Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-05-2017, 10:05 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Another pic

image.jpg

Got out fished too....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-05-2017, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Attachment 136311

Got out fished too....
Nice catch!! You did well!!

I'll be glad when work quits getting in the way of open water fishing. I work a 7/7 rotation but my cross shift is on 3 weeks vacation so it might be the end of August before I can get on the water again. Brand new boat ordered in March arrived in April and has seen an entire 5 hours on the water to date! But it beats the alternative being out of work?! I think?!! Lol
Old 08-05-2017, 02:53 PM

It's crazy. Kids and I have 65 exact count (no bs ) so far 4 over biggest 21lbs. It's 251 now , started at 845. Jigs. Bait. Shallower than expected !
Old 08-05-2017, 05:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamprotz View Post
It's crazy. Kids and I have 65 exact count (no bs ) so far 4 over biggest 21lbs. It's 251 now , started at 845. Jigs. Bait. Shallower than expected !
Shallower doesn't surprise me right now. Hasn't been any real warm weather to warm the surface waters and get them mixing in the wind. A week ago today surface temp showed 63F on my Lowrance in a few feet of water at the launch and thats in the shallows!! That lake is almost as cold on the surface in mid summer as Lake Superior!!
Old 08-05-2017, 09:54 PM

Call me a liar , ended day at 6pm , total count , 83 !! Insane. 73 ft. Wind made it tough in the afternoon , definitely weren't as many fish off the edges. Only 4 over but daughters biggest scaled 21lbs. It was crazy , lost count of doubles and had 3 triples. Never before and probably never again. Had to blow a trailer tire on the way home just to balance the universe !!
Old 08-06-2017, 08:42 AM

Congrats 83 lakers in a day . This catch and release is paying off for lakers under 75 cm.
I hope one day you will be landing 83 lakers over 75 cm.
But when this happens I hope they give every one tags so the lake does not get fished out .
2 or 3 tags a year is plenty enough .
Don't you agree.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:01 AM

All went back , it was completely insane, kids are sore , I'm sore , less than 10 fish were caught suspended the rest were on bottom. We had a lull around 1pm when we shifted out deeper. Got backed on spot and the craziness started again. When the storm rolled over town and wind picked up it slowed again. Each time we readjusted the wind seemed to shift to move us deeper. Caught a few deeper but 73-76 was THE depth. And boaters license should include passing a boat launch use practical exam. Nuff said !
Old 08-06-2017, 09:34 AM

http://photobucket.com/user/teamprot..._4343.png.html
Old 08-06-2017, 09:37 AM

Fought with posting pics and looks like I lost. Sons fish from July 23 and daughters from aug 5. Looks my my entire album went
Old 08-06-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
All went back , it was completely insane, kids are sore , I'm sore , less than 10 fish were caught suspended the rest were on bottom. We had a lull around 1pm when we shifted out deeper. Got backed on spot and the craziness started again. When the storm rolled over town and wind picked up it slowed again. Each time we readjusted the wind seemed to shift to move us deeper. Caught a few deeper but 73-76 was THE depth. And boaters license should include passing a boat launch use practical exam. Nuff said !
Yup if you launch at the provincial launch or in the marina it can be entertaining to say the least.

Got blown off a lake yesterday, coming in hot, storm on our butts, families swimming at the dock blocking us and others...once they got the point we all helped each other get the boats on the trailers so it all turned out ok!

Oh well long wk-end soon the rug rats are in school and the lakes gets real nice and quit

Old 08-06-2017, 10:20 AM

I was pretty much by myself , only one guy rigged remotely close to my anchor. Watched everyone headed east. Was glad the storm headed north/ northwest , we handled the wind but it's a pain when it keeps shifting. If I can find a 215/75r14 spare today we'll head out tomorrow again. Gotta catch them when they are biting
Old 08-06-2017, 11:39 AM

The wife and I caught 81 in two and a half days trolling. Released 80 of them. They are very healthy and provide a fantastic fight. Most of them looked like they swallowed a football. If you have the chance go you'll love it.
Doug
Old 08-06-2017, 12:31 PM
Banned

Fantastic fishing to be sure! Congratulations.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:49 PM

The lakers are one of them most consistent fish you can catch it seems. They always bite. Some days are better than others but over all there is action if you can get on the lake. Great for kids. Heck when I was a kid we used to catch perch but since that dried up the kids like catching the lakers because there is consistent action.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:58 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
The lakers are one of them most consistent fish you can catch it seems. They always bite. Some days are better than others but over all there is action if you can get on the lake. Great for kids. Heck when I was a kid we used to catch perch but since that dried up the kids like catching the lakers because there is consistent action.
Can't wipe the smile of the old folks, father in law loved every minute, said it was the best non stop lake trout fishing he ever did.
image.jpg
We found the bait balls and then it was non stop...light tackle made it really fun!

