Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-31-2015, 12:19 PM

I would also be very happy to pay more for my fishing licence. Maybe there is better way.

Knowing that (my extra money) it would go directly into more enforcement, better funding for studies and better decisions of stocking plans would be a gamble knowing how our government fails at properly distributing the funds. Your extra cash could really go anywhere ......

Maybe the licence cost stays where it is ..... and another, say $30, goes DIRECTLY to enforcement, research and stocking would satisfy me.

Dumping extra money into the coffers, without having a say how this money is distributed, would likely result in very little of the extra cash going to where we want it to go.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:35 PM
Gone Hunting

Bass and perch and walleye. Stock them all.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-31-2015, 12:40 PM

Smile

Wow this thread has generated a lot of responses! So I'm going to put my 2 cents in as well and say that I'm with the guy who said that adding more species of fish into our waters would take the pressure off the native ones that seem to be under a lot of pressure these days. I think having more pan fish like sunfish, crappies, and for sure more perch would be great. Everybody has their perch "honey holes" under lock and key and one has to use the crystal ball to find them so we can catch a few miserable little ones! They are great fish for our little kids to catch. And for us big kids too!
Old 01-31-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
The real issue is the lack of funding. Since license costs and revenues from fines now goes into general revenue, unfortunately paying more for a license does not equal more money for stocking and/or enforcement. I don't have the exact numbers at my fingertips, but I looked it up a few months ago and the budget for SRD has been cut by more than 50% over the past 4-5 years.

Pretty apparent what the real issue is, IMO. A government that does not care about wildlife management.
While I have heard similar. You don't think that if our fisheries resource was generating 3-4x the $, there wouldn't be more funds available to SRD?

We do live in Alberta, and you might be entirely correct. Raising license fees might not do a damn thing. However there a quite a few promising projects that SRD has been working on and some things look to be going in the right direction, and we do have a couple of stocked trout fisheries that are phenomenal. You just dont hear about them.

We're still limited by funding however. The only way that will change, is if we as anglers and outdoorsmen gather together put pressure on the powers that be, to change things. However they dont give a damn if they only get 100 letters. Its simply not enough.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
No. Let them figure out how to manage our native species before they put their effort and limited funds into non native species!
I would suggest that the system must evolve to increase management strategies, enforcement and diversity. More funding is needed. Continuing with a closed minded point of view will only continue the spiral downward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Both of these native species are in serious risk of extirpation due to not native species being introduced into their native watersheds.
Agreed, yet there are many closed system ponds in Alberta that have the sustainability for additional sport fish species. BC has bass & sunfish in selected lakes that are not linked to other watersheds, providing a different recreational angling opportunity, taking some of the pressure off of existing native populations.

I do not want our threatened species fighting a more difficult battle than they already are fighting. Westslope Cutthroat do not need more competition, this risk is mitigated with successful management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Through the years there have been many attempts to stock several different lakes. Reading through the Altas of Alberta lakes there has been alot of species indroduced unsuccessfully since 1900.

Kokanee, bass, atlantic salmon, arctic char, the cisco and several other species were introduced as far back as 1901. Lots of different lakes and most were unsuccessful.
You are correct, several species were stocked with limited success. However, biologists understand the science of ecology and fish mortality more now than ever before. Simply because attempts were made in the past, does not mean we should refrain from trying again utilizing current knowledge and techniques.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:03 PM

I would prefer a proper slot size on our fish. Like, Sask., or Ontario
Old 01-31-2015, 01:14 PM
Gone Hunting

So license fees should go up.

Is this because only fishermen should pay the bills?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-31-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwrek View Post
I would prefer a proper slot size on our fish. Like, Sask., or Ontario
Definitely not this as our fisheries cannot support it. Comparing apples to oranges.

With the pending budget cuts, stocking will be reduced I would assume.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Is this because only fishermen should pay the bills?
With the financial resources present in Alberta, it is embarrassing that our fish and wildlife management teams are so poorly underfunded.

