Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2022, 09:28 AM

Default Electric Grid Alert

So another electric grid alert and we are being advised to conserve electricity. So lets add another million electric vehicles or so, and watch what happens.
Old 12-02-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So another electric grid alert and we are being advised to conserve electricity. So lets add another million electric vehicles or so, and watch what happens.
Our grid wont be able to handle it.at some point E vehicles will be a serious threat to our power supplies.and the greenest place will be the graveyards.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 12-02-2022, 09:50 AM

Let’s put up more wind generation, because we all know how windy Alberta gets when it’s really cold or hot after all….

It’ll save the world you know…..

There are no absolutes
Old 12-02-2022, 10:05 AM

Switzerland is severely restricting electric vehicles this winter, because of power supply concerns.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...shortages.html
Old 12-02-2022, 10:36 AM

If you aren’t in favour of carbon based generation (fossil fuels/coal) then you better accept the nuclear generation option. Relying on the so called “green” generation options is a road to ruin in the less than temperate climate zones.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-02-2022, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
If you aren’t in favour of carbon based generation (fossil fuels/coal) then you better accept the nuclear generation option. Relying on the so called “green” generation options is a road to ruin in the less than temperate climate zones.
Absolutely. We will not ever be "off of oil", but it will eventually disappear. Nuclear is a good option, especially if you live in an area that doesn't experience richter 7 earthquakes, tsunamis and tidal waves.

Alberta should use oil revenues to help start the transition sooner rather than later.
Old 12-02-2022, 11:10 AM

Alberta’s live Current Electrical Supply/Demand Report.

http://ets.aeso.ca/ets_web/ip/Market...DReportServlet
Old 12-02-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Without abundant hydroelectric generation this is absolutely the only currently sensible option. Everything else is a waste of money that will eventually be decommissioned.
Old 12-02-2022, 11:12 AM

Minus 28 here last night. One vehicle plugged in all night because you just can't count on an ambulance like you used to. Maybe shut off some lights in the downtown office towers for a start.
Old 12-02-2022, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
Without abundant hydroelectric generation this is absolutely the only currently sensible option. Everything else is a waste of money that will eventually be decommissioned.
Hydroelectric is pretty much dead as a door knob in Alberta right now, currently proposed or on the drawing board projects are a long way off, and of negligible capacity to begin with. Coupled with limited water flows, flow mandates, and even a bigger NIMBY out cry, maybe 200 mega watts capacity could be added to the grid in maybe 10 years……

At a construction cost of around $1 billion per mega watt capacity……..

There are no absolutes
Old 12-02-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffy71 View Post
Absolutely. We will not ever be "off of oil", but it will eventually disappear. Nuclear is a good option, especially if you live in an area that doesn't experience richter 7 earthquakes, tsunamis and tidal waves.

Alberta should use oil revenues to help start the transition sooner rather than later.
Doesn't matter what you do, there will be opposition. In the end, nuclear is the only real option, like it or not. Those modular reactors they're proposing now, apparently create comparatively 8 to 32x the waste produced by a full scale plant and we still haven't been politically able to deal with that. Ontario wants to dump some of theirs in a shallow burial site adjacent to Lake Huron. Guess how that's going over ?

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-02-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Doesn't matter what you do, there will be opposition. In the end, nuclear is the only real option, like it or not. Those modular reactors they're proposing now, apparently create comparatively 8 to 32x the waste produced by a full scale plant and we still haven't been politically able to deal with that. Ontario wants to dump some of theirs in a shallow burial site adjacent to Lake Huron. Guess how that's going over ?

Grizz
Ontario are adding to their Nuke plants. Funny how that works out east. Heaven forbid Alberta build a pipeline and ship some natural gas to Europe.
Old 12-02-2022, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Our grid wont be able to handle it.at some point E vehicles will be a serious threat to our power supplies.and the greenest place will be the graveyards.
I was told you can plug in your electric vehicle to add power to the grid when it needs it. I laughed, you laughed we all laughed except those who do not understand where the initial electricity came from
Old 12-02-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Switzerland is severely restricting electric vehicles this winter, because of power supply concerns.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...shortages.html
No no no, it can’t be! We were told that EV is our future and the only hope to survive! That is why the state of California banning all gas cars- right?
And Justine said he will power all EVs by himself, just like the budget that balances itself…
Old 12-02-2022, 12:35 PM

What's gonna happen when it gets cold?
Old 12-02-2022, 01:29 PM

I know there is always a concern with a nuclear accident, but I hear people mention the radioactive waste all the time. Has there ever been an incident or issue with stored nuclear waste in this country?

