Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-27-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
While I understand that "stuff happens", any hunter who forgets their ammo at home probably shouldn't be hunting.
Well, if he has no ammo, it's pretty much a certainty that he won't be hunting.

Poor memory shouldn't disqualify anyone. It's what one does once you have forgotten something.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Yeah but hey I forgot my bolt on my cleaning table once.....only made it about 20 min away before I remembered but yikes that would have been bad after making a 5 hour drive up north only to find no bolt in my gun.
Yes, that would not make for a good trip Mike!
Old 08-27-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Well, if he has no ammo, it's pretty much a certainty that he won't be hunting.

Poor memory shouldn't disqualify anyone. It's what one does once you have forgotten something.
Yes, I've forgot a few things before too. The possibility of forgetting my ammo in the future wouldn't be a decision maker for a rifle for me though.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Yes, I've forgot a few things before too. The possibility of forgetting my ammo in the future wouldn't be a decision maker for a rifle for me though.
I think ammo avialabililty is important, but you are right, not for the reason of being able to find it in any local hardware store or Walmart. I think it's important for a couple other reasons:

1. If you don't handload, you want a number of choices available as you search for ammo that your gun likes. Do ALL Weatherby rifles like weatherby ammo? If not, what the heck do you do? Nice to have a few choices.

2. Even if you shop at a big place like Bass Pro or WSS for some calibers there just isn't much on the shelf, especially these days. IF you shoot 30-06 or .270 you are pretty much assured that you are going to have a number of reasonably-priced choices.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:40 PM

i hope you like recoil if your buying a tikka in 270 wsm, THEY KICK LIKE A MULE ON ROIDS! I got a t3 lite stainless synthetic in 270 wsm it makes my browning a-bolt 338 win mag feel like a .22 if you starting out the 270wsm in a tikka is a notorious recoil mule. i hope this helps, good luck
Old 08-27-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddjler View Post
i hope you like recoil if your buying a tikka in 270 wsm, THEY KICK LIKE A MULE ON ROIDS! I got a t3 lite stainless synthetic in 270 wsm it makes my browning a-bolt 338 win mag feel like a .22 if you starting out the 270wsm in a tikka is a notorious recoil mule. i hope this helps, good luck
People have different tolerance I guess... Mine is quite comfortable and easy on the shoulder compared to the 300 rum or 300 wm....I find the 270 wsm recoil slightly greater than a 30-06...
Old 08-27-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddjler View Post
Maybe your rifle doesn't fit you properly? I also have a T-3 in 270 WSM, and I don't find the recoil all that much different than my M700 30-06.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:43 PM

We have both calibers in our moose camp and they've both filled the freezer.

I shoot the .308 and my buddy the .270 short. They're both great rounds and either one will do you fine.

Most of our shots are under 200 yards and both rounds are excellent.

The .270 with reach out further, but with some practice and the right loads so can the .308.

Hell, buy both. You won't regret it.

But............ a 30-06 is joining our camp this year so we'll have to see what it says. We'll see if a 30-06 has enough stink to take a moose .
Old 08-27-2013, 04:20 PM

sorry i didn`t want to start a debate, buttttt what the hey my tolerence is probably above average, im the guy that if no one else will shoot it i will, 458`s, i voluntered to sight in my buddies 460 weatherby just for kicks. yes i do think that most tikka`s kick like mules, at that matter most of the people that shoot t-3 lites in the mag calibers think they kick like mules. thanks have a nice day
Old 08-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
Amen to that ^ ... and Gawd bless you

Mac
X2, I use a 6.5/284 Norma but my alternate is always a 3006. Had it from my 17th birthday and is always did the job. 165gr Hornady SST 57 grains IMR4350 with WLR primers. Things tend to fall down fast.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I think ammo avialabililty is important, but you are right, not for the reason of being able to find it in any local hardware store or Walmart. I think it's important for a couple other reasons:

1. If you don't handload, you want a number of choices available as you search for ammo that your gun likes. Do ALL Weatherby rifles like weatherby ammo? If not, what the heck do you do? Nice to have a few choices.

2. Even if you shop at a big place like Bass Pro or WSS for some calibers there just isn't much on the shelf, especially these days. IF you shoot 30-06 or .270 you are pretty much assured that you are going to have a number of reasonably-priced choices.
Include the .308, and I say 'Amen' to that ^

Mac
Old 08-27-2013, 10:24 PM

I agree that the tikka t3 lite rifles do seem to kick quite a bit more than same caliber in comparable rifles. I've had 2 of them, and got rid of both. Although they are nice rifles with smooth bolts, it wouldn't be my first choice unless it was in a 223 or similar caliber. Just my 2 cents

Tags
.308, 270, tikka, wsm