I agree that additional revenue could be garnered from a license cost increase and anglers must shoulder some of the financial assistance, Alberta's fish and wildlife resources deserve a more prominent slice of the pie.

With the number of wealthy residents in Alberta who spend in excess to travel outside the province in search of better fishing and hunting opportunities, many of those dollars could feasibly be spent here if we had more desirable opportunities within the borders of Alberta.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:10 PM

Another con may be that by stocking a lot more lakes with fish is that our already understaffed fish and feathers officers will be spread out that much more with a bunch of new lakes to try and patrol. We would need more officers(we already need more now), or I can see poaching being a bigger issue than it is now....if the govt would double the current officers, I could see adding fishable lakes.... Adding more lakes and not adding officers would make poachers more brazen with the unlikelyhood of ever running into an officer
Old 01-31-2015, 04:27 PM

Funny that most comments in this thread state that they would like higher fees etc... The problem is that the Gov. will put this extra income into general revenue rather than into the resorce that is generating the $. All poaching fines and tickets should go into the resorce and not general revenue. Only gonna get worse with the Gov. blaming all short falls on the low cost of oil now. If we had a world class fishery and wildlife, wouldn't the torisim industry see major benifits as well as the rest of us benifit from this? Stock more of every fish possible and reap the benifits. JMO. Raise fees, increace fines, but make sure the $ go where they should and not to the general funds for the Gov to spend on them selfs.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwrek View Post
I would prefer the same amount of water bodies in Alberta. Like, Sask., or Ontario has
Fixed your post for you.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Funny that most comments in this thread state that they would like higher fees etc... The problem is that the Gov. will put this extra income into general revenue rather than into the resorce that is generating the $. All poaching fines and tickets should go into the resorce and not general revenue. Only gonna get worse with the Gov. blaming all short falls on the low cost of oil now. If we had a world class fishery and wildlife, wouldn't the torisim industry see major benifits as well as the rest of us benifit from this? Stock more of every fish possible and reap the benifits. JMO. Raise fees, increace fines, but make sure the $ go where they should and not to the general funds for the Gov to spend on them selfs.
Unfortunately I agree with you. I wish there was a way we could make sure the money we put into our past time actually went there.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:23 PM

A big problem with our provincial fish stocking program is we have a large population of fish eating birds that consume alot of fish. One adult cormorant eats up to 1.4 lbs. of fish a day.

The double crested cormorant was endangered in Alberta in the 70's. In 2005 just within a 45 km. radius of Lac La Biche there were over 8000 nesting pairs producing 1.5 chicks per nest. so thats 16000 adults and 12000 juveniles. 28000
birds eating even 1 lb. of fish per day is 14 tons of fish per day. As much as 40% of a cormorants diet can be yellow perch, trout and other game fish. 40% of 28000 is 16800. So potential for 8 tons of game and pan fish eaten daily. Just in this 45 km. radius in lakeland country.

I'm not sure how much cormorants, pelicans, gulls, osprey, etc., influence a provincial fishery but it has to be affecting at least 20% of stocked fish.

You can put more money and fish into the stocking program but the bird population would probably just increase.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 01-31-2015 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
A big problem with our provincial fish stocking program is we have a large population of fish eating birds that consume alot of fish. One adult cormorant eats up to 1.4 lbs. of fish a day.

The double crested cormorant was endangered in Alberta in the 70's. In 2005 just within a 45 km. radius of Lac La Biche there were over 8000 nesting pairs producing 1.5 chicks per nest. so thats 16000 adults and 12000 juveniles. 28000
birds eating even 1 lb. of fish per day is 14 tons of fish per day. As much as 40% of a cormorants diet can be yellow perch, trout and other game fish. 40% of 28000 is 16800. So potential for 8 tons of game and pan fish eaten daily. Just in this 45 km. radius in lakeland country.