Considering how deep we can drill for oil and gas, is there really an issue with burying the stuff deep enough?

I was listening to a nuclear energy rep on the radio the other day, and even when you factor his bias in, he made some good points about the difference between what people think and fear about nuclear energy in Canada, and the reality being very different.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Conspiracy theory alert. Could it be that the powers that be don't WANT you to drive your car wherever and whenever you want? You can be 100% sure the federal government who wants to ban gas powered cars by 2030 knows the grid can't handle it. Yet they push them. Why? Follow the power. Covid lockdowns were a test run.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:19 PM

I better turn off the Xmas lights.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffy71 View Post
I know there is always a concern with a nuclear accident, but I hear people mention the radioactive waste all the time. Has there ever been an incident or issue with stored nuclear waste in this country?

Considering how deep we can drill for oil and gas, is there really an issue with burying the stuff deep enough?

I was listening to a nuclear energy rep on the radio the other day, and even when you factor his bias in, he made some good points about the difference between what people think and fear about nuclear energy in Canada, and the reality being very different.
New generation nuclear plants have zero risk and next to no waste
People are naive
Train cars of unrefined uranium roll through alberta all the time
Being shipped all around the globe, just like our coal
Old 12-02-2022, 04:00 PM

I wonder out loud if the Christmas lights at the Legislature, and various city/town halls etc. were turned off during this crisis?

There are no absolutes
Old 12-02-2022, 04:03 PM

There are played out Gold Mines and Nickel Mines that are over a mile underground. That is alot of metals heavy rock to absorb any radiation that could ever leak.

Nuclear is a viable option.

Drewski
Old 12-02-2022, 04:05 PM

Default too much draw

My buddies neighbour bought a new ford lightening truck. He has a swim tub in the backyard, was able to upgrade to 160amp (might be 140, but know he couldn't get 200amp in his house) in a new house and because of the amp draw he can not charge his truck at home right now without tripping breaker. Pretty sad considering we currently have less than 5% Electric Vehicles on the road.
Old 12-02-2022, 04:11 PM
Banned

The grid can’t handle everyone owning electric vehicles
Even if you build more reactors, the distribution systems will be the next weak link
It would probably cost over a trillion dollars for every home in canada to be ready for electric vehicles
Old 12-02-2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
People are naive
That’s for sure. I think the biggest risk could be someone blowing them up to release the uranium like a dirty bomb?
Old 12-02-2022, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
There are played out Gold Mines and Nickel Mines that are over a mile underground. That is alot of metals heavy rock to absorb any radiation that could ever leak.

Nuclear is a viable option.

Drewski
https://calgaryherald.com/sponsored/...heres-the-plan

Disposal site is a ways away yet. Close to 10 years before construction would even begin
Old 12-02-2022, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
People are naive
The fella on the radio was explaining that radioactive decay is exponential, (I remember that from somewhere in school), and that spent fuel has relatively low levels or radioactivity, if I remember correctly he said after 100 years, you could hold it in your hand. Probably don't want to eat it, or sleep with it under your bed your whole life, but is it really anywhere as risky as the average joe thinks?

I love the show Chernobyl, still think it is one of the best miniseries I've ever seen, but if that is what people still think about modern reactors, their risks, and the risk of the waste, yeeeesh that industry is starting in a really deep hole.
Old 12-02-2022, 04:27 PM

I have no doubt electric is the future BUT NOT the near future. The power grid and technology are not advanced enough to the point where it’s feasible or reliable enough to do a complete 100% change! Hell I wouldn’t even say we could do a 5-10% change. As for nuclear yes the most viable option but because of 3 disasters people are scared.
Old 12-02-2022, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
A development we ain't ready for
Old 12-02-2022, 05:22 PM

When was the main electrical grid built?
What was the average panel size on a house at that time?
20 years ago people were complaining that a/c were causing blackouts.
Electric cars are mostly charged during the night at lowest demand.
No to nuclear power.

We just need some smart people planning the future of Alberta.

The newest national electrical code has an upsizing of all new installations.

Even though Fortis is making massive profits, since it is deregulated, they have been enjoying the money and putting minimal back into upgrading capital infrastructure. Now we all pay.
My thoughts.
Old 12-02-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper01 View Post
That’s for sure. I think the biggest risk could be someone blowing them up to release the uranium like a dirty bomb?
Unrefined uranium ore is only slightly radioactive and not really dangerous. When I was a teen, I requested a sample from the mine in Northern Saskatchewan, for a science project. They sent me about 5 lbs.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8