car topper
kayak
cannoe

Are doable options without a truck, even if the cartopper needs a trailer.

Or river fishing
Old 02-26-2011, 04:15 PM

Oh, don't forget inflatable, my first boat was an inflatable 4man sevylor fishhunter. Pretty heavy duty, around 800lb capacity and very portable. even able put a motor on it, got it for around $200-$250 at CTire. You could throw it in the trunk of a car and still have lots of room.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:19 PM

Get a kayak. They are becoming very popular and can be used everywhere. There are kayaks with a drive mechanism called 'Mirage drive' which are big flippers that you pedal for propulsion, keeping your hands free. You can get into some skinny water and be stealthy with a yak, and you could probably trailer it with a car or put it on the roof. Not the fastest but there is relatively low maintenance and you cant run out of gas! Get a workout too
Old 02-26-2011, 04:35 PM

buy a jonbaot you can throw it in your truck box or on top of yourcar if its big enough and there great fo 300-500 bucks
Old 02-26-2011, 04:45 PM

Scrimp, save, beg, borrow, quit smoking, quit drinking, go halfers with a buddy. Do what ever it takes and buy a used 16ft aluminum with a trailer and a 20hp outboard. You can tow this with a car and you can use it for 5-10 yrs and sell it for the same money you paid for it. I've owned ALOT of boats over the years and still some of my best memories are fishing out of one of these. If you buy a car topper you simply will NOT use it as much and thats a fact.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:08 PM

Depends on what's truly feasible for your situation.

For me personally a boat just isn't in the works yet...storage and funds are my big issues. A small car topper or canoe would be great for my situation, except that I drive a Jeep and usually have the soft top on it, so I can't really strap anything to the roof.

That being said I think I get out and fish a lot more often than many people are able to, and I'm thankful for that. I've spent a little time learning my way around the North Saskatchewan River and I did well enough to keep me happy through the summer, and got into quite the variety of fish. There's also a nice 'low maintainance' factor with shore fishing. Last year I kept my fishing stuff in the Jeep so I could head out at any time, which made for a lot of great after work trips.

Of course having a boat would give me a lot more options, but at the same time I've been able to concentrate my efforts on figuring out the river, which really is a beast unto itself

Plus I've made some friends on the forum who have boats and have been kind enough to take me out from time to time (thanks guys!) so I still get a bit of lake fishing in occasionally, plus it makes me appreciate those outings that much more.

Here's a couple of my river catches to whet your appetite

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 02-26-2011, 05:20 PM

Buy a 4x4 older dodge dakota quab cab or similar and a 14' aluminum boat with a 20" transon and 25hp motor. You can have that set up for 5-8,000.00. With the smaller truck with a V6 you will save on gas. The 4x4 will let you use it for fishing both winter and summer.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:34 PM

Buy a small boat. 12-14ft aluminum you wont be disappointed! You can run a electric motor in the smaller trout ponds and a small gas outboard in bigger water. Bank fishing is fine but once you get the freedom of going "anywhere" you wont go back. Next it'll be jetboat. Bank Maggots miss out big time. Cheers, eskimo
Old 02-26-2011, 05:46 PM

Boat can get u to many more fishing options obviously. Other then out on the kayak, I personally enjoy shore fishing more. Don't get me wrong, boats are great, all of em, and much easier to locate fish. However, with a lil hard work n plenty of exploring, u definently dont NEED a boat to find fish. All of my largest catches of all species I've caught have ALL been landed from shore (and I've had plenty of boating excursions(sp)). That being said, if the fishing is slow, it is nice to zip to a new location in no time at all in a boat.
I agree with some other posters, I recommend a kayak, they're awesome! Quiet, light, easy maintenance, affordable, easy to transport, and just plain FUN to cruise around in
My 2 sense.
Cheers n GL!
Old 02-26-2011, 05:57 PM

Or, find a friend that has a boat.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
Buy a small boat. 12-14ft aluminum you wont be disappointed! You can run a electric motor in the smaller trout ponds and a small gas outboard in bigger water. Bank fishing is fine but once you get the freedom of going "anywhere" you wont go back. Next it'll be jetboat. Bank Maggots miss out big time. Cheers, eskimo
Bank maggots huh? Thanks...