I'm not sure how much cormorants, pelicans, gulls, osprey, etc., influence a provincial fishery but it has to be affecting at least 20% of stocked fish.

You can put more money and fish into the stocking program but the bird population would probably just increase.
We should bring some cormorants out to Pigeon, St.Anne and Wabamun and train them to eat walleye !!!!! sorry couldn't resist .....
Old 02-01-2015, 02:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Same guys who want more fish stocked are the same guys who bitch about license costs going up and what you most don't realize, is keeping 5 6" trout out of a stocked pond is costing SRD more then growing the fewer fish naturally once they've been put in. Doing ourselves more harm then good by wasting the little money that SRD does have, by whacking all the the "catchables" months after they've been put in.

Not necessarily saying thats the case in montana, but BC freshwater is double, almost triple (with steelhead stamp) our license costs here. Even Saskatchewan's trout fisheries are a world ahead of Alberta's as far as stocked fisheries go. I gladly pay the 65 dollars it is for an annual in sask and the 80-100 it is for the BC license. The fisheries are simply better, because they have more $ at their disposal. The one thing Alberta is limited to, is the fish sustaining water bodies (deep enough to over winter fish through our harsh winters) that other provinces have. Its tough to compete with other provinces. However that is "easily" fixed should they decide to up license costs.

There is some pretty phenomenal trout fisheries 3-5 hours east from Edmonton, and 5-6 hours west. Its absolutely ridiculous how crossing the border is the difference maker.

3 things that need to be changed.

1. Our stocked trout fisheries need to have their limits dropped, so that our fish can grow bigger and the people who want to keep fish, can keep fewer bigger fish. (Perhaps from 5 -> 3 or even 2 over/under a certain size so that a real meal can be had by those wanting muddy tasting trout)

2. License costs need to go up, in order to support further stocking and lake management (aeration in our sloughs).

Only if more of the money goes directly to our fisheries, and not just a year here or there, but a long term commitment to stock every year, it is what other provinces have done, and still do to maintain and enhance their fisheries, its called COMMITMENT.

3. Coupled with license costs going up. More enforcement is needed so that lakes will be more closely monitored, and so people will follow rules in our stocked fisheries and our "wild" fisheries.

I would add one more "need" to the list and that is the need to implement into the existing system a method to accurately identify all the anglers in the province. This would include seniors and kids, not a regular priced licence, but something? IMO there is no possible way to manage our fisheries without knowing how many anglers there are using it.
You could probably jump on me and call me out saying I'm just another fly fisher who is solely catch and release minded, but that is not entirely true. There is definitely a place for sustainable catch and keep fisheries in our province, but our fisheries and SRD need more help than they're getting.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:56 AM

Prussian-Crusian Carp...oh wait someone already took care of that!!
Old 02-01-2015, 05:45 AM

Quote:
We should bring some cormorants out to Pigeon, St.Anne and Wabamun and train them to eat walleye !!!!! sorry couldn't resist .....
Enough cormorants at Wabamun already. Like to see a few hundred less!
Old 02-01-2015, 10:47 PM

What about artificial lakes that have no flowing water leading into or out of the water body?

It sure would be a nice change for a new angler to pursue a different species at local stocked trout ponds. Sunfish, bluegill and crappie are fairly hardy species that could provide excellent angling opportunities at put and take lakes that aren't in close proximity to a native watershed.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
What about artificial lakes that have no flowing water leading into or out of the water body?

