Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-19-2017, 04:53 PM

Default Electric Augers

I've been looking into augers, was torn between electric and propane and am leaning towards electric. Question. Does anyone have any knowledge of the new Trophy Strike electric at Cabelas (online)?
Old 08-19-2017, 05:58 PM

Can't help you with the Trophy Strike, but have lots of good things to say about the Ion.

As with any battery in winter, keeping it warm is key to longevity and performance. Using an insulated lunch bag and a pair of hot hands keeps the 40V Ion battery happily ripping through up to 100' of ice (think 50 holes in 2ft ice).

Great customer service experience too, the original charger had a broken LED out of the box (could not tell when battery was fully charged). Customer service couriered a replacement within days, and I was able to keep the old one.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:37 PM
Banned

I got an Ion last year and I am pretty impressed with it. Had a gas before for 20 years, much nicer with the electric, especially in the ice shack.

Not familiar with the Trophy Strike, but with the power of the Electrics today I would definitely go with the electric.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:39 PM

Took a peek at the Trophy Strike, it's a bit heavier than the Ion, but only a few lbs. The newest Ion X runs at 5amp, as opposed to the 2amp Trophy, so that could be an important consideration. C-tire carries the Ion, price is the same.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:57 PM

Default Trophy Strike 120V

Found this thread from last year. Just used mine today chasing Perch North of Edmonton. So far very impressed. Cuts fast and quiet. Drilled 10 holes in 13" of ice and battery never moved off full charge. It only took 10 to 15 minutes to charge back at home. One big difference compared to my old jiffy 30 gas was how easy it cut through the bottom of the ice. No slowing down or hesitation as with the gas unit. Will be nice to use in the shack this year. Centering blade works slick and does not budge from starting point. Battery comes with an insulated case and unit has an extension. Impressed right out of the box. Dogfish
Old 01-11-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
Found this thread from last year. Just used mine today chasing Perch North of Edmonton. So far very impressed. Cuts fast and quiet. Drilled 10 holes in 13" of ice and battery never moved off full charge. It only took 10 to 15 minutes to charge back at home. One big difference compared to my old jiffy 30 gas was how easy it cut through the bottom of the ice. No slowing down or hesitation as with the gas unit. Will be nice to use in the shack this year. Centering blade works slick and does not budge from starting point. Battery comes with an insulated case and unit has an extension. Impressed right out of the box. Dogfish
What make do you have?

BW
Old 01-11-2019, 06:25 PM

Default Trophy Strike 120V

As the title reads. Trophy Strike 120 8" model.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:36 PM

Necro-Post alert, lol.

Good to hear, I’d love to have an electric. I’ve read the batteries have to be somewhat warm, and I know lithium batteries don’t like the cold. Not like it would that hard to keep a battery out of the cold.
There’s probably a few scenarios where an electric wouldn’t be the auger to bring, like a long trip without a power source. Or maybe if you planned on drilling 100 holes. Can’t say I’ve ever considered being in either scenario.
I wondered what a 40V Dewalt hammer drill would work like on the ice. I’m sure it would work for most of my trips.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:47 PM

As far as charging I would use the inverter in my truck if I really needed to. I never drilled 100 holes with my gas auger. Might be an issue if you are a run and gun type. When camping in the summer and no power I charge my Ridgid 18 V batteries and back up battery pack while driving.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
As the title reads. Trophy Strike 120 8" model.
Thanks. Didn’t even see that. Sorry

BW
Old 01-11-2019, 07:27 PM

I have had the strikemaster elstric for two years now. Love it
Old 01-11-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Thanks. Didn’t even see that. Sorry

BW
No worries it just made me go back and look at my post that's all. Cheers Dogfish
Old 01-13-2019, 10:10 AM

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/99256...-auger-battery

This might be applicable to this thread, replacement batteries for the trophy strike augers are 60% off right now.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/99256...-auger-battery

This might be applicable to this thread, replacement batteries for the trophy strike augers are 60% off right now.

That is a battery for a strikemaster auger not a trophy strike. 2 different brands.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:52 PM

But thanks chief16. I did not know strikemaster batteries were on sale until I read this thread. Just finished ordering one. Not that I needed one but at this price you can’t go wrong
Old 01-13-2019, 05:46 PM

got a 12 foot lund boat on a trailer on that was put out for take it or leave it week in my town a few years back, Note said it had a hole in it and did not float. Put a new plug in and gave it a good cleaning and a paint job and is still floating Today!!!
Old 01-13-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwade View Post
got a 12 foot lund boat on a trailer on that was put out for take it or leave it week in my town a few years back, Note said it had a hole in it and did not float. Put a new plug in and gave it a good cleaning and a paint job and is still floating Today!!!
wrong post!!