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 02-26-2011, 06:27 PM

I think a boat is definitely a "nice" to have but not "needed" in many cases when it comes to fishing.

I bought my boat initially for taking my family out to cruise around the lakes and then got in to fishing after the fact.

It really depends on your funds and like many people suggested a car-topper or inflatable is a definite good start. If you get in to something that needs to be towed you'll be looking in to a different league; smaller aluminum boats you can get away with towing with a car. But you still need to find and pay for a place to store it every month, which is something to take in to account as well.

With a boat you can roam around the lake and get to and fish places otherwise impossible. Definitely opens up a lot more water that you can fish. Also it would naturally opens up your wallet to buy other accessories now too (fish finders, downriggers, rod holders, etc.)

However, having said that, many times you might find yourself end up fishing near areas with shore fishermen. Travers for instance by the inlet, lots of shore fishermen goes there as well. Makes you wonder why you spent the $$$ for the boat when you're there.

I believe geographic location plays a part as well. In and around Calgary you might be fine without a boat, but when you get to larger bodies of water up north, it might become a neccessity to go out in a boat in order to catch the big girls. Such as Wabamun, Gull, Pigeon, etc.

Hope this helps and hope you can make a good decision!
Old 02-26-2011, 06:52 PM

Its just a phrase Geelzle. Not to worry bud. I was a shore fisherman for a long time before i purchased my first boat. And right now i am pretty much a shore fisherman considering my current boat is a 12' jon. haha. I am just saying opportunities are much greater having a boat.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:01 PM

You should be able ot find a 14 foot alum, 15 horse and trailer for 1000-2000$. This will do you for the rest of your life if needed. Its all I have and I fish 3 or 4 days a week June- Sept.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:02 PM

oh and from experience I wouldn't get a car topper or inflatable. YOu just won't use it as much..

Nothing better than having everything in the boat ready to do. After work I back up to the trailer and drive away to fish 5pm till sunset. No ****ing around lifting a boat on a car or pumping one up
Old 02-26-2011, 08:50 PM

I recommend the car toppers as well. I like the canoe over the 'yak for the extra room for dog/buddy/wife. Easy to manage and store if thats a concern. I used to put mine on my Jetta and away I would go. Also, when some lakes or ponds require a portage to get to, you're laughing.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:19 PM

Do it up... A small truck and a small aluminum boat.. You won't regret the fishing experiences..
Old 02-26-2011, 09:21 PM

A pontoon boat, slap an electric on the back of the thing. I floated around a lot last year on one. Have broke it down and had it in the wifes little SX. You can add fish finders, etc, etc. Handy little units.

http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/...lt.aspx?type=8

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 02-27-2011, 07:15 AM

North Sak river for walleye, pike, Goldeye, Sturgen. Other rivers can be good allso. Trout at Carson. You can shore fish at these places but save your money and get a 14' or bigger aluminum with a 20 HP or more and your good to go almost anywhere. Eccept the really large lakes where the water can get really rough in minnutes. Thats where you want a 16' or bigger deep V hull with a 90hp or more. Don't forget about the hard water fishing as it can be the best sometimes.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:12 AM

I second the inflatable
Get a small electric 30 minnkota and a battery
Throw it all in the trunk of your car
No truck needed,easy to store and no hassle or extra expense
Old 02-27-2011, 09:57 AM

ESKIMO....