It sure would be a nice change for a new angler to pursue a different species at local stocked trout ponds. Sunfish, bluegill and crappie are fairly hardy species that could provide excellent angling opportunities at put and take lakes that aren't in close proximity to a native watershed.
Bucket brigade.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:58 AM

I haven't really kept up with much of the discussion ensuing, but I'd like to add that I think some trout hybrids should be stoked in some pothole lakes, as done in Saskatchewan. Although it's only 4-5 hours to some great splake and tiger lakes just across the AB/SK border, a lake with tiger trout in closer proximity to Edmonton would be a nice switch from all those identical ******ing rainbow trout ponds. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.
I am aware it comes down to funding though. I would genuinely be okay with price of a fishing licence exceeding 70 dollars if it allowed us to restore more damaged fisheries, recruit more COs, and diversify the "pothole lake" selection.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:25 AM

i would also pay more for a license if it meant the money went back into the fisheries, actually I should say I would support the idea of paying more, regardless of cost I will buy a fishing Lisence every year. I wonder though would we lose revenue if a good number of people who are not avid anglers decided that 50 or 80 dollars was a crazy price and decided against purchasing a lisence where they normally would have bought one? I know a few people that think it's to expensive at its current rate, where I personally couldn't care less what it's costs because I fish every opportunity I have. As for species I'd like to see, I actually am fairly happy with what we have I just wish there was more closer to Edmonton, tiger trout would be cool, and sunfish/pumpkinseed whatever you want to call them would be a fun addition to some of the little potholes.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
The real issue is the lack of funding. Since license costs and revenues from fines now goes into general revenue, unfortunately paying more for a license does not equal more money for stocking and/or enforcement. I don't have the exact numbers at my fingertips, but I looked it up a few months ago and the budget for SRD has been cut by more than 50% over the past 4-5 years.

Pretty apparent what the real issue is, IMO. A government that does not care about wildlife management.
x2
Old 10-17-2015, 11:50 PM

It would be nice but the change might harm our current fish. They should make isolated ponds and bring in new fish.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:04 AM
Banned

I'd pay $100 a year for a license, but I want all new lakes as trophy lakes only. Enough of the put and take guys. We can build them lakes on the eastern praries. We should be able to have all sorts of species here, have them in private monitored areas so the bucket guys can't mess it up.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:57 AM

I'd like to see an increase in licences and fines. I have the privilege to fish all season for less then what a round of golf or a lift ticket costs. Granted only if the money was used to improve and conserve.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAMxr View Post
I'd like to see an increase in licences and fines. I have the privilege to fish all season for less then what a round of golf or a lift ticket costs. Granted only if the money was used to improve and conserve.
Fines definitely need to go up, so tired of seeing these scumbags taking home 100's of fish and getting a slap on the wrist.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:03 AM

Fines can go as high as you like but mean nothing without enforcement.

Incentivize RAP and more F&W officers is where the money should be spent IMO.

More eyes on the bad guys and more trophies for the rest of us.

Then if we want more species (BASS!!! in the east) look to raise lic fees.

Cheers.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:06 PM

licenses should go up for sure. But the big one is fines!!! I was out at PCR about two years ago just off shore. Packed up and headed to the truck and FW rolled up and wanted to check my license and gear. Everything was good but he said the guy before me had 19 walleye he was going to take home. Not sure if he got ticketed but you'd think that would be full confiscation even his car should be the govs now in my opinion.
Harsh....but would he ever do it again??

Actually probably people aren't bright
Old 10-18-2015, 11:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
10-15 years ago all of us were whining about the lack of walleye ..... so the SRD went hard on stocking walleye .....

Now we are complaining about the amount of Walleye we are stocking and the damage it's doing to Pigeon, St.Anne, Wabamun etc....

I'm not innocent either ..... lol ..... I might have been whining too ....

Poor SRD can't do anything right despite itself !!!!
Actually there was virtually no walleye stocked in the province from about 1999 to 2006, and since then they stock about 2 or maybe 3 lakes a year. SRD has never went hard on stocking walleye to my knowledge.

What they did was stop the retention of walleye for about 10 years or more on many lakes......but only after many of them had almost collapsed already. That was their management plan, close fisheries, simple for them and basically cost nothing. During that time enforcement was also reduced to such levels, that is was almost non-existent. That was the PC commitment to walleye in this province.