Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-20-2017, 06:48 PM

Talking Fishing for Tuna Dana Point, Catalina Island, San Diego- looking for airline coolers

I have been invited to go get some Tuna and Dorado in September, just wondering if anyone from here has ever been?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-29-2017, 12:19 PM

Thumbs up

2 of us from here have booked the flight and hotels, fishing 80 degree salt in California Sept 9-12.

I am wondering if anyone around here or Edmonton/Red Deer has one or 2 of those styrofoam coolers with the cardboard box over it that is made for flight that they would lend or sell us? I know Lonewolf has a couple, but he is too far south. The plan is to put all clothes and a duffel bag into it, use it that way for the trip there and for fish on the way back.

I am not having a lot of luck finding sportfish processing in LA area, am hoping my friend down there has better luck.

Pics to follow if anyone wants.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-29-2017, 12:43 PM

Sounds like an awesome trip. I'd like to see some pics. Please keep this updated.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:53 PM
AO Sponsor

Haven't done Cali but we went for yellowfin and dorado down on the Baja... Was a great time! Tons of action.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:37 PM

Sorry to Ken, slight derail. But yes, please keep us updated on your September trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Haven't done Cali but we went for yellowfin and dorado down on the Baja... Was a great time! Tons of action.
In interested in yellowfin and dorado. Could you let me know if you went with a guide and what outfit? Thanks!
Old 08-29-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
2 of us from here have booked the flight and hotels, fishing 80 degree salt in California Sept 9-12.

I am wondering if anyone around here or Edmonton/Red Deer has one or 2 of those styrofoam coolers with the cardboard box over it that is made for flight that they would lend or sell us? I know Lonewolf has a couple, but he is too far south. The plan is to put all clothes and a duffel bag into it, use it that way for the trip there and for fish on the way back.

I am not having a lot of luck finding sportfish processing in LA area, am hoping my friend down there has better luck.

Pics to follow if anyone wants.
this may sound strange but if you go behind the cha for tea palace 17512 stoney plain rd in their dumpster out back you cand find the cooler they import lot of seafood i have gotten quite a few styrofoam coolers from there.

mack
Old 08-31-2017, 07:30 AM

Default box cooler

I have an insulated box cooler approved for air travel that we just used to come home from mexico with.It kept 50lbs of fish frozen for 12hrs no prob,you can have it.I'm in north red deer.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybuckhunter View Post
I have an insulated box cooler approved for air travel that we just used to come home from mexico with.It kept 50lbs of fish frozen for 12hrs no prob,you can have it.I'm in north red deer.
The guy going with me is in red deer too, can you pm me your #? We will get it back to you. Thank you so much!

Old 09-02-2017, 09:17 PM

Thanks Buddy, Robb is away until Monday but I gave him your #.

Mack- thanks, I have been checking with the local grocery stores.

Sure could use 1 more if possible.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:57 PM

Check the pet stores that sell fish on town MR Pets and PetPad . I used to get them from the Reef Shoppe almost every trip up there, he's closed down now, but I bet freshwater fish come in the same type coolers as the saltwater stuff.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 09-05-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Check the pet stores that sell fish on town MR Pets and PetPad . I used to get them from the Reef Shoppe almost every trip up there, he's closed down now, but I bet freshwater fish come in the same type coolers as the saltwater stuff.
Will do!

2 more days!!!

Old 09-07-2017, 07:00 AM
AO Sponsor

You are going to have to post a whack of pictures on this one Ken!

Please???
Old 09-07-2017, 10:17 AM

Thumbs up

Final countdown is on!

Latest reports are insane;

the big boat we are going out on caught 60 BLUEFIN tuna yesterday over 100 lbs, the best was over 160! And you keep 100% of what you catch! I am taking heavy reels for my friend that is taking us out day 1 and 2, he said he has nothing heavy enough for bluefin. I think the Hali gear should be fine.

Oh, this is going to be a bad thing. I may leave my boat there for the summer and fly back and forth!!!

I am hoping to run out of room on the sd cards.