Old 08-07-2017, 08:00 AM

Wink

Quote:
I was pretty much by myself , only one guy rigged remotely close to my anchor. Watched everyone headed east. Was glad the storm headed north/ northwest , we handled the wind but it's a pain when it keeps shifting. If I can find a 215/75r14 spare today we'll head out tomorrow again. Gotta catch them when they are biting
I got a 14' crestliner...I tend to run away from the big dark clouds...or at least as fast as the 15 horse Honda can go....

Old 08-07-2017, 08:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Can't wipe the smile of the old folks, father in law loved every minute, said it was the best non stop lake trout fishing he ever did.
Attachment 136351
We found the bait balls and then it was non stop...light tackle made it really fun!
There are very few places that offer Lake Trout action this good without going into extremely remote areas. Let's hope it stays this way. Seems like whatever they have set out for a long term management goal is working so far. I like the 30" plus retention and 1 fish limit idea. In fact I like the idea like some B.C lakes of a specified annual catch limit under a special license where you cut out the tags on the permit immediately a fish is retained and once you have reached your annual limit you are not allowed to retain any more until the next license year.

Quote:
I got a 14' crestliner...I tend to run away from the big dark clouds...or at least as fast as the 15 horse Honda can go....
Same here! I'm running a 16' mod v with a 40 merc. When the winds start to pick up so do I....if all goes to plan I'll be running an 18' deep v next season.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Trout caught there with small heads and a gut, feel week, fight week are stocked, the ones caught an and look like a trout or a wild char are wild fish...

I likes 'em lean and hardy...the plugs/stocked are odd and look like McDonald's folks...

When were these fish stocked in?
Old 08-08-2017, 06:16 PM

The lakers they transplanted into Cold lake are silver looking which is 90 % of the lakers caught.
The lakers that are native to the lake are black or should I say very dark.
I have caught both and both can be thick or tin.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
The lakers they transplanted into Cold lake are silver looking which is 90 % of the lakers caught.
The lakers that are native to the lake are black or should I say very dark.
I have caught both and both can be thick or tin.
I have checked AB stocking records back to 2009 and not a single laker stocked in the entire province. Those 4 pound footballs would not be that old! Colour is not a defermining factor in whether they are native or stocked fish either. Lots of unstocked lakes have varied colour of lake trout. Genetics play the part in that.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
I have checked AB stocking records back to 2009 and not a single laker stocked in the entire province. Those 4 pound footballs would not be that old! Colour is not a defermining factor in whether they are native or stocked fish either. Lots of unstocked lakes have varied colour of lake trout. Genetics play the part in that.
I always figured the transplants were reproducing in different areas or at different times than the native population. This would keep the gene pools separate.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:32 PM

I fished last Monday and my first time laker fishing partner and I landed 85 Lakers. then I went back for the Long weekend with my wife and her mom and we fished Saturday and Sunday and landed close to 50. Most were trolling on the Scotty Downriggers but we did stop and jig. My wife caught the biggest and it was 74.5cm jigging and back down she went.

Then I got the hall pass and am going back up with Viral Override next Thursday and then Vigsy and Best Guide are joining us Friday. We're having an Alumacraft fishing party.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:43 PM

See you up there Willow trail !
Old 08-09-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
I fished last Monday and my first time laker fishing partner and I landed 85 Lakers. then I went back for the Long weekend with my wife and her mom and we fished Saturday and Sunday and landed close to 50. Most were trolling on the Scotty Downriggers but we did stop and jig. My wife caught the biggest and it was 74.5cm jigging and back down she went.

Then I got the hall pass and am going back up with Viral Override next Thursday and then Vigsy and Best Guide are joining us Friday. We're having an Alumacraft fishing party.
That sounds like a perfect opportunity to crash your Alumacraft party.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:20 PM

Thumbs up

Was on the lake from 9am to 12 noon and we caught a hockey sock of 'em.
Lake is hot for catch and releaseone keeper but it too was captured on film then released

Son said what do we do in five years when these are 15-20 lbs, I said heavier tackle

Old 08-12-2017, 10:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lake is hot for catch and releaseone keeper but it too was captured on film then released

Son said what do we do in five years when these are 15-20 lbs, I said heavier tackle
Thats Lake Nipigon in NW Ontario. The average Lake Trout is 20 lbs!!
Old 08-14-2017, 09:52 AM

Alumacraft party this weekend! cant wait!
Old 08-14-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Wish it actually worked that way.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:02 PM

Just got back from fishing cold lake for a week .
A lot of lakers this year .
All three of my Grand children ages from 7 to 8 all reeled in their first Laker.
They are all hooked now. .......
Old 08-18-2017, 11:05 PM

It's been crazy , kids have been spoiled , lake trout aren't supposed to be easy. Kids want one more trip before back to school