OK man, That "BANK MAGGOT" comment was so B.S. I wasn't sure if I should laugh at your stupidity, or pitty your closed minded attuitude...I have never met you and I sure you are a nice guy, but seriously you never go fishing without a boat??? I have a boat and depending what I am up to, or what I am targeting I some times use it and sometimes fish from sure....there is a time and a place for everything. I know for a fact Paul will out fish any boaters from shore, and when it comes to the river Jay and myself have spent many, many hours chillen by the river having a great time. Im sure hooking into 15lb Alantic Salmon from a river bank on a fly rod is beneath you, or setting your hook into 8lb browns on the Bow is as well....oh ya wrestling a 10-50lb sturgeon from the river bank wouldn't be your thing either....oh ya the fact that you can spend a great evening hooking into really nice rainbows all summer at Salters out by Onaway....anyway I am prettu sure people are getting the point....yes I love my Boat and it does open up ALOT of options....but being a "Bank Maggot" is a whole lot of fun as well.....so if you ever want to diversify and probably have a great time catching some great fish, with a pretty great bunch of Maggots let me know...and maybe, just maybe, your might have a good time!

As for the main topic here....if you can manage to get yourself something that floats.....ya its awsome and you will definately benifit. But do not limit yourself....there is some really good fishing to be had right from shore, and there are several Bank Maggots who will be more then happy to let you tag along, just ask....as for getting a boat there are just as many Deep Water Maggots who will let you come along for a day to get a feeling for what would suite your needs the best!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:16 AM

I second the pontoon option only if you're dead set on getting a boat. Iprimarly fish from shore unless I pull out the pontoon. Some days are better from shore, some days not so much. The bonus if you invest in a pontoon is that the waders you purchase will open up more opportunities to your shore fishing i.e. Ability to wader deeper in shallow lakes, less restrictions when river fishing. Try to keep additional costs in the beginning low so you can put more into gear.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Banned

If you were down the Southern part of the Province, shore fishing rules. Shore fishing is a great way to learn water type and casting techniques and landing a fish properly. Don't get me wrong boats are great, specially where it's too shallow for too far. But seriously a decent dinghy or belly boat can be fun and affordable for your first boat.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:35 PM

i like fishing from the boat....as i get old...well im old already..so as i get older than old, dont be surprized to see my Lund pulled up on shore and me in the full recline position in the grass pepsi in hand and sammich in the other.
the peacefullness of no motor and the seclusion of being where a person cant access without a boat is mostest nice.
even casting is a pain to me some days.
Some days a rod propped up on a stick and watching puffy white clouds is what the doctor ordered.

after a afternoon of deciding what that cloud reminds me of...........fire up the 275 and scream across the water for home..lol
Old 02-27-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
ESKIMO....

OK man, That "BANK MAGGOT" comment was so B.S. I wasn't sure if I should laugh at your stupidity, or pitty your closed minded attuitude...I have never met you and I sure you are a nice guy, but seriously you never go fishing without a boat??? I have a boat and depending what I am up to, or what I am targeting I some times use it and sometimes fish from sure....there is a time and a place for everything. I know for a fact Paul will out fish any boaters from shore, and when it comes to the river Jay and myself have spent many, many hours chillen by the river having a great time. Im sure hooking into 15lb Alantic Salmon from a river bank on a fly rod is beneath you, or setting your hook into 8lb browns on the Bow is as well....oh ya wrestling a 10-50lb sturgeon from the river bank wouldn't be your thing either....oh ya the fact that you can spend a great evening hooking into really nice rainbows all summer at Salters out by Onaway....anyway I am prettu sure people are getting the point....yes I love my Boat and it does open up ALOT of options....but being a "Bank Maggot" is a whole lot of fun as well.....so if you ever want to diversify and probably have a great time catching some great fish, with a pretty great bunch of Maggots let me know...and maybe, just maybe, your might have a good time!

As for the main topic here....if you can manage to get yourself something that floats.....ya its awsome and you will definately benifit. But do not limit yourself....there is some really good fishing to be had right from shore, and there are several Bank Maggots who will be more then happy to let you tag along, just ask....as for getting a boat there are just as many Deep Water Maggots who will let you come along for a day to get a feeling for what would suite your needs the best!
UH OH. Time for a hurt feeling report.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:27 PM

if u need a cheap rig pm me i can hook u up with a 12ft and a 9.9