Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-25-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Next year Im hoping to do a fish/camp trip down the Babine river, a few world class lodges on there and theres very limited access. Hence why I want to run it with a jet and make camp in the bush at night for a few days.
Be VERY bear aware on the Babine. lots of grizzlies. In some sections you can fish within a few hundred meters of them and have no problems, in others they'll charge. great river though.

I forgot there's actually 5 launches for access to the Morice. There's also Morice Lake, which is a sight to behold with a nice campsite. However since the gov't doesn't maintain roads anymore bouncing a boat down the last 7km to get in might not be the greatest thing.
One good thing about the NDP out there was they kept roads to rec sites maintained. Liberals stopped that and left it to the logging contractors. So if there's no active logging or hauling, there hasn't been a grader down it since before the last loads of spring decking went out, in that area it's been over a decade.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 09-26-2015, 09:13 AM

Oh I'm definetly bear aware, I'm very cautious when in bear country and tenting. I have had lots of bear encounters over the years working. Are any of the motive rive launches or lake blocked by the natives blockade south of Houston?
Old 09-27-2015, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Oh I'm definetly bear aware, I'm very cautious when in bear country and tenting. I have had lots of bear encounters over the years working. Are any of the motive rive launches or lake blocked by the natives blockade south of Houston?
That's Wet'su'weten territory and under treaty IIRC. There is a very small native community in Houston, a handful of families and they have a minimal presences as far as I know. there's far more in the Burns Lake area or north of Smithers.

A lot of the access there has deteriorated since the NDP got the boot. Launches are in a sad state at some primo lakes, roads are crap, rec sites might see the contractor out every other week. I haven't been there in 5 years, but that's my old back yard.

I can give you lakes where cutties will jump out of the water to hit a lure hanging over the side of the boat, rainbows as silver as a new chrome bumper or as speckled and colorful as you could imagine, Lakers over 25#, even a lake or two you can get some kokanee if you're lucky. just a pm away.

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 09-28-2015, 02:05 AM

Well 3 1/2 shifts of work and oh my god weather looks to be shaping up in Terrace! cross you fingers anyone....
Old 09-28-2015, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterPin View Post
Well 3 1/2 shifts of work and oh my god weather looks to be shaping up in Terrace! cross you fingers anyone....
I'm jealous.

good luck, tight line, and keep your tip up.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
That's Wet'su'weten territory and under treaty IIRC. There is a very small native community in Houston, a handful of families and they have a minimal presences as far as I know. there's far more in the Burns Lake area or north of Smithers.

A lot of the access there has deteriorated since the NDP got the boot. Launches are in a sad state at some primo lakes, roads are crap, rec sites might see the contractor out every other week. I haven't been there in 5 years, but that's my old back yard.

I can give you lakes where cutties will jump out of the water to hit a lure hanging over the side of the boat, rainbows as silver as a new chrome bumper or as speckled and colorful as you could imagine, Lakers over 25#, even a lake or two you can get some kokanee if you're lucky. just a pm away.
Awesome thanks. I will be spending most of my time north of hwy 16 up towards middle river and over towards Babine lake.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterPin View Post
Nice, I may be heading to Smithers for work in just over a week.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Awesome thanks. I will be spending most of my time north of hwy 16 up towards middle river and over towards Babine lake.
Not overly familiar with that area, but if you go south of Houston I know some great spots with minimal pressure.

Babine lake is good, if you know where to go and when. lots of the fish are full of worms though.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Not overly familiar with that area, but if you go south of Houston I know some great spots with minimal pressure.

Babine lake is good, if you know where to go and when. lots of the fish are full of worms though.
Im not to worried if they have worms, it will be catch and release. Will be fishing Rainbow alley to fill some time but Ive always wanted to catch steelhead and since catching a couple last spring, ive been hooked on them.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:45 AM

Okay CenterPin where are the pics?

Old 10-09-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Okay CenterPin where are the pics?
X2 on that one!!!
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 10-09-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer99 View Post
X2 on that one!!!
X3. Im heading out to that country on the 20th for some fishing...ahhh I mean work....
Old 10-09-2015, 08:18 PM

Go big! Sturgeon I mean. Either sounds like and awesome trip but the allure of landing a sturgeon makes me want to go now!!!
Old 10-10-2015, 08:59 AM

FYI guys it is possible to catch sturgeon in the NW of BC. they're not just limited to the lower mainland.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:06 PM

Looks like I am heading to Smithers for work on the the 20th and should have about a week of work there, then Im taking 2 or 3 days to steelhead fish. Cant effin wait.