Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-16-2015, 06:09 PM

Default Close call at CVR

Was out at CVR on Monday and was up at the north end of lake (beautiful day) just before it heads west to the colony. Made it up to where I like to try my luck, caught a couple and moved a short distance at a time hoping to stay at a certain depth, 6 to 9 fow . Kept catching a few more. There were some other boats around but not too close. I know it can get shallow in that area and that's why I keep an eye on my sonar (BIG TIME). Just putting along (moving somewhat east and south) and noticed 6 ft. 5-4-3 and yes 2 ft. Put engine in slow reverse lifted trim, looked out the starboard and front and seen a boulder 1 ft. below the water. At least 6 ft. across. Just looking to take your leg of engine or maybe ripping a hole in your hull. Way too close. That 150 hp could have cost a bundle. Just in case some don't know be really carefull in all sections of lake. Just when you think it's ok to be in the middle at a certain point the bottom comes up to the top. There has been other posts before about the west and the east sides of this lake but I didn't think that ledge was so shallow in the middle. And no it has not been my first time to CVR. But finding that boulder in the middle of nowhere. That was a first. Oh ya, all pike no walleye biggest around 6 lb. caught by my lady friend. 14 for the 5 hrs out
Old 09-16-2015, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the warning
Old 09-16-2015, 07:38 PM

Did you mark it? Can you share the GPS coords?
Old 09-16-2015, 07:43 PM

Years ago there were buoys marking these spots, some bozo'z took upon themselves to steal em or something so now it is just boater beware.

I am thinking if someone or some of us were to contact the EID they would have no problem supplying the proper buoys to mark these very dangerous area's on the lake.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
I am thinking if someone or some of us were to contact the EID they would have no problem supplying the proper buoys to mark these very dangerous area's on the lake.
In my experience you'll have a VERY hard time getting anyone to officially supply buoys, let alone actually mark the hazards, due to liability issues.

There's a well known rock on Last Mountain that takes out 3-4 boats a year, and no one will touch marking it for that reason. The RCMP even advised the village and the residents around the rock not to mark it in any way.

It's absolutely crazy, but that's the world we live in now.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:46 AM

I do have a point marked on my gps. I will be out there again this weekend and will try to confirm way point marking.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:23 AM

I suggest getting the ifish Alberta app. You can put a hazard marker on the map. I would appreciate that. I'm heading there next week for the 2nd time
Old 09-17-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
I suggest getting the ifish Alberta app. You can put a hazard marker on the map. I would appreciate that. I'm heading there next week for the 2nd time
Problem with that is ya need a cell phone to get apps. I'm old school will not give in to the money grab or being able to be tracked. One option could be if I get a chance I could try and mark on the lake map at the campground the approx. area to avoid. I think it might be by the fish cleaning station. If I post the co-ordinates and you have GPS on your phone that might work.Sorry best I can do for now. If you go flying north on the lake when you see 7 ft. in the middle I SLOW DOWN
Old 09-17-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Problem with that is ya need a cell phone to get apps. I'm old school will not give in to the money grab or being able to be tracked. One option could be if I get a chance I could try and mark on the lake map at the campground the approx. area to avoid. I think it might be by the fish cleaning station. If I post the co-ordinates and you have GPS on your phone that might work.Sorry best I can do for now. If you go flying north on the lake when you see 7 ft. in the middle I SLOW DOWN
I appreciate that. It would be awesome if you marked it at the campground map
Old 09-17-2015, 12:17 PM

Also remember this lake is an irritation reservoir. Levels vary greatly from week to week. Exact path you travel one week may have rock exposed next trip. Risks in everything we do. But the benefits of fishing out weigh the what ifs!
Old 09-17-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Years ago there were buoys marking these spots, some bozo'z took upon themselves to steal em or something so now it is just boater beware.

Growing up on a lake we used to have old white javex bottles marking spots like these rocks or sunken islands. I think it was just the friendly boaters that put them out there tied off to a cinder block.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancedan View Post
Growing up on a lake we used to have old white javex bottles marking spots like these rocks or sunken islands. I think it was just the friendly boaters that put them out there tied off to a cinder block.
Actually was thinking of that. I guess put at least 10ft. of rope and let it settle for lake fluctuation. Got to find cinder block and white bottle or red. I will see what I can come up with on the weekend. Will be there in my 17ft. mostly brown colored Sylvan Pro Fish. That might be the the only thing PRO on the boat. When I get the down riggers out and two people fishing with the net ready we sure look like we know what were doing, on some lakes. Give-um no slack LOL
Old 09-17-2015, 03:50 PM

Careful putting things out there you might get charged with littering lol. Sorry for my ignorance but what does cvr stand for? Lol
Old 09-17-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
Careful putting things out there you might get charged with littering lol. Sorry for my ignorance but what does cvr stand for? Lol
Crawling Valley Reservoir
Old 09-18-2015, 04:48 PM

Unrelated, but I was fishing the spillway at CVR with my dad and saw the biggest pike I've ever seen in person. My dad was fighting a smallish (17in) walleye when this massive shadow started chasing the walleye around. Awesome thing to witness.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:12 PM

I've hit bottom on that reservoir a few times. Low speed, small boat so no real damage, but whoa man do you have to pay attention out there! I've seen my depth finder go from 20 ft to 2 in about 5 seconds.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
Unrelated, but I was fishing the spillway at CVR with my dad and saw the biggest pike I've ever seen in person. My dad was fighting a smallish (17in) walleye when this massive shadow started chasing the walleye around. Awesome thing to witness.
I saw (seen) that fish in the spring. Huge pike came after my spoon. Estimated 25-30lbs.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuanworm View Post
I saw (seen) that fish in the spring. Huge pike came after my spoon. Estimated 25-30lbs.
That would be a good weight guess for the one I saw as well.